Qs about food/baggage on California Zephyr from relative newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I've been on the eastbound Zephyr in the final stretch they're in a hurry with lunch.  Sometimes the diner is only open for a little over an hour, and they tend to be out of a lot of choices. But, last week, there were very few people on the train, so I would think coach passengers would be able to drop in to eat. 

It never hurts to ask. The worst they can do is say, "No."

Edit To Add: Oh, and you can never tell when there's going to be a no-show. In 2016 aboard the Zephyr we had a mixup when my father, who remained in his H-room, failed to ask the steward for a dinner reservation while Mom and I were in the Sightseer Lounge. By the time we sorted that out we were told that all the slots were full and that there was no room left for us. Well, I asked to be placed on the stand-by list. Sure enough, about 7:30 someone failed to respond to the call and they called us to the dining car. We had the full choice of entrees to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I've been on the eastbound Zephyr in the final stretch they're in a hurry with lunch.  Sometimes the diner is only open for a little over an hour, and they tend to be out of a lot of choices. But, last week, there were very few people on the train, so I would think coach passengers would be able to drop in to eat. 
Yeah, the one time I was on the Zephyr, they were really hustling to finish lunch service hours before arrival. Same thing on the Eagle. Also, for some reason on the latter train they chose to use plastic silverware for that meal.  :mellow:

Yeah, the one time I was on the Zephyr, they were really hustling to finish lunch service hours before arrival. Same thing on the Eagle. Also, for some reason on the latter train they chose to use plastic silverware for that meal. 
default_mellow.png
Perhaps there's an issues with the dishwasher..? No dish soap? Low on water?

I'm not very familiar with Mt. Pleasant IA, but I can assure the OP that, at 6 PM, there will be at least 5 places there that are open and will have a better meal at a lower price than the Zephyr dining car.    So, unless it is is a once-in-a-lifetime bucket list kind of deal, I'd suggest just enjoying the ride and looking forward to a nice meal after you get off the train.

I recall going to the diner in the Star and Meteor without reservations in the last 8 years.  I do not remember the dining car protocol in the late 80's
In the earlier Amtrak years, the Silvers had a “buffeteria”. You lined up at the counter and chose your food, then went to the cashier to pay for it. Then an Amtrak employee carried your tray to your table for you. I don’t think there were reservations then. 

Personally I hated it! :angry: Talk about a kindergarten walk!

On the LSL from NYP to ALB, it used to run non-stop. Back when it had a DC, I was told to go to dinner whenever I wanted before ALB. They said after ALB, all the BOS passengers will be going to dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the LSL from NYP to ALB, it used to run non-stop. Back when it had a DC, I was told to go to dinner whenever I wanted before ALB. They said after ALB, all the BOS passengers will be going to dinner.
Yup!   And I'm one of 'them' in the Boston section.  I did and still do ride coach to ALB then switch to the NY section sleeper to get a lower price, avoid the horn noise all night long, and, of course, be in the dinner shortly after the HEP comes back on!  Although when I took #449/49 back in September, I bought my dinner in the lounge car (from Boston) and skipped the 'diner/joke/dog food' meal in the brand new 'lounge car'.

In the earlier Amtrak years, the Silvers had a “buffeteria”. You lined up at the counter and chose your food, then went to the cashier to pay for it. Then an Amtrak employee carried your tray to your table for you. I don’t think there were reservations then. 
I take it this is what we're talking about?

Back