Protesters blocking trains in Berkeley, California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
They also blocked I-80 and shut down the Berkeley BART station, so I'm wondering if I should just stay home this week.

920x920.jpg

Berkeley protest swells to more than 1,000, closes I-80

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Five-held-in-latest-Berkeley-protest-5942600.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Please avoid posting anything political and stay on topic. Posts that are political and/or otherwise inappropriate will be hidden.

Please avoid posting anything political and stay on topic. Posts that are political and/or otherwise inappropriate will be hidden.
My apologies. I wasn't sure what was the amount of discussion that crossed into what would be considered political. I'll just say I don't believe that anyone should be standing on a train track blocking a train and leave it at that.

What the Hell happened to my Post!
I wish your post could have remained so everyone on the forum would have a chance to see how you really think. But I guess your call for the intentional and indiscriminate murder of protesters didn't go over so well. Maybe you should read a book or watch a documentary on what separates actual terrorism from protesting before you post again. While you're at it you could read up on the inherent flaws in guilt by association and mob justice. Or just move away from whatever cultural wasteland is cultivating and insulating such views.

Back on topic the Starlight was delayed five hours, but at least it held at Oakland so passengers who wanted to get "fresh air" could do so. It looks like west Capitols and the last northbound San Joaquin were annulled at Martinez or Richmond so people could be bused in. The reason the protesters could block the train was that it was stopped at a station, and they just blocked the grade crossing north of it. The cops were busy with the people on the freeway and the train was an afterthought, but even after the protestors got tired and left, the crew timed out for the night. Trainorders has the LSA giving a brief play by play of the situation.

Back on topic the Starlight was delayed five hours, but at least it held at Oakland so passengers who wanted to get "fresh air" could do so. It looks like west Capitols and the last northbound San Joaquin were annulled at Martinez or Richmond so people could be bused in. The reason the protesters could block the train was that it was stopped at a station, and they just blocked the grade crossing north of it. The cops were busy with the people on the freeway and the train was an afterthought, but even after the protestors got tired and left, the crew timed out for the night. Trainorders has the LSA giving a brief play by play of the situation.
Just wondering if an incident like this is something that Amtrak Police or UP Police are trained to handle. Last Saturday I was heading home from San Francisco via AC Transit. I probably should have booked a thruway bus to get back to EMY, but I didn't think about doing that. The bus driver was informed that Berkeley PD had blocked off downtown, and the bus was full of Cal students (they all whipped out student IDs that serve as bus passes). We got off in Emeryville and walked to the station to pick up my car. On the way home it' was CHP that blocked off the University Ave exit.

I think I'll just have to monitor any developments tonight when I get home. I just hope 80 isn't shut down again. Worst case may be that I find lodging near work and stay the night.

Would the moderators please IM the offenders when removing a post with an explanation as to why it was? Not in this thread, but in another one, I had one removed. May have been a bit rude, but certainly not worse than much of what is posted around these parts.

Just wondering if an incident like this is something that Amtrak Police or UP Police are trained to handle. Last Saturday I was heading home from San Francisco via AC Transit. I probably should have booked a thruway bus to get back to EMY, but I didn't think about doing that. The bus driver was informed that Berkeley PD had blocked off downtown, and the bus was full of Cal students (they all whipped out student IDs that serve as bus passes). We got off in Emeryville and walked to the station to pick up my car. On the way home it' was CHP that blocked off the University Ave exit.

I think I'll just have to monitor any developments tonight when I get home. I just hope 80 isn't shut down again. Worst case may be that I find lodging near work and stay the night.
Well according to the LSA on TO Amtrak and UP police gave rides once the the situation was over. There are alternate routes, San Pablo Avenue, Sacramento, and the worst case scenario of going over the Berkeley Hills. BART is now closing stations once protesters begin to assemble, so that trains don't cause cascading delays in the system (they have enough trouble as it is with random mechanical delays). Remember that the Amtrak was stopped at the station when the direct action occurred. I doubt anyone would be so daft as to get in front of a MOVING train.

Well according to the LSA on TO Amtrak and UP police gave rides once the the situation was over. There are alternate routes, San Pablo Avenue, Sacramento, and the worst case scenario of going over the Berkeley Hills. BART is now closing stations once protesters begin to assemble, so that trains don't cause cascading delays in the system (they have enough trouble as it is with random mechanical delays). Remember that the Amtrak was stopped at the station when the direct action occurred. I doubt anyone would be so daft as to get in front of a MOVING train.
I know all the alternate routes home. Still, I need to figure out which one to take to avoid getting stuck.

The matter is simple. The people blocking access to public transportation are breaking the law. Therefore they are criminals and should be arrested and dealt with accordingly. Peaceful protest for a peaceful redress of grievances is everyone right but criminal trespass, punishing the innocent and promoting anarchy is not their right.

Actually the matter is not as simple as that. Without passing any judgement on the immediate matter at hand, it depends on the context of such action, as to whether they are justified or not. For example if all such actions were indiscriminately dealt with or avoided by protesters, without concern for basic issues of reasonableness of the law or its enforcement or lack thereof, in a given situation, it is almost certain that neither the US nor India would be independent nations today. Both of those would have been a bad thing IMHO. So, yeah, not that simple at all.

According to the article, the protesters blocked train tracks, a freeway, and a bike path. Truly a multi-modal bunch. All they need is an airport and a ferry terminal to complete the punch card.

Is the line they are on UP trackage? Wouldn't that mean that the protesters are trespassing as well?

peter

According to the article, the protesters blocked train tracks, a freeway, and a bike path. Truly a multi-modal bunch. All they need is

an airport and a ferry terminal to complete the punch card.
Collect all 5 and they get the space port for free!

peter

According to the article, the protesters blocked train tracks, a freeway, and a bike path. Truly a multi-modal bunch. All they need is an airport and a ferry terminal to complete the punch card.
Hat trick!

Hat trick!
I'll be OK as long as an octopus isn't involved.

27ef1ee1e3f0db7c6ec0d48adc17ffe3-getty-141676805.jpeg

Last night I got home early because I wasn't feeling too well. Driving home from EMY, I saw a line of Berkeley PD motorcycles on the University Ave overpass (right over the Amtrak station) although the exit wasn't closed yet. They were getting ready for something to go down, but I think I missed the festivities.

There used to be a ferry right there. In fact there were streetcars that led to the end of what's now the Berkeley Pier, and from there one could board a ferry to San Francisco.

I'm betting they take over San Jose airport next. After the stowaway and the lady who got on the plane without a ticket it should be a walk in the park for some determined protesters.

I'm betting they take over San Jose airport next. After the stowaway and the lady who got on the plane without a ticket it should be a walk in the park for some determined protesters.
There hasn't even been a hint of anything going down anywhere near San Jose. It's all been Oakland, San Francisco, and Berkeley.

According to the article, the protesters blocked train tracks, a freeway, and a bike path. Truly a multi-modal bunch. All they need is

an airport and a ferry terminal to complete the punch card.
Collect all 5 and they get the space port for free!

peter
It's a looooong walk to Vandenberg :)

I generally support the right to protest, I don't have a problem with people that block a highway for a few minutes... but delaying mass transit by up to five hours? That's going overboard. If it happens again I would hope Amtrak police is ready to take them off the tracks.

For a local point of view, word is more will happen tonight (people were planning to go to City Council to lodge complaints, but that meeting got postponed). At other protests I've seen people let public transportation through the blockades; last night was a bit unusual even for Berkeley. The bike path goes over the freeway to a park and has been a prime spot for dropping banners during protests from the day it opened. It even has a statue of protestors on it! http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/uploadedImages/City_Manager/Level_3_-_Civic_Arts/I-80%2013.jpg

Wednesday night we're due for the heaviest rains (finally!) in over a decade so I guess most people will stay home, but I wouldn't be surprised if highways and trains closed due to flooding or mud. I'd suggest to avoid planning any non-essential travel through the East Bay until Saturday.

I generally support the right to protest, I don't have a problem with people that block a highway for a few minutes... but delaying mass transit by up to five hours? That's going overboard. If it happens again I would hope Amtrak police is ready to take them off the tracks.
Amtrak Police have only about 500 officers (most in the NEC) nationwide, and I think they'd be hard pressed to do any kind of massive crowd removal without the help of local law enforcement. UP Police aren't huge either, but the Bay Area is an important region for them. In this case local LE had its hands full. I'm not sure if neighboring cities could help since they rarely handle riots, although Alameda Sheriff could probably lend a hand. UC Police often renders aid to Berkeley, but they're probably on alert too at this time for the campus area.

From my understanding, the track blockers started leaving, but at a certain point the staff had to clock out by law and there was nobody to move the train.

There hasn't even been a hint of anything going down anywhere near San Jose. It's all been Oakland, San Francisco, and Berkeley.
That was a joke based on the two major security breeches at San Jose.

Amtrak Police have only about 500 officers (most in the NEC) nationwide, and I think they'd be hard pressed to do any kind of massive crowd removal without the help of local law enforcement. UP Police aren't huge either, but the Bay Area is an important region for them. In this case local LE had its hands full. I'm not sure if neighboring cities could help since they rarely handle riots, although Alameda Sheriff could probably lend a hand. UC Police often renders aid to Berkeley, but they're probably on alert too at this time for the campus area.

From my understanding, the track blockers started leaving, but at a certain point the staff had to clock out by law and there was nobody to move the train.
I'm sure ALCO's law enforcement agencies have some sort of mutual aid agreement and just because neighboring agencies rarely handle riots (as we would hope is the case with all law enforcement agencies) that does not mean that they don't train to handle them.

That was a joke based on the two major security breeches at San Jose.

I'm sure ALCO's law enforcement agencies have some sort of mutual aid agreement and just because neighboring agencies rarely handle riots (as we would hope is the case with all law enforcement agencies) that does not mean that they don't train to handle them.
The neighboring police departments are in Albany, Emeryville, Oakland, El Cerrito, and Kensington. I'm sure Oakland has a lot of experience with this sort of thing, but they're stretched thin right about now. And "train" might not have been the right word, but I'd be surprised if they have any practical experience unless some of the officers worked at other departments. Now UCPD has a lot of experience with this sort of thing.

For the most part I think railroad police respond to individual incidents - primarily to investigate. I was looking for the kind of mutual aid that railroad police get, and one thing I read about was how UP had an enforcement effort in Fresno for trespassing by cutting across tracks and illegally entering crossing controls after the lights have flashed; they enlisted the aid of 15 Fresno officers. Just this morning I saw the lights flashing and the train lights getting closer, but people were still crossing the tracks along the sidewalk. It just doesn't occur to anyone to just wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back