Portland Oregon...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil_M

Conductor
I will be (99% sure!) in Portland OR next week for a few days. Any tips as to places to go, things to see, decent spots for rail photography, any scummy areas to avoid, places to eat and drink etc etc

All tips gratefully received! No car in the daytime, but not afraid to use public transport!

(The Steel Bridge looks interesting, is it ok for photography in the daytime?)

I will be (99% sure!) in Portland OR next week for a few days. Any tips as to places to go, things to see, decent spots for rail photography, any scummy areas to avoid, places to eat and drink etc etcAll tips gratefully received! No car in the daytime, but not afraid to use public transport!

I guess the Rose Garden is out of season, but there are a few places to drink beer. I particularly liked Laurelwood NW and Deschuttes, but was told to I ought not to have missed the Lucky Lab. Be sure to get the day pass on public transportation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be (99% sure!) in Portland OR next week for a few days. Any tips as to places to go, things to see, decent spots for rail photography, any scummy areas to avoid, places to eat and drink etc etcAll tips gratefully received! No car in the daytime, but not afraid to use public transport!

Neil,

I'm thinking of going to Portland also,although not that soon. I'll be watching for any replies to your question! Have fun!!!

Neil,

I'm thinking of going to Portland also,although not that soon. I'll be watching for any replies to your question! Have fun!!!
+1 for lucky lab (it's also really close by FreeGeek, the computer recycling/reuse center)

don't forget to check out Voodoo donut... YUM

Go to Powell's City of Books . It is a huge treasure-trove of used and new books. My family and I go out to Portland every few years (though not by train :huh: ) and that is one of the first places we hit each time.

As for hotels, we usually stay a few nights at the Westin (because we can use hotel points and it is right in the middle of downtown). You might get a good deal on it in the winter, but when we look during the summers it is pretty pricey.

Neil,

+1 for lucky lab (it's also really close by FreeGeek, the computer recycling/reuse center)

OK, I'll bite :) . Voodoo Donut? B)

portland is the city of bridges. there are paved promenades on both sides of the willamette river for viewing of many of the bridges. also a lower level walkway across the steel bridge. the pedestrian bridge next to portland union station is a good place for rail and station photos. a large area of downtown is a ride free zone on buses, light rail and streetcar. but i would get a day pass and take max (light rail) west to washington park or beyond. the park blocks just west of downtown (tansfer off max to the streetcar or walk) leading to portland state u contain the art and history museums. and as the above poster said go to powell's bookstore and also powell's technical bookstore only a couple blocks away

How about reasonable Hotels? May need one after hitting all those PUBS :lol: :p !
Powell's - Ditto. It's also near Chinatown so there arre some good decent restaurants there. Had Dim Sum at one and it was quite tasty.

Westin - Ditto

I was there last July. Took the CS from LA and it was fabulous. I could SO live in Portland. If you're into history the Oregon Historical Society is worth a visit ( a good friend is the Head of it). There's fabulous hiking and walking all around Portland. I will return! Have a great trip.

Well I can't really help ya on the trains spots to hit but the Columbia Rver Gorge is pretty cool,tracks on both sides of the river plus lots of scenery..

DSC_0417-1.jpg

DSC_0456-1.jpg

I'll grant you that Voodoo donut is unique, and their maple bacon bar is well worth trying. But I found that Stumptown Coffee, further down the street, had better coffee, as well as four taps, including Chimay. Your breakfast preferences (on vacation) may differ.

How about reasonable Hotels? May need one after hitting all those PUBS :lol: :p !
Last summer we stayed two nights in the Thriftlodge (who knew Travel Lodge had a minor league?) on East Burnside (on the route of the fairly frequent #20 bus) for 2 nights at about $60 a night. You can even get AGR points staying there. It wasn't much but it was clean and quiet. If you have more money (and like beer) I don't think that you can't do better than the Kennedy School. We were very impressed by the Heathman Hotel, but it's out of our price range.

Oh, and one other thing. The Portland Beavers are AAA baseball, and not at all popular in Portland. We showed up literally minutes before the game and got great seats behind home plate for $8-9. The field is right in the middle of Portland, and if you're bored watching the game you can admire the light-rail trains going by.

EDIT: I don't know east from west.

Going to Portland on the train has become one of my favorite destinations. We live in So Cal and have taken the CS up to PDX a few times to stay a few nights in downtown and then come home. It is really easy to get around in the downtown area. I assume that there is still the "fareless square" area - a large portion of downtown where the public transit is all free. It is easy to take a bus from the Amtrak station to spots nearby, also the light rail and street car are fun and free within the area. We would just ride it all over to check out stuff. The suggestions of Voodoo Donuts and Stumptown Coffee are both good and near each other. In downtown in Pioneer Square there is a tourism/transit office and they can help you get info on lots of stuff and maps, etc. We used this a lot. Powells giant bookstore is cool if you like books. The river is scenic and the bridges are fun to check out. I love to watch the trains go across. Finally there is a big outdoors Sunday market near the same area where Voodoo and Stumptown is located. Worth going there on a weekend to check out, lots of food vendors and funky items for sale.

You will enjoy Portland - hopefully it will be sunny (take an umbrella!)

I guess the Rose Garden is out of season, but there are a few places to drink beer. I particularly liked Laurelwood NW and Deschuttes, but was told to I ought not to have missed the Lucky Lab. Be sure to get the day pass on public transportation.
I'd be willing to pay for such a map of Seattle. :p I won't be spending enough time in Portland while passing through on the CS, but I'll be in Seattle long enough to use such a map. :ph34r:

I'd be willing to pay for such a map of Seattle. :p I won't be spending enough time in Portland while passing through on the CS, but I'll be in Seattle long enough to use such a map. :ph34r:
I was in Seattle last Sept & took in Chuck Mangione at JAZZ ALLEY. Nice Dinner Show,food,drinks etc.!!!

For a great place to stay try Portlands White House B&B, just off Broadway and on the bus line. Great rooms,great food, great hosts.

Well I can't really help ya on the trains spots to hit but the Columbia Rver Gorge is pretty cool,tracks on both sides of the river plus lots of scenery..
DSC_0417-1.jpg
Where is that?! That little building at the edge of the hilltop looks just like a miniature version of the huge world-famous Bahai* temple in Wilmette, IL. (Suburban Chicago, just across the street from Lake Michigan and a few blocks from the very north end of the "L" system, the Purple Line's Linden terminal, to keep us on a rail topic. :lol: )

*There's an apostrophe somewhere in Bahai, but I don't recall where. :)

DSC_0417-1.jpg
Where is that?! That little building at the edge of the hilltop looks just like a miniature version of the huge world-famous Bahai* temple in Wilmette, IL. (Suburban Chicago, just across the street from Lake Michigan and a few blocks from the very north end of the "L" system, the Purple Line's Linden terminal, to keep us on a rail topic. :lol: )

*There's an apostrophe somewhere in Bahai, but I don't recall where. :)
Vista House. It has just undergone some work and looks great.

Last summer we stayed two nights in the Thriftlodge (who knew Travel Lodge had a minor league?) on East Burnside (on the route of the fairly frequent #20 bus) for 2 nights at about $60 a night. You can even get AGR points staying there. It wasn't much but it was clean and quiet. If you have more money (and like beer) I don't think that you can't do better than the Kennedy School. We were very impressed by the Heathman Hotel, but it's out of our price range.

Oh, and one other thing. The Portland Beavers are AAA baseball, and not at all popular in Portland. We showed up literally minutes before the game and got great seats behind home plate for $8-9. The field is right in the middle of Portland, and if you're bored watching the game you can admire the light-rail trains going by.

EDIT: I don't know east from west.

Have done a little more research on the Portland area. Beautiful Area!!!

I'm thinking of using the money to play tourist in Portland to pay for my return trip by train instead of flying! I just have a hard time justifying $300 or $400 a nite to sleep. After all, all rooms look the same with the lights off! ;)

Have done a little more research on the Portland area. Beautiful Area!!! I'm thinking of using the money to play tourist in Portland to pay for my return trip by train instead of flying! I just have a hard time justifying $300 or $400 a nite to sleep. After all, all rooms look the same with the lights off! ;)
If you have a free day take a tour to Mt. Hood. Hood Tours

Mt. Hood Pictures

For a reasonable hotel, I'd priceline it. Some people lately have been getting the Westin in Portland (which is really nice) when they bid for 4 stars. You never know what you'll get though.

As for something to do, the book store (Powell's) is amazing if your into books. Check it out, like the person before me stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back