Question about Osceola's station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this great forum last night and read back quite a ways. Love it!

I'm planning a trip out of Osceola on the westbound CZ soon and I need to know if they have long-term parking available there. I've been there twice in years gone by, but all I seem to remember is a gravel parking lot. I had someone deliver and pick me up that time -- this time I'd like to drive myself there. I will be need to park my car for 2 - 3 weeks.

TIA

Jo

Thanks for the advice...

I did call Amtrak and they told me it is an unmanned station. In the past, it was not.

I cannot find a phone number for the station itself.

There is plenty of free long term parking at Osceola. I have left my car there many times up to a week in length with no problems at all. It is in the gravel lot just to the south of the station. The station is staffed by a retired couple "Pat and J.R." who open up the station, help people onto trains, keep them updated on arrival times, etc. They are very knowledgeable about Amtrak but aren't actually offical agents who can sell tickets, check baggage. Usually they will take down your license plate # if you are going to be gone for awhile and check on your car every day for you. Not promising that your car would be safe, but I'd feel comfortable parking there anytime. Good luck!

It really just depends on which area you live in. I have left my car at the Redding, California Amtrak Station for as long as two weeks without any problems. Some cities are pretty safe and there are others where you probably wouldn't want to leave your car for even an hour. I doubt you would have any problems at Osceola.

According to the National Timetable, this station does have free overnight parking. This is where I find all my parking information for stations. Not sure why its not online.

Chris

Important points to remember when parking and leaving your car. Leave nothing in it. If the car is completely empty when they look in the windows, they have no reason to bust into it. The other thing I do is pull the computer fuse or unplug the ignition module. That way, if they do try to steal it, it won't start and they probably will leave it alone.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I tried today to contact Osceola's chamber of commerce to no avail, so finding these responses tonight was extremely helpful!

Guest_Coachseats.....I have met Pat twice. We have boarded from Osceola twice, the last time being 2001. I thought they were official Amtrak employees, so I couldn't understand the "unmanned" station as Amtrak described.

I also remember boarding on the wb CZ we had to cross the tracks to wait for the train. I couldn't believe that there would be no one there anymore because that would be downright dangerous without someone knowing what was going on. (Of course Amtrak could come in on the other track, but...)

It is really nice to know that Pat and her husband look after things. I remember Pat and J.R. had a little gift shop and sold Amtrak blankets: I still have mine. I will definitely look forward to visiting with them when I arrive.

Thanks to everyone again, and especially Guest_Coachseats....you have relieved me of great worry and my spouse from getting up in the wee hours to come get me when I return. lol

Chris -- I'll pick up a copy of the national time table during my excursion. (Or have one of my many UP-employed relatives find one for me.)

bmlock -- thanks for the great advice. My car has nothing in it, plus the one I'm taking isn't very new...so hopefully it will be left alone. Great tip on the fuse and ignition module! I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

Now -- to focus on the fun of the trip! My dad was a UP engineer for over 40 years, and when I was a kid we had free Amtrak passes on the UP lines. I rode frequently, alone, visiting my sisters who lived in Wyoming. Long time ago that Amtrak regularly went through Wyoming! (And I think it's a beautiful trip through Wyo, for what it's worth -- never borning.) Dad always knew the conductor and when he put me on the train, he'd make me go meet him and told him to keep an eye on me -- so I couldn't get into any trouble! Happy memories.

Jo

Old Engineer said:
Now -- to focus on the fun of the trip!  My dad was a UP engineer for over 40 years, and when I was a kid we had free Amtrak passes on the UP lines.   I rode frequently, alone, visiting my sisters who lived in Wyoming.  Long time ago that Amtrak regularly went through Wyoming!  (And I think it's a beautiful trip through Wyo, for what it's worth -- never borning.)  Dad always knew the conductor and when he put me on the train, he'd make me go meet him and told him to keep an eye on me -- so I couldn't get into any trouble!  Happy memories.

Jo
Aloha

I just want to say, the last paragraph, which I quoted, is, in my mind, the importance of life, the reason we are community.

Mahalo for the warm fuzzy feeling.

Eric

Back