Private cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jheilman43402

Train Attendant
We are on the CZ and in salt lake city they attached a private dome car. How does that work is it 1 owner or a group. Do they pay Amtrak to pull the car? I was just wondering. When they added it the train was delayed while the connected it I will update you on which car it is after the next stop at grand junction

We are on the CZ and in salt lake city they attached a private dome car. How does that work is it 1 owner or a group. Do they pay Amtrak to pull the car? I was just wondering. When they added it the train was delayed while the connected it I will update you on which car it is after the next stop at grand junction
Yes, they pay Amtrak and it is quite pricey. With most private cars, they are on charter trips where someone put together some kind of excursion package, either the car owner or someone else that contracted the car. Of course the car owner can go on their own little excursion, but the costs are excessive. Most car owners are not multi-millionaires, having the car is usually at least partly a labor of love. They need to charter it to make ends meet (or almost meet) and can't normally afford use them a private toys. At least not very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys I will let you know what car it is. After grand junction we had to do an emergency stop after a close call at a crossing. By e way we are in a sleeper and I see the name colorado on the doors and in various places in the car. Is this the name of our car? It is an older one but has been rebuilt. the fixtures seem older than the other 2 cars.

Thank you guys I will let you know what car it is. After grand junction we had to do an emergency stop after a close call at a crossing. By e way we are in a sleeper and I see the name colorado on the doors and in various places in the car. Is this the name of our car? It is an older one but has been rebuilt. the fixtures seem older than the other 2 cars.
Yup, that is its name. the fact that it is a state means it is a Superliner II that was built in the 90's. They have not been updated as recently as the older Superliner I's.

[edited to change 80's to 90's)

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the old bubble top domes!
sad.gif

Private cars are like boats or classic automobiles often being described as bottomless pits that consume copious amounts of cash. While a "dog" can be had for as little as $10,000, by the time you get it restored and maintained to Amtrak standards, you can easily add a zero and then some to that figure; and that is even before you begin to pay to get it on the road. But for those with the resources and patience, the rewards are well worth the effort and expense.

Yes that is the one but they have "The Chessie" on the side of it now and moonlight some below that
PV "Moonlight Dome" is one of three sleeper-dome-lounge ordered cars from the Budd Co. by Chesapeake & Ohio RR, for their planned luxury train "The Chessie."

The Chessie train never went into full opertaion, and the few "Chessie " cars not retained by the C&O were sold to other railroads.

Moonlight Dome and her sister cars ended up first with C&O affiliate Baltimore & Ohio, then were leased to Atlantic Coast Line (and successor Seaboard Cost Line) for use in Florida service.

These particular cars have a dome glass arrangement different from other Budd domes in that the height of the dome glass is reduced to allow for tighter Eastern U.S. clearances.

Yes that is the one but they have "The Chessie" on the side of it now and moonlight some below that
PV "Moonlight Dome" is one of three sleeper-dome-lounge ordered cars from the Budd Co. by Chesapeake & Ohio RR, for their planned luxury train "The Chessie."

The Chessie train never went into full opertaion, and the few "Chessie " cars not retained by the C&O were sold to other railroads.

Moonlight Dome and her sister cars ended up first with C&O affiliate Baltimore & Ohio, then were leased to Atlantic Coast Line (and successor Seaboard Cost Line) for use in Florida service.

These particular cars have a dome glass arrangement different from other Budd domes in that the height of the dome glass is reduced to allow for tighter Eastern U.S. clearances.
I took this picture about 1955 when it was on a B&O train coming into Chicago. Not the best picture, but gives you the idea.

i-wgnSwhk.jpg

I miss the old bubble top domes!
sad.gif
As do I...just loved the dome cars on the NP North Coast Limited...
As do I. I have very fond memories of the NCL (Four Domes West!) and driving the conductors NUTS as I ran through the dome (as a 5 year old) calling out "TICKETS! TICKETS PLEASE!"

As much as I enjoy a trip on a Superliner today, you still cant beat the view out of a real dome. I am looking forward to this winter when I take the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto and sit in the dome at night, in the snow, and watch the signals change as the locomotives roll past. Now I know it wont be a beautiful as seeing a semephore drop, as I did on the NCL, but its the closest I'm going to get in 2012.

David

Seattle

I took this picture about 1955 when it was on a B&O train coming into Chicago. Not the best picture, but gives you the idea.

i-wgnSwhk.jpg
That B&O dome car in this photo, while also a "low-profile" car to fit Eastern clearances, is clearly not the same car--its angular lines tell it's a Pullman-Standard built car....

i-wgnSwhk.jpg
That B&O dome car in this photo, while also a "low-profile" car to fit Eastern clearances, is clearly not the same car--its angular lines tell it's a Pullman-Standard built car....
The B&O Pullman Standard Dome in the lower picture appears to be High Dome, one of the two Dome Coaches Built for the all coach Columbian from Washington to Chicago which were built in 1949. The Budd Company Dome on the California Zephyr was Moonlight Dome which was build as a Cabin Dome Sleeper for the Chessie Streamliner. The cars were ordered by C&O in 1945 and were delivered in 1948. The Chessie was to be a fast daylight train from Washington to Cincinnati via the same route now used by Amtrak's Cardinal. C&O realized that there wasn't a market for such a train so the cars were sold to other railroads. Moonlight Dome and two sisters were sold to the B&O and operated on Chicago to Washington trains. Later they were used on SCL trains to Florida. Amtrak ran the cars for a few years, but I don't think HEP was ever installed. The only other Dome Sleepers were built by the Northern Pacific and Burlington for the North Coast Limited.

We are on the CZ and in salt lake city they attached a private dome car.
I know it's a little late for this, but I'll leave this video here in case you never saw your train from the outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4BJd7wioI
Thanks for sharing this video. The private car notwithstanding, I enjoyed it more for the speed at which the train belted past your camera! A lot of videos of western LD trains shot from outside show the train ambling alone at a comfortable pace, such full track-speed blast is rare to find :)

i-wgnSwhk.jpg
The B&O Pullman Standard Dome in the lower picture appears to be High Dome, one of the two Dome Coaches Built for the all coach Columbian from Washington to Chicago which were built in 1949. The Budd Company Dome on the California Zephyr was Moonlight Dome which was build as a Cabin Dome Sleeper for the Chessie Streamliner. The cars were ordered by C&O in 1945 and were delivered in 1948. The Chessie was to be a fast daylight train from Washington to Cincinnati via the same route now used by Amtrak's Cardinal. C&O realized that there wasn't a market for such a train so the cars were sold to other railroads. Moonlight Dome and two sisters were sold to the B&O and operated on Chicago to Washington trains. Later they were used on SCL trains to Florida. Amtrak ran the cars for a few years, but I don't think HEP was ever installed. The only other Dome Sleepers were built by the Northern Pacific and Burlington for the North Coast Limited.
There was one other dome-sleeper....built by Pullman-Standard was the "Dream Cloud", an 8 Duplex Roomette, 3 Compartment, 2 Drawing Room one-of-a-kind dome car built for General Motors "Train Of Tomorrow", later sold to the Union Pacific.... :)

Thanks for sharing this video. The private car notwithstanding, I enjoyed it more for the speed at which the train belted past your camera! A lot of videos of western LD trains shot from outside show the train ambling alone at a comfortable pace, such full track-speed blast is rare to find :)
You're welcome and thank you. If you like Amtrak at speed, there's a lot more where that came from. I'm hoping they will go even faster when PTC is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back