President Boardman on the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a transdorm between the sleepers and his cars, so I'll be he had a few meals in the diner and walked through the train at least a few times.
Every time I've seen Beech Grove and other Amtrak Cars on an LD Route they were on the Back of the Train which makes sense since Beech Grove has a Platform on the Back! This means that Folks riding on those Cars have to get off @ Stops and walk on the Platform to Board the Amtrak Cars. I have not seen Mr. Boardman on a Train myself but have met other Amtrak Execs in the Diner, Lounge and Sleeping Cars and had some Interesting Conversations with them! Everyone I know @ Amtrak feels that Mr. Boardman stays on top of things, he is a Real Railroad/Transportation Executive who is Politically Astute, Not just an Empty Suit like Lots of People in WAS! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a transdorm between the sleepers and his cars, so I'll be he had a few meals in the diner and walked through the train at least a few times.
Every time I've seen Beech Grove and other Amtrak Cars on an LD Route they were on the Back of the Train which makes sense since Beech Grove has a Platform on the Back! This means that Folks riding on those Cars have to get off @ Stops and walk on the Platform to Board the Amtrak Cars. I have not seen Mr. Boardman on a Train myself but have met other Amtrak Execs in the Diner, Lounge and Sleeping Cars and had some Interesting Conversations with them! Everyone I know @ Amtrak feels that Mr. Boardman stays on top of things, he is a Real Railroad/Transportation Executive who is Politically Astute, Not just an Empty Suit like Lots of People in WAS! ;)
I have read places that they sometimes reverse the consist to the transition sleeper is on the rear in front of the company cars. I guess that would mess up access to the baggage car, but hey, he is the president.

Here is a pic with the tran-sleeper in front of the Beech Grove. Looks to me like the whole consist is flipped with the sleepers on the rear.

9833.1241702625.jpg

Mr. Boardman would be far better off relying on clandestine spies placed onboard to learn about real, ordinary conditions on the trains.
Alan,

Like Eve Kendall in North By Northwest? Bob Sweet in Silver Streak?

cynic, on 14 May 2013 - 00:28, said:

why can't he ride in a Superliner sleeper like the rest of us? He might learn some things...
Historically railroads have been the industry of the Business Car perk. Class I roads provided Business Cars for "officials" from Division Superintendent on up the chain to Prez.

Until late in the 20th century, the clerical accompaniment always was a male, usually job titled Stenographer. Biz Car is one of USA's original business "perks," brought about by necessity of inspecting the territory in an efficient process. These "Brownie Boxes" were pulled by Pax and Freight trains. They have had comms and office facilities, and space for meetings, eating and sleeping.

Stories abound about on long trains of the front end crew "hand signing" station and MOW employees along the way, alerting them to the fact that a biz car with an official was in tow.

Today, it's ironic for all those officials named Fred,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back