Pros & Cons for this trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are doing a smiliar version of a trip we had planned in September, although the opposite direction. We were told that it would be better if we would take the CS to Sacramento. There is no need for an overnight stay doing that.

If you're interested, I could post our itineary. The main thing we did differently is that we were going south from Pittsburgh by way of DC to Atlanta and then to NO and overnight. We were stopping in Tuscon for three nights, so all this took some juggling. Amtrak was very helpful with this trip. Originally, we were going to return from Seattle by way of the EB, but since we have done that both ways completely, we decided to do the CZ as we only only been on that as far as Salt Lake City.

We also had the points and specifically put a trip to South America last January on the card instead of writing a check to build it up. Amtrak was also very helpful with the use of the points. And we had a bedroom from Seattle to Chicago. It cost us 90,000 points and we got back almost 5,000 of them.

We had to cancel the trip because our daughter is having a baby in September, but at the end of this month, we are rescheduling it for late May of next year.

Yes, I'd love to take a look.

Did they say why SAC was better?

Congrats on the expected grandchild! We had to cancel a trip to Aruba for the same reason one time, and never did reschedule it. Hope your trip goes well, thanks.

This was our trip:

Train 30 CL 9/9/13 lv Pgh 4:50 AM, ar DC 12:40 PM

Train 19 Crescent 9/9/13 lv DC 6:30 PM, ar NO 8:13 AM (9/10)

Train 1 SL 9/11/13 lv NO 9 AM, ar Tucson 6:45 PM (9/12)

Train 1 SL 9/15/13 lv Tucson 7:35 PM, ar LA 5:35 AM (9/16)

Train 14 CS 9/16/13 lv LA 10:25 AM, ar Seattle 8:45 PM (9/17)

Return (after time in Seattle/San Juan Islands/Victoria)

Train 11 CS 9/25/13 lv Seattle 9:45 AM, ar Sacramento 6:15 AM (9/26)

Train 6 CZ 9/26/13 lv. Sacramento 11:09 AM, ar CHI 2:50 PM (9/28)

I can't find the info for our last leg into PGH, but basically it would be leaving on CL @ 6PM, arriving in PGH @ 4:30 AM 9/29). We've done that many times.

Since it was last fall since I made these reservations, I'm not positive of the exact reason he gave me for catching the CZ out of Sacramento, but he did say that it was their standard routing from the CS. It did make more sense to me as I was on my own figuring that I'd do EMY, but I'm pretty sure that entailed an overnight where by going out of Sacramento no overnight was required. I thought his suggestion was a good one.

We had roomettes on every connection except from Seattle to CHI where we had a bedroom, which was cheaper than most other bedrooms if I remember correctly. With all the points, this trip was going to cost us out of pocket $553.60 for the rail. We did not use points for every single leg, and the man at Amtrak was a big help with this.

We thought that the timing on the trains on this trip maximized our best hours for the best scenery.

Crescent2, I may have missed other replies, but you mentioned one of the reasons you wanted a bedroom was that you could see out of both sides of the train. I don't think this is correct, unless it's a family bedroom, and those don't have bathrooms.

It sounds like a great trip, though. We are planning one similar as well, thanks for getting these good ideas out of the AUers and into my head...

Crescent2, I may have missed other replies, but you mentioned one of the reasons you wanted a bedroom was that you could see out of both sides of the train. I don't think this is correct, unless it's a family bedroom, and those don't have bathrooms.
Well the family room & the H-room are the only two rooms that actually have windows on both sides of the room. However, in a Bedroom if you leave the curtain open at your doorway, then you can look across the hall and see out the hall window. This basically allows you to look out both sides of the train. Of course it also means that those walking down the hall can see into your room and at least momentarily block your view.

You can look out your door, across the hall and out the windows.

I know that you're nervous about the connections and that's leading you towards the CONO, but I can't get excited about the CONO as a train and it forces the overnight in NOL. I really think that this is your best bet:

ATL-CVS on the Crescent

CVS-CHI on the Card - that gives you a nice 7 hour daytime connection in Charlottesville (7 am to 2 pm, and CVS is a great place to spend a day)

CHI-SAC on the CZ. Roughly a 5 hour layover into CHI, this is a pretty safe connection - on time, it's a perfect Willis Tower, Giordiano's lunch and back to the station layover.

SAC-PDX on the CS. Nice looooong 10 hour layover (2pm to midnight). Opportunity to transfer further down the line for more train time and less layover time if things go well.

PDX-CHI on the EB. Shortest layover (1h15), but I looked at it in another thread this week and it's very makeable. If it missed, a bus connection means you'll still get your room on the same train, so there's a good fallback plan.

CHI-WAS on the CL. For problematic times of year, this connection can be dicey. Given your flexible dates, you can avoid those times of year, and the CL is getting a 30 minute later schedule that will help.

WAS-ATL on the Crescent. 5ish hour connection in DC, very safe.

Great scenery on every train, no overnight layovers, the only time you pass over the same tracks is between Atlanta and CVS, and that's at night.

PA Traveler - you could have also connected from the CS to CZ in either DAV or MTZ. You could have slept later and also had breakfast on the CS. They don't start breakfast service until the wheels turn departing SAC. And both DAV and MTZ are same morning connections.

PA Traveler - you could have also connected from the CS to CZ in either DAV or MTZ. You could have slept later and also had breakfast on the CS. They don't start breakfast service until the wheels turn departing SAC. And both DAV and MTZ are same morning connections.
Thanks for that information. I can't remember the exact details since I made those reservations last October, but I'll do a little more homework before I call at the end of the month to reschedule. I do remember the man telling me that Sacramento is where they routed their passangers from the CS to the CZ. The idea of sleeping later and having breakfast on the CS is definitely appealing. Thanks again.

If you get the Right Agent they will even let you Connect in Emeryville, I've done it several times! :) Disclaimer: with the new e-ticketing system you need to be aware of your Train Status and if the CS is running Late you will need to let theConductor/Attendant know so you can make your connection in MTZ/DAV or even SAC if need be! A No-Show now Cancels your continuing Reservation on Amtrak! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everyone! So much great info and suggestions.

PA, I think Amtrak does a good job of maximizing daylight hours for the best scenery, too. I hope your rescheduled trip goes well. Please let us know how it goes.

Slasheroo, I'd love to see your itinerary. On the views, I meant what Alan and Ryan said, sorry I wasn't more clear. I think the views out both sides from a BR are good enough that they are a seldom-mentioned factor in deciding which accommodations to choose, if scenery is important.

Ryan, thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm not all that excited about the CONO either, but that connection to the CL really worries me because the record isn't good. What times of year do you think would be safer re making the connection AND be good for the other trains that have semi-regular problems? I was thinking maybe April or early May for the trip, which I thought might be good times for avoiding the track work bustitutions on the CZ and the big summer delays on the EB. But April may be too early?

I'm trying to convince myself that even if I had to go coach the rest of the way from CHI home, I'd be OK. But, that would be two days and two sleepless nights, and I'm not a spring chicken any more. It really would be bad news. At least it'd be toward the end of the trip. Heaven help me if it happened early in the trip! Btw, would they still give me meals at no extra charge in the dining car? I'd be foodless, too. I'd just book a night in CHI to be safe, but I can't b/c that would require another AGR award.

The connection in Portland is tight, but since you said there is a good bus backup plan for it, it's not nearly as worrisome. Thanks!

Another question: If horror of horrors, it did happen earlier in the trip, would they let me cancel the rest, refund some AGR points for the unused travel, and let me figure out a better way to get home? (What that would be, I have no idea. Last minute airfare wouldn't be pretty.) Or would I be just totally stuck in coach for a week?? *suffers frostbite to feet*

Thanks, traveler!

More if's (assuming sleepers are sold out on the next trains):

If a connection were missed early in a long sleeper trip, does Amtrak ever do anything other than

a) try to catch up to the same train via bus, or

b) put you up in a hotel and put you on the next day's train?

Are there ever any other remedies?

Do they ever bus you all the way to your next connection so you don't miss it, too?

Do they ever put you on a different train (if one exists), whether the destination is the same or not, and reroute you?

If in coach, would they still provide your meals at n/c in the dining car?

Would they refund the points difference between sleeper and coach, at least prorated for the applicable segment? Surely they wouldn't keep ALL of your points!

If a sleeper were only available for a short stretch at some time on the next day's train, would they let you occupy it for that stretch? (You could at least get a shower.)

I understand that things happen that are beyond their control, but 9 "surprise" days in coach with no hotel breaks makes me shudder!

Thanks~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ryan. I guess I could also do a night in PDX to be on the safe side there (between AGR awards), but I don't want to make the trip even looonger than it already would be. And it's the connection at the end of the EB that's so worrisome.

I was also wondering if I could perhaps do one 3-zone (if they'd let me wander around to WPT on it), and then one 2-zone from WPT on back home. But I guess that's a question for the AGR forum.

Have a great weekend--

Tom-- I'll check my email, thanks. I'm putting the PT in the mail today.

If I were using $$, I'd definitely do an overnight for the scary connection, but I have to work within AGR rules. Using AGR awards, an overnight (that isn't the next available train) triggers a separate additional award, and I'm already short on points. I'll have to do two awards, but I'll probably be required to start the second one in Portland, or Wolf Point if I'm lucky. Portland (CS to EB) is a very tight connection, but Ryan says they have a good backup plan for it--a bus bridge to catch up to the EB. So I'm trying not to worry about that one, but should I? I could spend a night there between the two awards, but I don't really want to. My trip is a little longer than I'd prefer as it is.

This is a real dilemma for me. A missed connection may not happen (although the record indicates it frequently does :( ), but if it happens, it's a very big deal. Another poster has already decided to alter his planned trip for the same reason.

My tentative revised itinerary has SIX connections and takes ten days. What are the odds I'll make all six? I'm trying not to get cold feet, but they are definitely chilly right now. I'm going to have to think about this trip some more.

I've considered flying to DEN as originally planned, but then taking the new itinerary. However, that does nothing to change the most iffy connections; it just eliminates two of the early connections (at least the whole trip wouldn't be blown by an early missed connection), reduces by one the number of AGR zones needed, and cuts two days (net) off the trip length. But it adds a flight and a hotel night in DEN. Maybe not too bad a trade-off, but certainly more expensive.

I could keep the trip as planned except fly home from CHI, but that adds a hotel night in CHI and a flight, and still leaves me with two connections to make before boarding the CZ. Eliminates that EB/CL connection and one zone, and saves one day net in trip length, but in total it's not as much bang for the buck, imo. And I'd really like to avoid any flights. So then I start thinking about the CONO from CHI, which isn't a favorite choice here and is also a same-day (4-hr) connection in CHI. It also saves one zone, trip length stays the same, and adds a hotel in NOL (which I don't mind too much--I love NOL.) On the positive side, if I missed the CONO connection, it would just cause one overnight in coach, not too big a deal in the grand scheme, but I'd have to change the NOL hotel reservation on short notice. *big sigh*

I sure do wish there was a CHI-ATL train!

Am I overlooking something obvious? Any additional thoughts or suggestions, anyone? Thanks--

Crescent2, As you know I have made a couple long trips this year. Each one with at least six connections. Either I have been very lucky or I have never had any trouble with them. Even the late CS coming down from Portland to LAX with the short connection to the TE was not a problem. If I were you, I would just relax and enjoy yourself. If you think there is a chance of a missed connection, look for alternatives.

Thanks, June! That does make me feel some better. It's just an ambitious trip for me. I'm usually an optimist, but that one connection is just especially scary. If sleepers didn't sell out so often, it would be much easier for me.

OT, but another reason, and probably the most important one, that I'd like my own bathroom is that I stress out big time if I think I'm making someone wait or be inconvenienced by me in any way. By the time I use the bathroom, brush my teeth and hair, put my contacts in, and put my makeup on, I'd be a nervous wreck and there'd probably be three people angrily lined up waiting for the bathroom. I don't know how I could have forgotten to mention that initially. Well, I do, because that's so much of who I am, I don't even give it a thought. Always been that way (fear of imposing on others).

I know you must think I'm totally OCD, with all the successful coach trips you've made! My hat is off to you for sure. I'm nutty, I know. Thanks so much for your encouragement!

There are multiple bathrooms in superliners so it's unlikely there'll be someone waiting for the bathroom. At least not without another one becoming available.

I was typing a response to your most recent thread that got locked.

What I said was that it was much more likely that the NB CS would be an hour or two late into than the WB CZ being 9+ hours late. Expect to get out of SAC by 12:30AM.

There is a little padding in the schedule at K-Falls so you may leave KFS on time.

If the CS is very late at K-Falls, they have been known to bus connecting passengers up US 97 with lunch at Madras or Biggs. They get passengers to the Pasco station well before the eastbound EB arrives.

Thank you, Tom. Someone has sent me a PM, too.

Ryan had also made me feel better about the Portland connection, with the bus bridge. Thanks for your additional info about it. I also feel OK about the EMY or SAC connection. I now think it would be a freak occurrence if that one were missed.

The connection from the eb EB in CHI is worrisome, and if I missed one of the connections early in the trip (WAS or CHI for the wb CZ), that would really knock a hole in it. I was wondering if they have good backup plans (bus bridges?) in place for those. ???

As I've already posted on the AGR forum, I will again apologize here to those on whose last nerve I've gotten. I do try to be pleasant, polite, and stay Amtrak-related. Please feel free to just skip my posts if you've had enough of my questions.

Thanks so very much to all who have provided and are providing info, I greatly appreciate it. AU is a wonderful resource.

^ I enjoy your questions, and I'm sure others do too (especially those who have not ridden Amtrak before!). :)
I do too.

All of your concerns are more than legitimate - delays are pretty common no matter what any one individual's personal experience may be.

My home train is a 3 hour ride to CHI and I've been delayed quite a bit including these 2 times:

On one occasion, the first time I got the husband on the train no less, instead of arriving at 10:30am, we arrived after 2:00pm.

They made an announcement telling those that were connecting to the TE, that the train had left.

One time I was thankful that I wasn't taking the TE.

I have no idea what they did for those passengers but what an inconvenience.

Just recently, in April, I was beginning my biggest, solo trip yet...my first trip on the EB.

I had fun taking the forum with me on my anxiety ridden journey to CHI Hey guys! Need some advice fast!

I knew that I'd be 'taken care of' by Amtrak but it looked like a lousy beginning to an exciting trip.

Instead of arriving at 10:30am, we pulled into the station when the EB should have been leaving - 2:15pm - and they held the train!

There was an employee holding a sign and we followed him to the train.

I've experienced a few LD delays too.

My one CZ trip in the spring of last year was horribly delayed 7 hours late and a van ride home - ugh.

A few TE trips hours late into DAL but I was staying there, so no problem.

SWC late.

Best OTP , for me, has been the CONO - early on both ends,

The EB was perfect too but that was probably luck.

The biggest thing to me would be losing my sleeper, having to ride coach the next day, changing hotel dates, etc.

I'm planning my first AGR redemption trip in Sept. - 6 nights on a train with my husband :eek: - and I don't think he'll do well if things go wrong but we'll see.

So, imo, there's a lot of anxiety involved when planning and taking long trips with Amtrak and you're totally justified in *over-thinking* it.

In the end, though, if you go you just have to be prepared for the worst, have a good plan B, and you won't be disappointed - that's what I do. :)

Chrsjrcj and Joanie: Thanks so much, I appreciate your supportive words!

Joanie: Thanks for sharing your experiences as well. At 10 days length without any added insurance overnights, I'm leaning toward trying to shorten the trip somehow, and probably flying to DEN to catch the CZ. I would want to include both the CZ and EB (thanks to suggestions here), so that will still involve the two iffiest connections, and not cut many days off the trip length. IDK at this point!

All thoughts and suggestions have been and are helpful, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back