Portable DVD players

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingee01

Train Attendant
I am kicking around the idea of buying a portable dvd player for my girls to watch on our 24 hour train ride from Indy to NYC. Does anyone know if they work very well on the train and is there any place to plug them in?

Thanks

Many people bring along portable DVD players when riding Amtrak. You will need headphones to use the player, as you can't use the built in speaker while on the train. That would probably mean you'd need two sets of headphones, along with a splitter.

Power in coach can sometimes be a problem, but you may get lucky as some cars do have outlets at every seat. You can also head to the cafe/lounge car where most of the tables should have power plugs.

I don't think there is any movies on the Cardinal, is there? Hope I have the right train.

Boy the trains get the bum rap. On a cruise site someone mentioned they were wondering whether to go by train or plane and everyone basically said to save your sleep and go by plane. Maybe I am nuts trying the train, I don't know.

Last time you posted, you were taking the Cardinal, so yes that's the correct train assuming that you haven't changed anything. And no, I don't think that there will be any movies on the Cardinal. I don't think the lounge cars on that train have yet been outfitted with TV's.

As for travel by train vs plane, that usually comes down to personel preferences. Some people like it, some don't. However, in my experience most who try it, end up liking it. Many who speak ill of trains, have never taken a trip on a long distance train. Some have never even been on a commuter train.

I for example always take the train when I go to Walt Disney World with various members of my family. Two reason, one of course the simple fact that I love trains. The second reason, when you're at Disney World, you're always on the go. You want to see and do as much as possible. This of course means that even though you may be having a good time, you're also not getting much rest.

So the train provides a way for me to chill out, relax, and rest up both before I hit Disney and more importantly on my way home after visting Disney.

When I've flown to Disney from NY City, I ended up coming home exhausted. So I haven't done that in years.

Relaxing? I hope so. I personally don't care for planes. Now this train will be the first. Years ago we had a train in town called the Rocket. My husband (then boyfriend) and I took it to Chicago for a day of shopping. Boy did that train rock and I mean literally rock. We did have fun though.

That is all the experience I have had besides very short trips.

Ahhhh. Well I am headed your way. We have never been to NYC (unless when I was a child).

My husband has a portable dvd player on order (Panasonic). Do you think it would be hard to get a outlet on the Carnival in coach?

Thanks

One of the best investments I made was a portable DVD player. I ride Amtrak quite often and it's great..especially when there isnt much scenery or at night. The Cardinal does offer seats with outlets,but you ll have to find the right car. Of course you can always use the battery. Superliner cars dont usually have outlets at the seats,but you can charge it in the sightseer car. If you get a sleeper there is an outlet for you to use and you don t need headphones. Enjoy your trip!

Honestly I think the BEST investment (although much more expensive) is a laptop. I've done several long trips with a laptop, and it is a very handy tool to have at your disposal. I find it helps me stay organized with pictures, trip reports, etc. It is also handy for that DVD thing. :D Needless to say I'll be a happy little boy when my personal laptop arrives at the end of next month.

Do they show movies on the Eagle (train #22 & 422)? I'm taking this train to chicago over spring break in 1.5 weeks, with a small child and senior students.

Guest_Gingee said:
My husband has a portable dvd player on order (Panasonic). Do you think it would be hard to get a outlet on the Carnival in coach?
Thanks
Carnival??? Are you planning a cruise or a train trip? :lol: You mean the Cardinal, I know. It's a funny typo, though.

The best thing to bring along with your portable DVD player is a 10-15 foot extension cord in case there are only a couple outlets in your coach car like someone else mentioned. That way if you are not lucky enough to get the seats directly next to the outlet you will still be able to access it from a few rows of seats either in front of or behind it. It might also be a good idea to bring along a small power strip that you could plug in between the actual outlet and your extension cord just in case someone sitting next to the power outlet is using it all the time so that you both will be able to use it.

I know, this whole issue of limited power on a train is so 20th century sounding - hopefully Amtrak will get adequate funding eventually to begin a major capital improvement plan to upgrade the coaches and include power outlets and other basic amenities at all the seats.

dkersey said:
Do they show movies on the Eagle (train #22 & 422)? I'm taking this train to chicago over spring break in 1.5 weeks, with a small child and senior students.
Yes, however movies are not shown all the time. They typically start showing right around sunset when it is dark enough to be able to see the TV screens on the upper level of the sightseeing lounge car. Most lounge car attendants (they determine the showtimes and play the movies) will show two movies each evening. If you have questions about what movies will be shown and the times once you board, you can ask the cafe lounge attendant on the lower level of the sightseeing lounge car.

All movies shown on Amtrak are either edited to PG standards or are rated at PG or less, but they usually have the latest movies available on videotape to show. The only downfall is that the lounge car attendants are only provided with four videotapes to show at a time and if you're on the train for a number of nights you might end up seeing the same movie(s) shown over and over.

To Collins - in response to your comment about Carnival versus Cardinal - yes I did mean Cardinal even though we are taking the Cardinal train to go on a Carnival cruise. I have C on my mind.

Thanks also for the ideas for a cord and power strip.

Oh to Batalion - I do have a laptop but we are looking at something small we can carry in a backpack or something like that.

Back