Positive experince just happend at PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter KG6LSE

Lead Service Attendant
Well I am heading on a train to my folks home soon . My grandma in holland passed away a few days ago and I want to get home to my folks house in time for me to give my dad some thing to take with him to set on her grave . He leaves Sat morning ( its over 8 grand to fly to holland so there is sadly no way I can go in person

My mom is too busy to drive up and pick me up . ( gas is still 1/2 the price of the train most days )

I am as some know handicapped . I dont EVER like to use my tag but I lost my job a few weeks back and money is VERY tight . No biz class for me!

So it was about 27 USD and I asked Michael at the Tix counter if I Can use my placard to get a discount and he told me No I need a SSI letter . so I just ponyed up the money .

So I sat down to get on my laptop and just for giggles looked up the amtrack site and volla there it says you can use a placard , thank god theres NO one here so I went to him and said .

SIr I think you might be wrong , The amtrak website says I can use my parking card.as long as its valid from the DMV. so he refunded me the difernce . . I am gonna mail a nice letter to Wash DC and give him a adda boy for his file .

While he was mistaken at first the sheer fact he was willing to learn and correct the mistake is all one can hope for in any service industry.

For the record I Have see him every time I have taken the train . While sadly I dont remember his name every time I ride . he sticks out as a honest employee and has been allwas Very nice .

Peter .

Peter, I'm so glad you got the discount straightened out. My hubby was never asked for any documentation to obtain the discount. It was obvious he had some difficulty in walking and used a cane, so maybe that's why. I hope you don't run into that again.

My condolences on the loss of your grandmother. I hope you have a good trip home and that your dad's trip to Holland goes well, too. Best to all of you~

My problem along with Knee problems is nuropathy ... Ill bet a train could run over my toes and Ill never feel it...

so I wear funky 5 finger shoes as they have a thin sole . I can feel at least something .

I Appear normal to most on the outside .. so I get some looks but most folks thankfully mind there own business.

live and let live . Yea if some one in a full on chair needs help I Am more then happy to Be polite let them have first dibbs on a bus seat ect .

Yea It was sad but she has a stroke and then 2 weeks passed away . she was 95 ....... Heck Ill be happy to make it to 75.

Peter, I think a large part of the Amtrak employee's good attitude was the courtesy and respect with which you corrected him, so kudos to you for that. You and he are both the sort of people that give Oregon a good name!

I've had a taste of neuropathy, and I can heartily sympathize with you. It's not fun.

I've ran in to a number of nice employees at PDX.

Sounds as if you were very polite when you went back and corrected him gently. These days so many people forget that if you're nice the folks you're dealing with are much more likely to be nice too.

Oh its gets better !

SO I got on the New cascades ( the winnibego version;) and sat in the single seat for disabled Car 3

some lady * whom was getting back from her mom passing in Ohio* had 3 HUGE like can fit me in them bags

and the conductor just had to get the train to go ASAP so she put them in my area. No biggy , I just need to have my leg straight so that my knee stings less . so I was surrounded by bags LOLS . Lisa ( the conductor and I had a laugh )

She was very chatty with me and so was the rather young LSA we had whom knows about US here on the forum..

gosh such a nice team. I feel bad for them . The new talgo's have a Ulgy bistro car and the seat area is not much better .

darnit I liked the ceiling where it lights up with tiny lights

. It made the cascades stand out as more fancy then the bread and butter am cans and there plain gear .

PDX is a great station. All Amtrak Employess are great and have wondeful passenger feelings.

Just stay away from the Green Taxi Company. Rude, Rude and more Rude.

Hey Peter,

Glad you're having a good time, and more glad that you're riding trains. :)

I'm a bit lost - do you, or don'tcha like the new Talgos?

My understanding was that just the cab car was ugly. But you think the interior is, too? The Bistro is ugly, but the little stars are nice?

I guess I just need pictures! :D

Glad you've had some awesome crews.

winnebago front aside . The bistro Seat car is OK . Not any stark changes really .

Its the bistro car its self that sad in comparason to the old talgos \

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtTALGO/BistroFull.jpg Old

Hebners.net

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ3j5ow5Hac/Uf-y2DY_5UI/AAAAAAAAC5Y/JL9OudEkwoI/s1600/IMG_0179.jpg New

Found on deptRedux

I just found the old ones more sophisticated and ritzy .. made the cascades" the acela of the PNW"

Our unique train . .

WS dot has this interisting look http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GXy-jZIUSMg/SxgOo4NXjZI/AAAAAAAAANI/E6rRkQWelU8/s640/ProposedBistro.jpg

as a opton.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back