Problem with Amtrak Discounts (More specifically NARP Discount)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Hello,

I have been a NARP member since 2012 and I have been taking Amtrak from NFS to WIL to visit family and friends in the area. Now I know that the NARP discount is not valid on Canadian portions of the Maple Leaf trains (64/63) as it specifically states on their page here,
(http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/SatelliteSnippetName=IBLegacy&pagename=am/AM_Snippet_C/SnippetWrapper&ibsref=preffare):

"Not valid on the Canadian portion of services operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada."

I have no problem with that rule and have never had any problems receiving the discount via Amtrak's website before. It only has been since November of 2014 that I've tried to book travel on Amtrak's website using my NARP membership discount, I always get a "Fare Alert" and the discount is not applied.

I've called Amtrak about this the first time it happened and was told "If traveling from/to Canada, the discount does not apply"....Did they somehow change their rules without telling anyone and without updating their website??? It still shows ""Not valid on the Canadian portion of services operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada.", which is a lot different than what the Amtrak rep told me on the phone a few months ago.

I know it's only 10%, but I want to be able to save as much as I can when traveling (don't we all?). If Amtrak does not want Canadian residents who travel to a US destination to use their NARP membership for a discount, then why are NARP memberships still available to Canadians with no mention about them not being able to use that discount??

Has anyone here ever had a problem with NARP discounts?

FWIW, when booking travel, Ive always booked at least 4 months in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
The Value Rail Fare to NYP from both NFS and NFL on a test booking is shown as $109, exactly the same! ( the low bucket from NFL is $63 when available)

Since the Maple Leaf becomes an Amtrak train @ the Niagara Falls, ON stop ( crew change and cafe supplies changed out) there is no sensible reason the NARP discount shouldn't apply!

Have you called Amtrak Customer Relations about this? You may also wish to contact NARP and get their assistance also!

Also, the Biz Class/ Cafe Car on this train has the nice 2x1 Metroliner Seating and is definetly worth the upgrade for the trip to NYP! Check it out!

The Value Rail Fare to NYP from both NFS and NFL on a test booking is shown as $109, exactly the same!
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but NFL->NYP shows a Value (D in this case) fare of $63 far out. Tack the border crossing on there, and I get an $88 without any choice of Coach fare type. But the CBN "transfer" isn't shown. I suspect this is some type of Arrow issue.

Try booking using the "multi-city" option. Book the first leg as Niagara Falls ON to Niagara Falls NY (NFL) on #64, then the second leg as NFL to Wilmington DE (WIL) using #64 to New York connecting to Regional #67 onward to WIL. After you select the trains, the trip prices as "adult" with an option to "add discount." If you are logged in and NARP is in your profile, it will pre-select the NARP fare. If priced as "adult," select NARP as your discount, and it works. The fare is the same as if you simply booked NFL-WIL with NARP.

I have no problem with that rule and have never had any problems receiving the discount via Amtrak's website before. It only has been since November of 2014 that I've tried to book travel on Amtrak's website using my NARP membership discount, I always get a "Fare Alert" and the discount is not applied.
I'm looking at their instructions for using the NARP discount. http://www.narprail.org/obtaining-discounts.html

There are specific instructions for making a reservation over the phone. Such as you have to talk to a real live agent, and can't use Julie.

There are specific instructions for making a reservation in person.

I don't see any instructions for making a reservation on the website. I would venture a guess, that by omission, you can't (or you can't since 11/2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back