protocol for cutting through dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with City of Miami, I live simply with my Extravagance Limited to LD Train Rides and Blue Bell Ice Cream! :wub: ("It's from where the Cows are Happy @ the Little Creamery in Brenham, Texas!")
I may not like french fries, but I do like ice cream. ^_^

I'll tell you yet another way you can have a "net worth" of a million dollars, and no access to money..

Trusts. I once knew someone who had a trust set up for them. Except, well, the money wasn't accessible for some long period, according to the terms of the trust, and the trustee wasn't interested in handing out any of the money (and quite possibly interested in stealing it, from what I could tell). Legally, this money was "hers", but she had no way to get access to any of it. This is actually a very old pattern dating back to the Victorian period and before.

There are lots and lots of ways to have money tied up in "illiquid assets" which you can't sell, can't borrow against, and basically have no access to. There are also people who supposedly have "vested money" in pension plans, but can't access it. There's all kinds of stuff like this.

Heck, on paper Amtrak has lots and lots of assets. But they aren't saleable to anyone at better than scrap prices, and banks won't even lend against most of them any more. So Amtrak is chronically short on cash.

almost everybody (see mathematical definiton of "almost everywhere") in the USA lives in subsidized housing - whether the mortgage interest deduction, section 8, presidents (of the USA or of universities), rent-controlled apartments in NYC, or Halliburton employees near the Williston oilfields.

"Living in subsidized housing" is a jest. Maybe a poor one.

About terms of address - if you try to be polite and the other party takes offense - adjust.
Perhaps almost everyone does, but I do not. I receive none of the benefits enumerated here.
Same here. No mortgage deduction. No section eight. No political benefit. No education benefit. No rent-controlled anything. No employee discount. So who exactly is subsidizing my housing?
That is us exactly, and I would ask the same question, who is subsidizing our housing?

Does anyone else have trouble remembering which threads here went off track in which direction? I keep having to remind myself "Oh yeah, if you want to keep reading the thread about everyone's personal finances, you have to click on the "cutting through the dining car" thread. And if you want to read about Waffle House taking over the dining car operations, click on the French Toast thread..."

Does anyone else have trouble remembering which threads here went off track in which direction? I keep having to remind myself "Oh yeah, if you want to keep reading the thread about everyone's personal finances, you have to click on the "cutting through the dining car" thread. And if you want to read about Waffle House taking over the dining car operations, click on the French Toast thread..."
:D

I was just wondering what thread in the history of AU has the most posts & how much of it was off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just wondering what thread in the history of AU has the most posts & how much of it was off topic.
Well, you can sort the forum by Most Replies and Most Views. Aside from the pinned results, many of the more popular threads seem to have stayed fairly well on topic - mostly for their inherently inflammatory nature. So, it looks like feeding the trolls really does keep the trolls going...

Interestingly enough, the most popular thread by Views, by far, is one about parking in St. Louis. At 26,647 views, it's more than three times more popular than the next most-viewed thread.

So, I guess if you really want to start the most popular thread of all time, you should complain that Amtrak should be shut down because of all the uneducated, whining millionaire kids who don't tip enough at the St. Louis station!

I'm guessing the protocol for cutting through a diner might involve permission from Amtrak, an acetylene torch. and a good amount of time. :huh: Maybe once the heritage diners are retired one could arrange something with Amtrak as a P.R.stunt? :)

Parking in St. Louis?? :unsure:

Is that one the French fry/hot tub thread?

I only discovered AU last year, but I think my favorite so far is the uneducated convicts thread. If I ever get to take another train trip, I plan to bring a crayon and try to teach them to write their names in the dining car. I was am a teacher, after all. (My certificate is still valid.)

Parking in St. Louis?? :unsure: Is that one the French fry/hot tub thread?

I only discovered AU last year, but I think my favorite so far is the uneducated convicts thread. If I ever get to take another train trip, I plan to bring a crayon and try to teach them to write their names in the dining car. I was am a teacher, after all. (My certificate is still valid.)
I loved the uneducated convicts thread too - hilarious rant, imo.

If you want to explore the most viewed or replied to threads yourself do this:

Go to the Amtrak Rail Discussion page

In the blue bar at the top of the thread list you'll see:

recently updated

start date

most replies

most views

Click on any one of those and you can sort the thread list accordingly

Use 'custom' to filter the results, check 'remember filters' to save your filter choices

'show all' to see the oldest threads

'descending (Z-A)' to see the most replies/views first

:D

I'd say that the "Name The Station" is the Thread with the Most Views and Responses and that 99.9% of the Responses were on Topic which is Very Unusual on AU! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back