Post here? or AGR? Please advise.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
I'm in the process of composing [yes, that's how I view this] a MAJOR trip this summer out west that will actually help me come closer to deciding exactly where I want to finally retire. I'm still about 3-4 years from being able to do this, but I need to be scouting places at this stage and getting my ducks in a row, so to speak. The December trip to Riverside, CA to visit my daughter was incredible and we found several areas in the So. Cal. basin that I might enjoy. But I want to explore Arizona too. On the SWC, I saw Arizona out my window - no stops. I want to explore Flagstaff more. One of my adult students actually has a rental property there, which she and hubby will take over in about 5 years for THEIR retirement. She's been giving me tons of literature about this place, and I want to investigate this firsthand. So. Part of my summer adventure should include a MIN. of 3 days in Flagstaff. If I don't like it, that's fine. Artistically - it seems perfect for me, a pianist and teacher. Bottom line is this - is it truly affordable for an independent, self-employed private tutor like myself. Not independently wealthy, but I do have substantial resources to help out for a few months. The differences between Flagstaff and Newburgh Indiana are HUGE. This is all I've known, all my life...but I've traveled the world so I know there are places better suited to me and my social/political tastes than the redneck so. Indiana quagmire. Flagstaff, or a suburb of Phoenix...who knows... I have to go where the market is for piano lessons. I'm fortunate to be able to continue to work as long as I can speak.
As far as a projected trip/scouting mission.... I would like to go west in early June. The SWC is the best way to get to Flagstaff from this midwest area. Probably would take the same route I took this winter - MRR from STL to KCY, then SWC to Flagstaff. According to my student - I'll fall in love with the Arizona area and never want to leave......well, that's dependent on a lot of criteria. .... but it sure sounds good:)
Now....I'll be more specific about what I'm wanting to do - I'd take the SWC to Flagstaff, spend some days there...then re-board and visit my daughter in Riverside, CA again. A couple of days there, then take the CS north to Seattle. I spent some time in SEA on the 2011 VBR tour, but didn't nearly see all I wanted to see. EB back to Chicago. Does this sound like a RailPass option? I could do it in 15 days. Ideas? Is this do-able?
Next question is....By time I book this, I will have apx. 23,000 AGR points and of course would like to redeem as many for this trip as possible. What might I see as redeemable with this sort of routing? And of course, thanks for any information might be provided here!

Well, if this was done as an AGR award, the points needed would be (and I'm using Roomette levels in this example)

STL to FLG = 20,000

FLG to CA = 15,000 (but I'd personally pay for this segment)

CA to SEA = 15,000

SEA to STL = 20,000

Stopovers are not allowed on an AGR award.

Roomette would be right. So, at very least I would be able to get the first leg covered by AGR, right? Sounds fine with me.

Honestly I would price out each segment individually, figure out which one will be the most expensive, and then use points on that. No sense in paying for one particular segment just because of how it falls in the sequence. Does anyone have any experience with booking other segments in conjunction with points? Every time I've booked on an award it has always been pure points, no paid segments.

Does anyone have any experience with booking other segments in conjunction with points?
It is no problem. Just book separate reservations.
As an example (and I'm using this as an example) book a Roomette from STL to FLG, another for coach from FLG to CA and another for a Roomette from SEA to STL. Then call AGR to book a Roomette from CA to SEA.

The only issue with paid and AGR combined ressies is that the tickets show up in two different places. If you book your paid reservation on line, they show up in your Amtrak app but the AGR only shows up in your email. If you use your smart phone for your tickets, you just have to remember which one you're using. On my last trip, right before we left, I had some issues with my smartphone email and was unable to call up the tickets. I hope someone is working on the app so it will show your whole trip, not just the on line segments,... but still print hard copies.

Save 5000 points by only using points to Albuquerque (zone boundary). Consider ABQ as a possible retirement spot. It has a great university. Flagstaff is at a high elevation and gets lots of snow in the winter.

Pay for coach from ABQ to FLG and from FLG to RIV.Use the one zone roomette from California to SEA. I like PDX better but that is up to you.

If the EB has cronic problems when you are traveling, consider getting a two zone roomette from SEA-SAC-STL using the southbound CS and the eastbound CZ.

When Amtrak has the 30% bonus, you can buy 13K points for $275. So ad that to 2K you already have and you have a one zone trip for 2K points + $275, often far better deal than paying cash for the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back