Question about Dinner time on Departure Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbytony

Train Attendant
My train departs at 6:15 PM. I have a sleeper and there my meals are included. Will I get a meal on departure day or should a pig out before I board?

I will be boarding in Los Angeles.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My train departs at 6:15 PM. I have a sleeper and there my meals are included. Will I get a meal on departure day or should a pig out before I board?

Thank you.
On the Southwest Chief leaving LA at 6:15, dinner is served very shortly after departing LA, and the LSA will go through the train almost upon departure (maybe before) giving out meal reservations.

As a more general, not train-specific, answer, 6:15 is within normal meal hours, so for any train with dining service, the answer is "yes", dinner will be served.

With that said, it depends on some things, the main one is if you are boarding at something other than the originating station and the train is very late. The meal times are based on the time not the location where the train is at. So if your 6:15 train showed up at 9:15, chances of your getting dinner are iffy. The other thing about boarding at an intermediate station during meal hours is usually the sleeping car attendant will have made a reservation for you. If he doesn't give it to you when you board or he stops by your room for the little welcome aboard, do you have any questions about your room speech, as him.

Last edited by a moderator:
when we have taken the swc out of lax we have ususally eaten around 8. iirc, the earliest reservation is for around 7:30 and as the above poster noted the lsa will come through the sleepers taking reservations shortly after departure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back