Protests in Chicago about the new SDS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AmtrakFan said:
http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/24562.php  Found this online about the Emplyoees protesting the Simplified Dining Service plan.
I had planned to attend the protest, but I was on 22 coming home from Fort Worth. Seems it got some press coverage.

I just had an exciting trip by the way. I was at crew base on call Friday, and got sent down to work the Cafe Car on the Heartland Flyer for a few days. I was semi-deadheading home on 22 Tuesday night, and while chatting outside with the conductors and engineer during the um-teenth freight delay, the engineer invited me to ride in the engine with him to Longview. I had about an hour in there. He even had me do the horn a few times. Best view in the house I must say. It had been a bit of a bad day for me and I was anxious to get home and homesick after 5 days, but that made it all better. It was the opportunity of a lifetime and I doubt I'll ever have another chance.

:rolleyes: And Congress has nothing to do with this program? <_<

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari conceded that the nation's passenger rail network hopes to save "tens of millions of dollars" through the "simplified menus," but said he has found the quality of the food "pretty good."
Most of the preparation is done elsewhere, but the meals will still be  "finished" by on-board personnel.

Magliari said Congress, which provides annual subsidies for Amtrak,  ordered it to cut food service losses -- or else.
Well at least this "Mouthpiece" for Amtrak infers they do.

Boxcar Dummy said:
:rolleyes: And Congress has nothing to do with this program? <_<
Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari conceded that the nation's passenger rail network hopes to save "tens of millions of dollars" through the "simplified menus," but said he has found the quality of the food "pretty good."
Most of the preparation is done elsewhere, but the meals will still be  "finished" by on-board personnel.

Magliari said Congress, which provides annual subsidies for Amtrak,  ordered it to cut food service losses -- or else.
Well at least this "Mouthpiece" for Amtrak infers they do.
Congress required that Amtrak cut losses in food and beverage service and sleeping car service. How that was accomplished was up to Amtrak.

AmtrakFan said:
Cool!!! I thought the Heartland Flyer LSA's were Ft. Worth Based?   Or do they do a cycle from Chicago?
You are correct. They are based out of FTW. But I think they only have 3 LSA's for the Flyer. Hence, there is no LSA Extra Board. So when one of them has vacation or other time off, they "borrow" from Chicago. Fourtunately, they try to bring us down a day early so we have some time to unwind and see the city. I'm actually quite envious. They always use the same "panic box" cafe car, so they can decorate for the holidays and keep stock as well as any job related personal items on the car. I think that's cool. Here, we sometimes have unload and reload to a different consist to continue a cycle. Great folks down there at the FTW crew base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back