PPC in Chicago (4/25/16)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riding into CUS last night on the BNSF Metra, we passed the Amtrak shops, and I saw a Pacific Parlor Car. I didn't have a chance to pull out my phone and snap a picture, and I didn't think to catch the name.

What's it doing here?
Time for the referenced Santa Lucia Highlands to head home.

I like the PPC, I've had one every time I've been on the Starlight. But I haven't been on the Starlight in at least six years so... Having said that it's certainly not a deal killer to me. The SSL's actually have much better viewing. The big thing about the PPC's is they're only available to sleeping car passengers and the meals are a little different (not much either). But they're obviously on their last legs, can't see Amtrak running them much longer.

I just went through Chicago yard this morning and did see a PPC as well as amtrak dome

Last edited by a moderator:
The aforementioned Columbia Valley arrived in Chicago yesterday on the end of the Southwest Chief. Video is by MetraBNSF117.

Columbia Valley in Chicago, headed for points West. Sonoma Valley recently passed though when enroute to the Grove.

Yep. I'm on the starlight now and the ppc is a ssl.
Watching the Dunsmuir webcam for a week suggests to me that there is one CS consist using a diner in place of the PPC and a second CS consist using a SSL in place of the PPC.

Back