PPC Menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone have a current menu for the PPC? The only one I can find on line is from 2008. As many times as I have take 11/14 I have never taken a meal in the PPC, but was thinking I might give it a try this upcoming trip.

Menu is different on #11 for First Day versus Second Day. From my ride on 11(3): Entrees for First Day lunch are vegetarian harvest salad or turkey and pepper jack cheese on a ciabatta roll with kettle chips. First Day dinner entrees are turkey shank braised in ale with pearl onions and bacon with four grain rice and vegetable medley, OR braised beef short-rib with molasses bbq sauce with four grain rice pilaf and vegetable medley.

Second day breakfast is continental (fresh fruit, yogurt, croissant and warm blueberry scone) OR scrambled egg, smoked bacon and american cheese on an english muffin

Second day lunch is lemon pepper tuna salad on marble rye with kettle chips OR baked vegetarian penne pasta with cheddar cheese sauce, salad and roll.

Second day dinner is herb roast chicken breast with red wine beer sauce with rice pilaf and vegetable medley OR the braised beef short-rib from Day One dinner. Desserts with all lunches and dinners, but choices not printed on menu.

Copies of the printed menu can be found at several locations around the PPC, and the diner attendant who walks thru the sleepers to take reservations can also tell you the day's menu items for both the PPC and the full diner.

"Menu is different on #11 for First Day versus Second Day. From my ride on 11(3): Entrees for First Day lunch are vegetarian harvest salad or turkey and pepper jack cheese on a ciabatta roll with kettle chips. First Day dinner entrees are turkey shank braised in ale with pearl onions and bacon with four grain rice and vegetable medley, OR braised beef short-rib with molasses bbq sauce with four grain rice pilaf and vegetable medley.
Second day breakfast is continental (fresh fruit, yogurt, croissant and warm blueberry scone) OR scrambled egg, smoked bacon and american cheese on an english muffin

Second day lunch is lemon pepper tuna salad on marble rye with kettle chips OR baked vegetarian penne pasta with cheddar cheese sauce, salad and roll.

Second day dinner is herb roast chicken breast with red wine beer sauce with rice pilaf and vegetable medley OR the braised beef short-rib from Day One dinner. Desserts with all lunches and dinners, but choices not printed on menu.

Copies of the printed menu can be found at several locations around the PPC, and the diner attendant who walks thru the sleepers to take reservations can also tell you the day's menu items for both the PPC and the full diner."

Thank you. I am, however, on 14. Any idea of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak posts all the current menu's for the dining car on each train (and the PPC on the CS) on the web on the route information page. You can find the Coast Starlight's route page here: http://www.amtrak.co...starlight-train

I rode on #14(5) and can vouch that the current menu posted online is correct.

First Day Lunch

California Vegetarian Greek Salad with Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Peppers & Olives

Salami, Mortadella and Provolone Cheese on Onion & Olive Focaccia Bread

First Day Dinner

Herb Roast Chicken Breast with Red Wine Beer Sauce

Braised Beef Short-rib with Ancho Molasses BBQ Sauce

Second Day Breakfast

The Parlour Car Continental

Ham, Egg, Spinach and Cheddar Cheese on an English Muffin

Second Day Lunch

Chicken Cranberry Apple Salad on a Sweet French Roll with Green leaf Lettuce

Baked Vegetarian Penne Pasta with Flagship Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Second Day Dinner

Turkey ‘Shank’ Braised in Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial Ale with Pearl Onions and Bacon

Braised Beef Short-rib in Ancho Molasses BBQ Sauce.

I had the italian sandwich from the first day lunch options and I tried each of the options for the first day dinner and the second day lunch. Every meal I tried was delicious... but my personal favorite was the Braised Beef Short-rib. It looked and tasted like something out of a nice restaurant.

Amtrak cannot get enough of that rotten vegetable medley!!!
AGREED! Across the board, the veggies on Amtrak have got to be consistantly the worst part of the meal. I think they look at the veggies as a garnish, they just have to add color to the plate, who cares what it tastes like.

Besides, nobody eats vegetables anyway. :p

Amtrak cannot get enough of that rotten vegetable medley!!!
AGREED! Across the board, the veggies on Amtrak have got to be consistantly the worst part of the meal. I think they look at the veggies as a garnish, they just have to add color to the plate, who cares what it tastes like.

Besides, nobody eats vegetables anyway. :p
Unfortunately, on my last trip on the Silver Meteor, northbound and southbound, all the dinner entrees contained garlic (to which I am allergic), and my dinner consisted of salad and veggies. Even the baked potato (northbound) was brushed with garlic. If I had not eaten my veggies, I would not have had "dinner." :(

Can you only order form the PPC menu when in the PPC, or can you order form the regular dining car menu as well?

Can you only order form the PPC menu when in the PPC, or can you order form the regular dining car menu as well?
Its PPC food in the PPC and diner food in the diner.
So that begs the question... If your SCA can get you a "To-Go" meal from the diner... why cant it be served to you in the PPC?
Great question! I guess you could have your Attendant bring your meal to your room and then you can haul it back to the PPC and enjoy it at one of the middle couch tables.

While the PPC offerings tend to be a bit more "elaborate" than the Diner offerings the portions are smaller; so if you want to eat a gut-buster head to the Diner.

Last Summer the Day 1 Lunch Sandwich actually came out of a cellophane wrapper but our PPC Attendant went to work on it and made it look and taste custom built. He also took time to trim up desserts with Whipped Cream, Sliced Fruit and Chocolate if you wanted. Plus he brought his own barware set and made a wicked deadly Bloody Mary. He trained as a chef before joining Amtrak.

Its PPC food in the PPC and diner food in the diner.
So that begs the question... If your SCA can get you a "To-Go" meal from the diner... why cant it be served to you in the PPC?
Policy. Meals in the PPC are done (buffet style for the main meal) by the LSA in the PPC. Meals served in the room are obtained by the SCA.

EDIT: I enjoyed the chance to eat something different than the regular AmMenu, which the PPC surely provides.

That breakfast item sounds suspiciously like the AmMac equivalent to a Big Mac. Ugh~

PPC has no vegetarian options whatsoever for both day's dinners? I guess I'll have to stick to the regular Dining Car on my upcoming trip :(

BTW, if I board #14 at SJC (8.37pm if on time), do I get dinner or is it too late? If it comes in late and the Dining Car and PPC have both wrapped up, can I at least ask for a dessert?

Generally they don't do "just" dessert... they may be nice and let you but usually they only offer out the full meals for inventory and accounting purposes. You can try if the train makes it somewhat on time (like it magically did today somehow??) but usually it will be at least an hour late by SJC. I know the last time when I rode they didn't even have a last call and didn't get through their waiting list. But if the train is on time and they have space I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it in for last call! Same thing when I board the CZ in Reno WB... if it's on time we can usually get in before the end of breakfast. The SCA encouraged it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back