Question About Salt Lake City Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Traveler

Service Attendant
We are going to Salt Lake City in June. The CZ arrives around 11 PM. I asked on Trip Advisor and was told that it's not in a great area and that there are no hotels too close. The man who answered me also said that there is a light-rail service, but he was unsure about the times that late. We are looking to find a place to stay when we get off the train and then rent a car the next day to head to The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this?

Returning is even worse, The train leaves for Chicago around 3 AM. I've got no idea where to kill the time. The station is only open from about 10 PM to maybe 4 AM. We are driving in from Wyoming that day and not staying in a hotel since we have to be at the train station in the middle of the night. I'm not too crazy about spending many hours in the train station, so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion. Maybe we are just stuck, though? :unsure:

I'd appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.

I haven't been to Salt Lake in years so I am just going by what I would do to search the area.

Get on a Google map and search for hotels, looks like there might be a couple not very far from Amtrak Station. I'm sure there will be taxis there, or your hotel may have a shuttle. I would do the same type of search for the nearest rental car.

This site, rideuta.com is their light rail site.

If you like to gamble there is Wendover west of Salt Lake, I'm guessing 2 hour drive? Someone else will know.

I have been to the Salt Lake City station recently and observed the westbound train stopped there. Next week I will be arriving there from the east and then continuing west two days later. The station is a small prefab building that opens at 10pm - a decent facility, but nothing to get excited about. It is adjacent to the Light Rail and commuter rail terminal. I believe the Light rail operates up to around midnight. I may take it when I get off the train in the fare free zone to Little America Hotel at 500 S. Main St., where I will be staying. I will be returning a Hertz car to the Marriott at 75 SW Temple. I would suggest you drop the car during the evening, hang out in a restaurant or hotel lobby until late in the evening, and then take a cab for your 3:30am eastbound train. ( I did a stunt like this the other day in Cincinnati - it was so exciting! ) I was just looking up the light rail websit ( punch up UTUTrax ) but it was not cooperative in giving me a schedule. Also, as an additional place to cool your heels if need be, the Amtrak and rail stations are also next to Greyhound, which provides a spartan, although reasonably satisfactory place to wait.

It's me again. Go wo www.rideuta.com I was able to bring up the schedules. It runs leaving the Central station by Amtrak on 11:46pm on weekdays, although stops earlier on weekends. I am a former railroad ticket agent and now tour guide, so I love digging up this kind of information! ( Now please hope that my westbound arrives reasonably on time. You may read my travelogue posted yesterday about my cross country trip this past week - Arizona to DC. )

I wouldn't call it a bad area. The bus and light rail depot is right next door, so there are plenty of cabs to go anywhere you need to go.

Major hotels close by Amtrak Station:

Homewood Suites 423 West 300 South

Hampton Inn 425 South 300 West

Residence Inn 285 West 300 South

Marriott Courtyard 130 West 400 South

Springhill Suites 625 South 300 West

Amtrak Station is at 340 South 600 West, short cab ride to any of these hotels.

Thank you for all the information. You've given me some good suggestions. It sounds like a cab will do us. We had thought of hanging out in a restaurant as long as we could, too. For some reason, I cannot get Google Earth on my computer (something with Firefox, I think), but I have it on my iPhone so I will check it out. Have to check out Firefox again, too.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions! :D

As mentioned before, the station is pretty small. i would get a room. The "Little America" is supposed to be rated the best in hospitality.

Yellow Cab is only a block or two from the Salt Lake Station. Their number is 801-521-2100.

Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back