Question about San Fran Train stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
I am planning on taking Amtrak from San Franciso to Chicago. I will be flying to San Fran from Vegas. I will need to stay overnight in San Fran and am looking for opinions on which San Fran station I should plan to depart from that is convenient for my hotel stay and easily accessible from my hotel.

Thank you

For background: all of the "stations" in San Francisco are actually bus stops. You'll take a short trip across the bay bridge to the station in Emeryville to catch the California Zephyr.

As to which SF station you choose... There's a few things to consider:

If you need to check a bag to Chicago your one and only option is the Ferry Building Bus Station. It's the only staffed station in the city.

If you're only bringing a carry on... Just pick the stop that's nearest your hotel. There's a stop near Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf and if you're staying near Union Square, the Shopping Center stop near the Powell St. Cable Car turnaround is a good choice.

If you want a more specific reccomendation... Let us know where your hotel is located.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the prompt reply. The thing I like best about this forum is the vast amount of knowledge so many of you have for a novice like me. I really don't want to take a bus so I guess my next consideration is to stay in Emeryville and catch the train there. Does anyone know of any nice hotels in Emeryville that are close to the Amtrak Station?

Thank you for the prompt reply. The thing I like best about this forum is the vast amount of knowledge so many of you have for a novice like me. I really don't want to take a bus so I guess my next consideration is to stay in Emeryville and catch the train there. Does anyone know of any nice hotels in Emeryville that are close to the Amtrak Station?
Since your Train leaves Early (9AMish) it would probably be more Convenient to stay in Emeryville! Cheaper too! ;)

Right across the Tracks via a Skywalk from the Emeryville Station there is a nice Hotel that has changed Brands several times but I believe is currently a Hyatt? Also there is a Marriott and several other Chains withing Walking Distance or a Short Cab Ride towards the Waterfront !(the Oakland Bay Bridge runs from here to San Francisco) Google would be good here, choose by Price, the one just across the tracks is the most Convenient! There is also a Large Shopping Mall close to this this Hotel

Yeah the hotel right across the tracks from the Emeryville station is a "Hyatt House."

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use tripadvisor.com and check each hotel in the area. There is the Hyatt House right across the tracks, a Hilton Garden Inn not to far away and I believe a Courtyard pretty close.

I grew up in the area and remember what Emeryville was like before the train station. This was before the Powell Street Plaza and Bay Street shopping areas were built, and before they built the EmeryBay Public Market (which is really sad looking these days except for maybe Peet's Coffee). Back then the big landmark in town was the Judson Steel plant. I remember seeing sparks and molten steel flowing from the open door.

The Hilton Garden Inn is the oldest big hotel in town. It was a Holiday Inn for over 30 years and from the outside looks rather old. I stayed there once after a wedding party and inside it's extremely clean and well maintained. However, I'd recommend not making our mistake in reserving a "mountain view room". A better description would be "freeway" view, along with the noise level that comes with the territory. Although it's well maintained, they can't do much to reduce the noise short of gutting the entire building and installing sound insulation. There's traffic on I-80 24 hours, and you might have issues sleeping with all that noise.

The next oldest large hotel is the Four Points, which is nice but does look a bit older. The more modern looking Courtyard by Marriott is across from the Bay Street shopping area and close to the Ikea. The current Hyatt House has had several names - more recently Hyatt Summerfield Suites, and originally Woodfin Suites. The only thing I've done there was have a company meeting in one of their meeting rooms.

I guess another option would be the Extended Stay American right on the Oakland/Emeryville border, although you'd probably need a car. The Berkeley Marina DoubleTree is pretty nice too, but you'd need a car unless you use their complimentary shuttle. They say they'll send anyone up to three miles, and I think the Amtrak station is within that range.

Well.........After reading the advice on here, I am now planning on flying from LAS to SAC on Monday morning. I can catch a flight from Vegas that will get me into Sacramento at 8:35 AM. Assuming my plane is on time, will I have time to get to the AMTRAK station in SAC for my 11:04 AM departure?

Well.........After reading the advice on here, I am now planning on flying from LAS to SAC on Monday morning. I can catch a flight from Vegas that will get me into Sacramento at 8:35 AM. Assuming my plane is on time, will I have time to get to the AMTRAK station in SAC for my 11:04 AM departure?
You should have no trouble at all making the train if your flight is on time. It's a 15 minute drive at most from the airport to the Amtrak station. You can take a taxi, an airport shuttle or depending on the amount of luggage the Yolobus route 42A from the airport to downtown.

Thanks TP. Appreciate the great info. This will only be my 2nd AMTRAK trip.

See if this works: 9:23 bus Terminal A to 8th & J st. http://www.yolobus.com/media/Sac-SMF.pdf

It is a lot cheaper than a taxi. The bus stop is about 5 blocks from the station.

You might even have enough time to grab something to eat from the small restaurant east of the old station.

I've taken the bus the other way from the station to the SMF airport to rent a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back