question on through way bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondninja

Service Attendant
I'm currently on an LAX to Las Vegas connecting bus, which is actually a Greyhound. The ticket says its the 8000 series.

Does anyone know if these earn AGR points?

I know it says the 7000 series does not earn.

I'm currently on an LAX to Las Vegas connecting bus, which is actually a Greyhound. The ticket says its the 8000 series.

Does anyone know if these earn AGR points?

I know it says the 7000 series does not earn.
The following says that it may take up to 90 days to post.

https://amtrakguestrewards.com/info/terms

Points for 8000-series Thruway service travel may take up to 90 days to be credited. Members should retain their Amtrak ticket stubs or reservation confirmation until the points for their travel appear in their Program accounts.

I suppose that means they require a live ticket, and then they credit the points after some bookkeeping.

Buying thruway tickets alone without Amtrak trains is not a good idea especially the carrier is GLI.

If you buy directly from GLI sometimes the price is cheaper. GLI also has a loyalty program but offers no benefit to people other than frequent travelers or commuters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying thruway tickets alone without Amtrak trains is not a good idea especially the carrier is GLI.

If you buy directly from GLI sometimes the price is cheaper. GLI also has a loyalty program but offers no benefit to people other than frequent travelers or commuters.
It's almost always cheaper, since Amtrak appears to be using their undiscounted fares.

Not sure if it is/was just a California regulation, but my understanding was that you can't just buy throughway bus tickets from Amtrak, if there was no train element to the journey?

One advantage of the Amtrak ticket over the Greyhound, at least from Las Vegas to L.A. was that the Amtrak tickets got to board the bus first...

Ed :cool:

Yes I did have to take the train to LA first then got on the bus. They did handle my bags and let me board first when they saw it was Amtrak.

Also, it was a work trip and my job reimburses me. They are already happy Amtrak is cheaper than the comparable airfare so I'm not worried if the ticket was more than buying direct from greyhound.

Not sure if it is/was just a California regulation, but my understanding was that you can't just buy throughway bus tickets from Amtrak, if there was no train element to the journey?
True, but with a couple of exceptions. The rationale is that it's subsidized service by the state, and it would be unfair to private bus operators.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/33160-amtrak-book-with-train/?p=469635

Service is provided only for passengers on trips where the

passengers have had prior movement by rail or will have subsequent

movement by rail, evidenced by a combination rail and bus one-way or

roundtrip ticket, or service is also provided on State Highway Route

50 between the City of Sacramento and the City of South Lake Tahoe

and intermediate points or on State Highway Route 5 between the

community of Lebec in Kern County and the City of Santa Clarita for

passengers solely by bus if no other bus service is provided by a

private intercity bus company.

I've been able to book some combinations that don't make much sense but fall within the law. I went down via Capitol Corridor, took Caltrain, then a bus from San Francisco to Emeryville. I could book the bus segment with the early train segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a bus (specifically 5818) from Bakersfield through Los Angeles continuing to San Diego. Although I was not on a San Joaquin, or any other train for that matter, I was able to ride from Los Angeles to San Diego. Note the exception here is surely related to this being in the middle-o-night with no Pacific Surfliners running making the AmBus the only option.

There is a bus (specifically 5818) from Bakersfield through Los Angeles continuing to San Diego. Although I was not on a San Joaquin, or any other train for that matter, I was able to ride from Los Angeles to San Diego. Note the exception here is surely related to this being in the middle-o-night with no Pacific Surfliners running making the AmBus the only option.
Technically I think it's part of the Lebec to Santa Clarita I-5 corridor spelled out in the exception. There is no stop in Lebec though. I looked, and the 5804 can be booked from Bakersfield to Santa Ana solely as a bus ride. Bakersfield to LA Union Station has 7 buses per day and all can be booked separately.

Back