Possible job position in Hanford California?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowa train fan

Train Attendant
Might have an opportunity to move from the east coast to the west. What is the Amtrak train service like out there? How does it match with the northeast corridor? Any ideas on this area of the country. Thank you

I think it's only served by Amtrak California's San Joaquin route. I looked up the schedules and they also have thruway buses that connect with the Coast Starlight in Paso Robles.

Hanford huh? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I could handle a summer in the Central Valley. I worked for a few months near Sacramento, but got out before the summer months.

While Amtrak California has some of the highest ridership outside the Northeast Corridor, I'd say the dynamic of the service is different. The two routes in Northern California tend to service a different demographic of passenger as well as more casual travelers compared to commuters. In Hanford, rail service is not nearly as frequent as the Northeast Corridor. The San Joaquin route serves more casual and occasional travelers than the Northeast Corridor. If you are looking more frequent rail service or more commuter rail service you could take the San Joaquin to Hanford to the Bay Area.

Hanford is more in the rural heartland of California, the Central Valley. And as BCL mentioned the summers get HOT!

Forecast for Hanford

TodayJun 7
32.png
103°F

69°F

Sunny
  • CHANCE OF RAIN:
  • 0%
  • WIND:
  • NW at 9 mph
SatJun 8

32.png
108°

69°

Sunny
  • CHANCE OF RAIN:
  • 0%
  • WIND:
  • WNW at 8 mph
SunJun 9

32.png
100°

65°

Sunny
  • CHANCE OF RAIN:
  • 0%
  • WIND:
  • WSW at 10 mph

I have no idea, but I would prefer to be someplace else in the summer besides Hanford or Yuma!

I'm familiar with San Joaquin Valley. It's being surrounded by mountains in the east, hills on the south and west. There's an opening on the north, Bay area. Basically it's in the bowl. It gets hot until get start cooling down at midnight. Bakersfield is on the hottest end. Heck even in winter, it's very depressing with those tule fog!

Thank you to all, I know it would be HOT!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the train service, was not thinking of it as a commuter rail but more for if you wanted to take a day trip or even catch the Zephyr to SLC or Omaha for a trip. Well aware too of the fog/smog issue. Sub zero winters and tons of snow also sucks. Spent many months in Iowa with one inch of snow that would hang around for weeks, never getting out of the single digits. Yea San Clemente would be nice but I am not one of the one percent either. Thank you so much for all the advice.

From Hanford you can take a San Joaquin and connect to the Zephyr in Sacramento (same day) or Emeryville via overnight.

There are plenty of day trips you could do via the San Joaquin and associatd Thruway connections from the Bay Area to Los Angeles... Yosemite to the Coastal areas of San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara.

And San Clemente... Hop on the San Joaquin to Bakersfield, Connecting Amtrak Thruway to LAX, and then a Pacific Surfliner to San Clemente Pier... I'm not one of the 1% either but the ride is nice :)

Basically there are quite a few possibilities using California's network of Amtrak trains and associated thruway connections :)

I don't know about a day trip, but overnight might work. It's already over 4 hours to Emeryville plus the bus to San Francisco. Not only that, being late is real issue. Last night I was waiting for a ride at Berkeley when a San Joaquin went blasting through the station. I looked it up, and it was almost two hours late.

Ok, I live in Fresno just one stop north of Hanford. Train service in the valley in great 6 North and 6 south plus bus service all over the place. Hanford reminds me a lot of Sioux Falls. I take day trips all the time to Hanford.

The San Joaquin is an interesting route.

I don't know how else to say it, but a large proportion of their customer base doesn't speak English as a first language. And some barely understand any English. That's frankly part of the population of the Central Valley.

On Capitol Corridor I've been approached by someone sort of pantomiming about something. I'm not sure what, but he showed me his ticket for the San Joaquin starting at Emeryville and I think he was asking if we would be on time to make the connection. I've seen large groups waiting at Emeryville or Richmond for the San Joaquin, and basically only one or two people out of a group of 8 were actually boarding the train.

I think I drove through Hanford at least once. I was trying to connect from CA-99 to I-5 and going through Hanford and Lemoore seemed like the fastest way to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back