Private Train Car from New York to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the forum so I hope this post is ok. I read the Acela review yesterday thanks to the forum and saw a few other train articles in the magazine it came from. This one stuck out as really cool and interesting to me. Reserving an entire car for a group going to the Washington Auto Show. Now I'm jealous and want to get invited on such a trip.

The Nissan Express Private Train to Washington

It was an intriguing invitation: “Join Us on the Nissan Express.” Automaker Nissan, along with the International Motor Press Association and the Washington Automotive Press Association, had banded together to not only invite New York-area journalists to the Washington Auto Show but to take them there in a private train car. Such an offer elicited an immediate and affirmative response.

While I’ve taken Amtrak’s Acela Express between New York and Philadelphia, I had never taken a longer train trip. Indeed, the longest scheduled train ride I’ve taken was from Brussels to Paris on the TGV (one hour, 15 minutes), just two minutes longer than the Acela Express from New York to Philadelphia.

Nissan was taking us on a three-hour, 20-minute ride on an Amtrak Northeast Regional train. A “higher-speed” train, the regional isn’t capable of running at the Acela’s high speeds, hence the slightly lengthier trip to the District....

Interesting trip report.....the writer seemed to be very impressed with the joys of a chartered Amtrak coach. I could just imagine if that writer would have been on a railroad business car like the 10,000 instead for that trip.... :)

Back