Presidential Visits- Effect Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, President Obama visited Western Michigan University to give the commencement speech for Kalamazoo Central High School's graduation. The commencement was held at the University Arena, which sits right next the railroad tracks. Based on the schedules, it appears Amtrak has three trains that run by the arena between (approx) 4:00-9:00 pm. My question is: Were these trains stopped/cancelled, or were other special safety measures done (police/FBI/Homeland Security officials on board the trains) as a result of the trains' proximity to the president?

Also, what is the general protocol for a circumstance such as this?

Today, President Obama visited Western Michigan University to give the commencement speech for Kalamazoo Central High School's graduation. The commencement was held at the University Arena, which sits right next the railroad tracks. Based on the schedules, it appears Amtrak has three trains that run by the arena between (approx) 4:00-9:00 pm. My question is: Were these trains stopped/cancelled, or were other special safety measures done (police/FBI/Homeland Security officials on board the trains) as a result of the trains' proximity to the president?
I recall once being stopped on the Sunset Limited as it was pulling into Winter Park, Florida (in the good old days) waiting about 30 minutes for a Presidential motorcade to pass. I would suspect the same might occur in Kalamazoo when they are moving the President but not while he is giving the speech, particularly if the train does not stop near that area.

I recall once being stopped on the Sunset Limited as it was pulling into Winter Park, Florida (in the good old days) waiting about 30 minutes for a Presidential motorcade to pass. I would suspect the same might occur in Kalamazoo when they are moving the President but not while he is giving the speech, particularly if the train does not stop near that area.
From experience (in the previous administration) security is quite tight during a presidential visit. President Bush (G.W.B. not G.H.B.) spoke at Kansas City's convention center during rush hour once. Unfortunately, KC's convention center is built OVER an interstate highway. As a result, all of the streets within several blocks of the convention center, as well as Interstate 670, were shut down for several hours. It created a traffic NIGHTMARE! Based on this, I would think that if the rail lines came anywhere close to the tracks, rail traffic would be stopped as well... or at the very least, it would be VERY tightly controlled and inspected.

I'm guessing "No" they won't stop Amtrak just 'cause Obama is speaking at the arena. I just hope the Amtrak engineers on duty realized Obama is there, and gave an EXTRA long blast of the horns!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Amtrak.......but George W Bush came close to delaying VIA’s westbound “Ocean” on December 1, 2004. He was arriving in Halifax to speak at the Pier 21 National Historic Site (Canada’s Ellis Island) just as the Ocean was ready to depart from the adjacent VIA Station……but the all-clear was given and the train departed on time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/photogalleries/bush_canada/

I'm guessing "No" they won't stop Amtrak just 'cause Obama is speaking at the arena. I just hope the Amtrak engineers on duty realized Obama is there, and gave an EXTRA long blast of the horns!
I believe that the Secret Service would shut down any rail that would be within bomb range. I've seen them do it in any number of what we would consider unlikely places. They want a "sterile" environment when ever possible.

I believe that the Secret Service would shut down any rail that would be within bomb range. I've seen them do it in any number of what we would consider unlikely places. They want a "sterile" environment when ever possible.
Aloha

Being in Theater as a Tech, I have had to work with Secret Service on a few occasions where the President was present, worst time was Bush on the beach by the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The security rules were different each time. And in my opinion the planners in the SS are paranoid schizophrenic individuals. Heck one time they required me to not cary a wrench in my back pocket but a knife on my belt was ok.

Another time I ran past, then Vice President Nixon, with a black tube 8"x3". It was a projection lens that had it mount become loose in transit. The work bench behind the stage had the necessary tools to fix it. After fixing it, I again ran past him again about 30 feet from the lectern, to the projectors. After mounting the lens I collapsed with the shakes, realizing what It must have looked like a bomb as I ran by. What I didn't know was the SS knew, and had cleared my path and even opened the door to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back