portland or seattle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are taking the Pacific Surfliner from San Diego, to connect with the Coast Starlight in Los Angeles.

We will then go either to Portland or Seattle. From there we are taking the Empire Builder home to Dearborn Michigan.

We are booking roomettes on both trains. We also plan on overnighting in a hotel before we board the EB.

2 questions.... will we have any trouble connecting in Los Angeles? There is not a lot of time from the arrival of the PS to the departure of the CS.

And, should we connect in Portland or Seattle? If we decide on Portland, we will be closer to the observation car. Won't that be better?

It seems like a lot of cars to pass thru to get to the observation car from the Seattle portion of the train. I know we will want to be up there most of the time, and not in the roomette.

With all the coach cars, is it hard to find a chair in the observation car?

It depends on which train you take from SAN-LAX. On the Pacific Surfliners, I would suggest taking the one that leaves at 6:10am. The express train at 7:07 would be fine on weekdays, but don't take the 7:00 weekend train. Either of the two I mentioned would be absolutely fine on connection time, but I'm not sure if either the 7:00 or 7:07 are legal connections. If you are staying overnight in either Portland or Seattle, I would recommend Seattle. You get an extra dinner onboard between Portland and Seattle, and on the EB from SEA to CHI, the Seattle section carries the diner, so you have an extra included meal there. In Seattle, you can fit in a lot in one day. Back in 2005, my grandma and I flew to Seattle (shame on us), and took the EB to Whitefish to visit my great aunt the day after we flew in. We did the Space Needle in the morning, then from the Pike's Place, we took the streetcar to near King Street Station, and just happened to stumble on the post office museum, which was very interesting, even for an 8-year-old (at the time). King Street was right next door, and they let us board the EB about 25 minutes before departure. On the CS, there is no telling which car would be closest to the sleeper-only lounge car, unique to the train. It's called the PPC, Pacific Parlour Car. On the EB, you would be closest to the diner from a Seattle sleeper, but multiple cars from the Sightseer Lounge car. In the Portland Sleeper, you would be multiple cars from the Sightseer Lounge, and almost a whole train from the diner. But don't let these stats make you pick. Hope that this info helps.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
At last check, *only* the 6AM Surfliner is a valid connection to the Coast Starlight. I always get business class for the included breakfasty foods and newspaper.

I would suggest the same-day connection at Portland. Even if you're set on spending the night, I'd strongly suggest connecting at Portland, anyway. It seems to be much easier to get around in Portland, and trip along the Columbia is quite scenic. And there's plenty of things to do that don't involve slinging fish.

Being closer to the Sightseer Lounge doesn't get you seat; it just saves some steps.

I also recommending connecting in Portland. And if you do not want to stay overnight in Portland, you do not have to!
excl.gif
A same day connection is available in Portland (but not Seattle)! If the CS is late, they will hold the EB. If the CS is very late, they may bus you to the EB or put you up in a hotel in Portland - on Amtrak's dime!
cool.gif

On my last trip on the CS, it was late so Amtrak chartered busses to take us from Albany, OR to Portland, OR - where they held the EB!

Hi mali40. Welcome and since you asked,,,

To answer your first destination question, I would ride CS to Seattle. Why? More time on the Coast Starlight, a really nice train, with the Pacific Parlour Car for First Class Passengers. Also, an overnight(s) and partial day(s) stay in Seattle is swell, as it is a terrific city. And departing Seattle on No. 8 Empire Builder you'll have a dinner in the Dining Car instead of a boxed lunch out of Portland on No. 28.

Search this forum for posts/threads on Seattle hotels; there are many. Walking to the Sightseer Lounge ("observation car") is easy from anywhere on the train. Seat availability therein depends on season and passenger count. I've always gotten a seat, peak season and off season.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip

Thank you all for the great tips. It sure is helpful to talk with people who have experienced this.

We are flying into San Diego for my nephews wedding, but will take the train home.

I can't wait to board and let the adventure begin.

:rolleyes:

Thanks again, and I am so glad I found this helpful site.

Because there is no diner on the Portland section of the Empire Builder 28, a cold boxed dinner is provided. You usually have a choice of beef, chicken, or seafood and the food is excellent. Add champagne or sparkling cider (your choice) and you have a great experience.

You have the option of eating in your room or taking the meal to the sightseer lounge and enjoy the incredible view as you travel up the Columbia Gorge.

Jim in PDX

Because there is no diner on the Portland section of the Empire Builder 28, a cold boxed dinner is provided. You usually have a choice of beef, chicken, or seafood and the food is excellent. Add champagne or sparkling cider (your choice) and you have a great experience.

You have the option of eating in your room or taking the meal to the sightseer lounge and enjoy the incredible view as you travel up the Columbia Gorge.

Jim in PDX
IMO, if the Salmon is offered, grab it !!!

Have Fun

Even though the dinner out of PDX is a cold boxed dinner, many people (including myself) say it is one of the best meals they have had on Amtrak!
excl.gif
(It is prepared by one of the gourmet restaurants in PDX!
cool.gif
)

And, should we connect in Portland or Seattle? If we decide on Portland, we will be closer to the observation car. Won't that be better?
Since no one else mentioned it, let me point out that it's a mixed bag. In the Portland sleeper you will be closer to the lounge car and therefore you'd have a shorter walk to that car. On the other hand, you now have a much longer walk to the dining car as you've got to walk through 2 Portland coaches, the lounge, and then 3 Seattle coaches in order to reach the diner.

So with 3 trips to the dining car on your first full day on the train and 2 trips on the second day, that's a fair amount of walking to the dining car. Whereas the odds are good that you'd only go to the Sightseer twice a day.

A few other thoughts too on this subject, in the Seattle section the dining car acts as a buffer between the coaches and the sleepers. This helps to keep coach passengers from wandering into the sleeping car. On the Portland section the lounge is in front of the coaches, meaning that it is much easier for coach pax to wander into the sleeper. So if you opt for the Portland side, be very careful with any valuables in your room. Also, if this trip is during the summer, they attach yet another coach at the end of the train in Minneapolis. The coach passengers in that car have no choice but to walk through the sleeper to get food.

As for which city to spend the night in, personally I think either is a fine choice. Both have more than enough public transit to help you get around. And as one person pointed out, going to Seattle means 1 more meal and more time in the very unique Pacific Parlour car.

Thanks again for all the great info. I think we are leaning toward Seattle at this point.

We have never been west before, and want to see every bit possible.

The train hasn't boarded yet, and I already feel ready to book another trip...LOL

I found the responses to this post really helpful. I've booked to take the CS to Seattle and then the EB to Chicago in July, and I've recently been kicking myself for that choice because I've never been to Portland but have visited Seattle previously. I'm still sorry I'm missing the Columbia River bit but the train layout makes me feel better about being on the Seattle section and I can always go to Portland another time :)

To the OP, I spent a day in Seattle a few years ago (arrived late evening, left on the CS southbound 2 days later) and you can see a lot in a short time there. I highly recommend the Bank of America tower, the view was amazing (I also did the Space Needle which was also great, but I think the views were way better from the BoA tower. I just googled it and it seems to be called 'Columbia Center' now.)

We will be arriving very late in Seattle. Any thoughts about which hotel to book?

Also, will we have any problem getting a cab or shuttle to a hotel?

This is our first trip to Seattle, and can't wait to put it on my list of places I have been.

I just saw yer post, hope yer still checking :) hotels near king st. 1) pioneer square best western. 2) pioneer square courtyard. 3) doubletree artic hotel 4) renaissance seattle(up the hill on Madison). U won,t have any problems getting a cab($10-12 fare). If u want car service check out uber.com. abt 20% higher. If u wish I can recommend restaurants as well. Welcome.

Although we are not going on the EB afterwards, (we fly back to Alaska from either PDX or SEA) I'm debating on whether to go all the way to SEA now or stop in PDX and fly home from there...we are using 15,000 miles for the roommette all the way from LAX. Sooo looking forward to this, since we only took the CS from LAX-SLO this summer!

We can fly back to ANC from either city, we're familiar with SEA, but not so much with PDX...I do love Seattle though, lots to do and I love the waterfront area! Refresh my memory...what is around King Street, and how easy would it be to walk around or get public transportation? We are probably spending 2 nights wherever we end up, the night we get there (late) and the following night and then returning home the following day. So essentially we would have a full day to do some sightseeing! Not sure how the weather will be then, it'll be the very end of March. I have to make up my mind by tomorrow, because I want to book the train with the points, I purchased 10k for $275 and they gave a bonus of 3000 pts! Combined with our existing balance, we had enough for the roommette.

Thanks for the Seattle hotel info. I will start checking them out this weekend.

Weather the end of march, 40's @ night 50's day cloudy w light rain to partly sunny. Kss is on the edge of Pioneer Sq. The tour of safco field is cool if yer an M's fan. There is a transit station which up the hill and two blks E useful for getting to downtown. $1.50 each way. Enjoy

For my planned long distance train trip in a few weeks, I actually have family in Portland I am visiting. I am taking Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Portland and staying several days. However, I decided not to take the Empire Builder out of Portland. Instead, I am catching the 8:30 am Amtrak Cascades to ride from Portland to Seattle in the morning and then board the Empire Builder in the afternoon to go Seattle to Chicago. When I booked, it was only 36 dollars to ride Cascades from Portland to Seattle. I decided I wanted to take Empire Builder out of Seattle to see Puget sound, the Cascade mountains, and also experience the Cascades Tunnel which is the longest rail tunnel in the US. Those might not be a preference for you. If you elect to take the Empire Builder out of Portland, you will see Columbia River Gorge which is also magnificent. Both choices have a lot to offer. I think it is just a matter of preference.

Cheers,

Lone Star Jeffe

Weather the end of march, 40's @ night 50's day cloudy w light rain to partly sunny. Kss is on the edge of Pioneer Sq. The tour of safco field is cool if yer an M's fan. There is a transit station which up the hill and two blks E useful for getting to downtown. $1.50 each way. Enjoy
Thanks! What would be a good choice for accommodations around there, assuming we'd have to take a taxi or shuttle either way. Much appreciation! :hi:

Thanks! What would be a good choice for accommodations around there, assuming we'd have to take a taxi or shuttle either way. Much appreciation! :hi:
We were there in October and stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square. Highly recommend it, great botique hotel, great rates, great staff, short cab ride from the station, and easy walking to the waterfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back