PRR Strasburg Museum Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Several weeks ago I was able to visit the PRR Museum in Strasburg, PA. It is right across the street from the Strasburg Tourist RR. I didn't have enough time to ride that train, but was able to walk through the museum for a couple of hours. A great place to visit if you are ever in the area.

They have quite a model railroad collection in various places in the building.

merge-1.jpg

Right inside the main entrance is a collection of rail posters and pictures.

merge-2.jpg

They have on display a number of old steam engines.

merge-3.jpg

My favorites are the old diesels and electrics. That blue looking steam engine is a firless steam unit. Ask Whooz about it. He's and expert on them.

merge-4.jpg

Some nicely restored freight and passenger cars, too.

1merge-5.jpg

Outside are some units in various stages of repair. Could that have been a Broadway Limited Observation car?

merge-6.jpg

I was able to see a Strasburg train ready for departure. I then drove down to the next intersection to wait for it to go by. This is where the Red Caboose Motel is located. A collection of old cabeese that have been converted into motel rooms. Looks like an interesting place.

merge-7.jpg

Wish I could have had more time to spend and to have ridden the Strasborg Rail. If you are interested in all my pictures from this excursion, they are HERE.

Many Thanks for the pics! Strasburg is one of those things on the list of mine that I really need to make the committment to get off the list.

The photo of Ma&Pa #81 is particularly of interest to me. The route that this Locomotive plied is just 3 blocks from where I live, the closest railroad past and present to me! Sadly, #81 made its last run into Baltimore in 1958, so I never got the chance to see this railroad in person, having "arrived" myself in the early 70's.

I loved the Strasburg when I went there. But one thing that bugs me about that museum is that they seem to favour really old, heavy-weight and earlier displays, verses the equally important, more modern, streamliners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back