Problem Reserving For a Bike

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skim

Train Attendant
I'm planning a trip for a bike event in a few days; this would be my first time boarding with a bike. The website allowed me to reserve the bike from ALN-SPI with no problems, and it shows space for bikes on all four N/B Lincoln Service trains that day. However the return trip (same day) shows no space whatsoever on any of the four S/B options; there is no button to click "Add Bike to Trip" below the BC option. I have ridden that train dozens of times and have rarely seen a bike.

The phone agent was unhelpful, stating her support team had confirmed the S/B was sold out. She wouldn't transfer me to a manager.

I have a difficult time believing there is a sudden flurry of bikes headed to St. Louis. What do I do?

I tried several days and it worked. What day are you trying ?

Call again.

But it is possible that all the bike spaces are taken that day. I'm not familiar with that train's setup, but I know some trains may have racks for like 5-10 bikes per train. Once those are gone, it's sold out. Maybe there's some outing that day, or just many people want to ride bikes during the warm weather.

A few years ago, it was sometimes hard to get a seat or room for a PERSON on some Amtrak trains. Now on those same trains, it is sometimes harder to find space for a PERSON on that same train!

The date is 5/31.

Lincoln Service trains are sometimes crowded, but seats are almost always available. Right now they're at the lowest bucket fares, and I can't find mention of any cycling events in STL that weekend.

I don't know what the weather forecast is for STL at that time, but in RI this weekend it was in the low 50's. This coming weekend, it will be in the 80's. There are no bike events in the area this coming weekend either, but I would still rather bike in the 80's than in the 50's!

It's possible that they are substituting different equipment that day without bike racks.

I tried for 5/31 round trip and it worked for me with bike

It just worked. Must have been a temporary glitch. Thanks, all, for the input.

It just worked. Must have been a temporary glitch. Thanks, all, for the input.
I'm glad it worked out. Nothing worse than being wheeless, even in 50 degree weather. :giggle:

But it is possible that all the bike spaces are taken that day. I'm not familiar with that train's setup, but I know some trains may have racks for like 5-10 bikes per train. Once those are gone, it's sold out
Illinois and Missouri trains don't have bike racks. They just put in the empty space at the ends of the car. But the number of bike tickets are limited.

It's possible that they are substituting different equipment that day without bike racks
Again, a Midwesterner wouldn't know a (Amtrak, that is) bike rack from a coupler. But in the winter if they substitute superliners, they take down the "Add bike to trip" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back