Question about the Crescent.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does the Crescent occasionally use three Viewliner sleepers or has it always been two?

Depends on the time of season!!!!!!!

It has had as many as 4 V/L's, usually during the holidays.

MJ B)

Usual consist on #20 is two cars; #2010 & 2011 with the 11 car in the lead next to the crew dorm which is a rare commodity these days. Otherwise it is next to the baggage car but we have seen it next to the engine. If they run only one engine, which does happen, you will get to enjoy an awful lot of whistle blowing. #19 has the same consist with the 11 car first out.

In SoCal now, but as of 2 months ago lived 10 years in Atlanta. Usual consist is as listed above, however I have NEVER seen 3 viewliners. Always been either 1 or 2, plus a dorm.

I have seen three sleepers on the Crescent, including this past summer.

I have to disagree. There have not been three sleepers on the Crescent this summer. You may be confusing the dorm car with an additional sleeper, but even the dorm car has been gone for most of the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In SoCal now, but as of 2 months ago lived 10 years in Atlanta. Usual consist is as listed above, however I have NEVER seen 3 viewliners. Always been either 1 or 2, plus a dorm.

Well----first things first----glad to see you back P-42.

I cast my vote as someone who has never seen three Viewliners on the Crescent, six blocks from my home. I see it fairly often, like casually driving by on weekends, or from the bus, even when I am not boardinig it or even deliberately at the station watching it. And then there are those places, well knwon to P-42 I am sure, where one can see it driving around the neighborhoods..

Still, I do not see it every day and in this business/hobby, I learned long ago to "never say never" about equipment or power issues.

In answering this question I am thinking that the questioner was originally talking about Viewliners specificallly and not earlier pre-Amtrak equipment (some of which was eventually labeled "heritage").

If you go back to the older days of 10-6 (and other former designs) sleeping cars, then that opens up an entirely different can of worms. The further back you go the more sleepers on this train or almost any other. This into Amtrak years as well as before.

For instance, already in Amtrak, with 10-6 "heritage" sleepers,it used to drop some sleepers off in Atlanta from NYC each morning, with only one sleeper going all the way to NOL..So, during that period there were indeed 3 sleepers from NYC to ATL, but just one all the way to NOL, but I doubt that you mean that period.

Go back to 1950 and you will find about 10 or so sleepers on it!!!!!

But if you just mean specifically Viewliners, I stay with my observation above that I have never seen that.

In answering this question I am thinking that the questioner was originally talking about Viewliners specificallly and not earlier pre-Amtrak equipment (some of which was eventually labeled "heritage").
If you go back to the older days of 10-6 (and other former designs) sleeping cars, then that opens up an entirely different can of worms. The further back you go the more sleepers on this train or almost any other. This into Amtrak years as well as before.

For instance, already in Amtrak, with 10-6 "heritage" sleepers,it used to drop some sleepers off in Atlanta from NYC each morning, with only one sleeper going all the way to NOL..So, during that period there were indeed 3 sleepers from NYC to ATL, but just one all the way to NOL, but I doubt that you mean that period.

But if you just mean specifically Viewliners, I stay with my observation above that I have never seen that.
Bill, If I went to the Amtrak station in Atlanta, would I be able to take pics of the Cresent in the station?

Bill, If I went to the Amtrak station in Atlanta, would I be able to take pics of the Cresent in the station?
It is an an incredibly small and informal station, I think asking them would make it ok. But you can't go downstairs to the train without a ticket.

There is a small, very small, courtyard to the immediate left at the top of the stairs down to the tracks. You can go out there and watch the train and, I think, with permission, take pictures.People go out there to smoke.

Also you can stand on the bridge overlooking the tracks as the train comes in and as it leaves. It will be clear to you when you see it. The southbound train will come under the bridge opposite side of the street from the station. Once in the station it will depart same side. Oppsoite, of course, northbound.Surely no permission needed there, yet some local cop driving by might wonder what you are doing.

The reason the station is so small is because it was originally built just to be a suburban station. As business decreased the two large downtown stations were demolished, leaving just this one, which happens ot fit today's needs more or less.

The Atlanta Brookwood station is built over the tracks and there is a garden - dedicated to Jim Martin, former President of NARP - where you can stand to take picutures from above. You can also stand on Deering Road, which is parallel to the tracks and take pictures. You cannot get onto the platform without a ticket however. There is also a road that goes under the tracks and takes you to the other side of the train, but this is private NS property and I would not suggest trying to photograph from there.

The Atlanta Brookwood station is built over the tracks and there is a garden - dedicated to Jim Martin, former President of NARP - where you can stand to take picutures from above. You can also stand on Deering Road, which is parallel to the tracks and take pictures. You cannot get onto the platform without a ticket however. There is also a road that goes under the tracks and takes you to the other side of the train, but this is private NS property and I would not suggest trying to photograph from there.

I would advise against Deering Road, however. Your angle is not quite right and you are shooting through a wire fence, plus the overhang of the platform hides part of the train. Better off in the garden whcih in recent years was dedicated to Jim Martin. (but it was there well before that. They did spruce it up at that time,, theyalso spruced it up during the Olympics in 1996).

I would advise against Deering Road, however. Your angle is not quite right and you are shooting through a wire fence, plus the overhang of the platform hides part of the train. Better off in the garden whcih in recent years was dedicated to Jim Martin. (but it was there well before that. They did spruce it up at that time,, theyalso spruced it up during the Olympics in 1996).
Thanks guys for all the info, I plan on going down there Sat. or Sun. morning. I live in Stockbridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back