Question for first-time in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbburkett

Train Attendant
I've only been on Amtrak once before and that was in a roomette. I'll be doing NYC-Montreal on the Adirondack in a few weeks and have a question about sitting in coach for the first time.

I realize that seats are not assigned, but how does one go about keeping a seat they are already using if they need/want to leave their seat?

Let's say my wife and I both want to stretch our legs and/or go to the cafe car together for a short time...could other passengers take our seats while we're away, leaving us to have to find new seats?

As far as etiquette goes, is there any way to "hold" a seat that someone is already using while they get up or are away from their seat for a little while?

I have read that they usually keep those going the entire distance in certain cars on the Adirondack, so perhaps once everyone is seated in those specific cars it won't be so much of an issue...?

Any thoughts anyone cares to add about this would be appreciated!

I've only been on Amtrak once before and that was in a roomette. I'll be doing NYC-Montreal on the Adirondack in a few weeks and have a question about sitting in coach for the first time.

I realize that seats are not assigned, but how does one go about keeping a seat they are already using if they need/want to leave their seat? Conductor will usually put a "seat check" slip of paper above your seat, indicating it's occupied.

Let's say my wife and I both want to stretch our legs and/or go to the cafe car together for a short time...could other passengers take our seats while we're away, leaving us to have to find new seats? Rarely happens. Leave your coat, book in seat too. (see above)

As far as etiquette goes, is there any way to "hold" a seat that someone is already using while they get up or are away from their seat for a little while?

Politely inform person asking, "This seat is taken" (IF it is)

I have read that they usually keep those going the entire distance in certain cars on the Adirondack, so perhaps once everyone is seated in those specific cars it won't be so much of an issue...? Generally the case.

Any thoughts anyone cares to add about this would be appreciated! There is generally more leg room on LD coaches, enuff to often put a small bag, or something, again, indicating the seat is taken. Should not be an issue.

Years ago when some Amtrak trains in the northeast were unreserved, overcrowding did sometimes lead to seat-theft. But that shouldn't be a problem anywhere now.

Rrdude's comments are bang on. The seat check almost always prevents problems, but placing an item in your seat when you step away is a good precaution regardless. In addition, it never hurts to make some kind of verbal and eye contact with the attendant as you board.

Good advice...some older posts made the problem sound pretty bad, but those were some very old posts from various sites...which is why I wanted a more current perspective :)

Thanks for the tips and the thoughts...doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

One thing you could do if you're concerned about where to sit is to utilize a RedCap. He/shewill get you down to the train before everyone else makes a mad dash (as is often the case at Penn Station), and you will get to preboard. My family and I used a Redcap, and it was much less stressful for us since we were able to sit where we wanted. Please remember to tip him/her. They will also stow your luggage, so you don't have to worry about finding a place for it. You will be seated in one of the last 2 cars; these are the Amfleet II coaches. The have more legroom, and leg rests so it should be a comfortable journey.

The Adirondack is a very scenic trip. I suggest sitting on the left side of the train going up to Albany. You will have a great view of the Hudson River. After Albany, try to sit on the right side if you can do so. The train skirts the shores of Lake Champlain, and it is very beautiful. If the cars are full (as can often be the case in the summer), then I would settle for the right side. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks Oreius. I certainly am planning to utilize the Red Cap and I will definitely be sure to tip them for their service--I know it will come in handy. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to use a Red Cap or pre-board with the extra screen that (I believe) takes place before boarding, but that will be great if we can pre-board.

This will be a round-trip ride so I'm hoping to be able to sit on one side going up and the other side coming back, just to ensure being able to see both sides.

At least out here in the west, "reserved coach" means the car attendant generally assigns you a seat when you board and puts a seat-check above the seat. (or, at some stations along the route, you choose from available seats- and you can tell they're available because there is not a seat check above them).

They don't assign seats on the Adirondack ever. Conductors will assign cars based upon where one is leaving the train; but nothing more.

Leave a book or something that's not valuable on your seat and there is usually a tag above your seat that identifies your destination. You will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back