Pretty terrible record lately for northbound Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crescent 20 last 4 weeks

Average delay at Birmingham - 45 minutes

Average delay at Atlanta - 60 minutes

Average delay at Greenville - 70 minutes

We're headed north out of Greenville and train seems to want to get there about midnight. Ugh! I don't remember performance being that bad in the past. I called the local GRV agent and he said he didn't know. It will be OK for us since we don't go to bed until then anyway. Worse, southbound has an excellent on-time record (average delay 17 minutes). That sucks. Would be a lot better for us if it was 3-4 hours late as arriving at 5AM is no fun.

Edit: Anyone know where the problem is?

Amtrak's site only shows end to end long term performance and that shows 50% on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, obviously, it's losing most of the time before Birmingham. I dug into this. It seems to be fairly close to on time into Meridian, and very late into Tuscaloosa. That's... extremely specific.

I don't know why, but it's obvious that the problem is in this exact segment of the route.

Seems like a good while since #19 and #20 weren't held up by whatever-it-is between TCL and MEI. Surely someone on here knows what's slowing our trains along that section of the line? It's to the point that when we go ATL-LAX next week, we're just driving over to Jackson MS, park at the station lot, and take the CONO and SWC from there. Not only are we NOT at the mercy of Norfolk-Southern, but we're not out 2 cab fares and an expensive night in New Orleans. The lot is just across the street from the main door at JAN, and I hear you can arrange to get the monthly rate for a longer stay. I'll post later if this turns out to be a good idea. MMmmm, I can smell my slice of deep-dish pizza from Beggar's in CHI right now. Bring on the garlic! :lol:

Both trains get in each other's way at Tuscaloosa its completely impossible for both to be on time because of the track layout in the area. A shift of the schedules by 30 minutes to an hour where they could meet on the double track around Birmingham is the only option. From McCalla to Irondale its double track if done just right both trains could pass at full speed around Bessemer.

There are constraints. No one wants 20 to leave NOL earlier than it already does, and running 19 any earlier would increase conflicts with VRE out of DC Union Station. Also, the schedules have to allow time to clean and restock a late 19 at NOL in time for the next day's 20.

Thanks, folks. I knew there had to be either track work or congestion for the problem to be this consistent. Somehow it just seems more noticeable since the spring, but that may just be imagination. However it's happening, it makes driving from Atlanta to Jackson look better and better. Hope it works out as well as it promises to. I'll report later.

Norfolk Southern is using the Auto-Router and it hasn't been the most efficient way to dispatch trains.

As for driving Atlanta-Jackson, bear in mind that a bypass of I-85 around Montgomery is under construction (the existing I-85 into downtown Montgomery will be renumbered I-685) and that a route to extend I-85 past Selma and Demopolis to near Meridian has been approved by AASHTO and FHWA. But don't look for it until 10 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back