Poll: How Many Points Do You Have In AGR Today?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have approximately _____ AGR Points TODAY

• Total voters
Myself, I have way to many!
laugh.gif
But my BIL's account (which I have use of the points from) has way to many also. And then there is my AGR for Business account that I can also use the points from.
mosking.gif

So I answered the combined total!
tongue.gif
Dave: theres this program where you can transfer points to other members! Since you have way too many just sitting in the account why not take pity on a poor retired government hand and transfer enough for a 2 zone Round Trip Award down to me so I can get out of this heat! 40,000 will do it! Thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:) I think that sounds like a nice idea!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My AGR Master Card points just posted to my account today and now my points are in the next group. :D :D :D

Right now I am at 22,800+, and, as my Chase cutoff date for my monthly statement falls on the 19th of each month, I will have 23,900+ by this time next week. I usually don't have this many points, but I got a refund of 10,000 points for my recent trip that rerouted from the CZ to the SWC and downgraded to coach from a deluxe bedroom. As soon as I get enough points, I cash them in for a one-way 2 zone trip either by roomette or deluxe bedroom.

Traveler I think its a shame :angry: you have to carry that heavy load of points around :eek: so I would gladly relieve you of some of those points :lol: so you can move around easier. :giggle:

50,000 points! Just got my CO points transferred showed up Monday AM (transfer done on Thursday)

I only have 1000 or so. I can't get the AGR Master Card. :(

I just checked out the list of stores that give AGR points. Wow. I wish I'd known about those a long time ago. Every time I order clothes and such online now, I'm going through the AGR site. :)

Rather silly question from a newbie- all you folks who have accumulated several tens of thousands of AGR points, how exactly have you got them all? I mean, could you share some of the "secrets" to accumulate AGR points apart from booking Amtrak tickets, because if I understand this correctly, when one books Amtrak tickets, one gets 2 points for every dollar spent, so I can't imagine all you folks have purchased Amtrak tickets worth $20,000 to $50,000 to earn those 40K to 100K points, that would require a helluva travelling on trains, or have you?
blink.gif

Someone like me who is starting from ZERO, or even those fellow "poor" souls who have few hundred points, would appreciate knowing ways to accumulate AGR points quickly
biggrin.gif

Of if some of you can want to consider giving a few thousand points away to "deprived" folks like us to jumpstart our numbers, you are welcome
help.gif

:hi: I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you! :lol: Actually there are numerous ways to accumulate points including, but not limited to:

1)Credit Cards offering Bonus AGR Points for signing up/using their cards (Chase AGR and Amex are the best)

2)Buy Points.com (take advantage of the 30% Bonus, usually in June)

3)Business travel

4)Using the AGR Card for everything you can, such frivolous things as rent/food/gas/insurance/utilities etc.

5)Sign up for and utilize AGR Promos as they are offered

6)on line shopping with AGR Partners

7)having family and friends join up and get referral Points

8)have family and friends buy you points/transfer them to your account

9)Amtrak Travel AND Using AGR Card ON THE TRAIN to purchase items/snacks etc.

The Best way to get a jump is to look for a credit Card offer that gives you 25,000/30,000/50,000 Points but even the Regular ones usually give like 12,000 for joining up!

Im sure the AGR Guru, the_traveler, now that Rhode Island has Electricity and Internet, will give you more Inside Dope, Im getting old and the mind is the first thing to go, I forget the 4th as GG-1 says! :lol:

Thanks for the "secrets". I think I will start with suggestion #8-

So, dear friend, would you buy me points/transfer points to my account? I could help a few thousand to start off with if that can get me one trip to Chicago on TE
mosking.gif

Thanks for the "secrets". I think I will start with suggestion #8-

So, dear friend, would you buy me points/transfer points to my account? I could help a few thousand to start off with if that can get me one trip to Chicago on TE
mosking.gif
I could help someone carry a couple thousand too...just saying :)

Sadly I have none. :( I took 2 trips on amtrak before I found out about AGR, and I had signed up just past the 90 mark so my two prior trips (roundtrip coach GRR-FLG, about $550 in tickets) don't count.

Well, I just showed my confusion on the rail points on another thread, so here goes again. We have about 55,000 points, but I don't know how this transfers into travel on Amtrak. We are planning a round trip to Flagstaff next year to do the Grand Circle in Utah and go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We really enjoy traveling on Amtrak, but don't have a lot of knowledge about how much of the point system works, either rail or AGR.

:eek:hboy:

Well, I just showed my confusion on the rail points on another thread, so here goes again. We have about 55,000 points, but I don't know how this transfers into travel on Amtrak. We are planning a round trip to Flagstaff next year to do the Grand Circle in Utah and go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We really enjoy traveling on Amtrak, but don't have a lot of knowledge about how much of the point system works, either rail or AGR.
Where are you traveling from?
huh.gif
The answer would depend on that information, as it may be 1, 2 or 3 zones you would need.
excl.gif

I know your screen name is "PA Traveler", but that doesn't mean you live in PA. There is (was) an AU member whose screen name is "30th street Station" - who was from Phoenix!

With my recent cancelation of my trip to the Gathering, I have another 100K to use. Now how am I doing to spend them? I only have about 300K to use!
Why the cancellation?

I think the folks over 200,000 points (the_traveler, Greg, KayBee, Shanghai, GoldenSpike, C&O RR, colobok, abcnews, & spidersfan351) should sponsor the rest of us! ^_^

With my recent cancelation of my trip to the Gathering, I have another 100K to use. Now how am I doing to spend them? I only have about 300K to use!
Why the cancellation?

I think the folks over 200,000 points (the_traveler, Greg, KayBee, Shanghai, GoldenSpike, C&O RR, colobok, abcnews, & spidersfan351) should sponsor the rest of us! ^_^
I agree! Help a young poor college student attend his first Gathering :)

Don't know why I can't multiquote! :blush:

But here goes my answer to the-traveler.

I do live in PA, in Pittsburgh, to be precise, so we leave out of Pittsburgh. We would be taking the CL to Chicago and then the SWC to Flagstaff. I'd have to look to see how many zones that is. I looked around at the reward site last night and have a little better idea abut this, but really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

You must have skipped a step. To multi-quote you need to select at least 2 posts by clicking the multi-quote button. Then you must click the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page. You cannot use the "quick-reply" function.

I do live in PA, in Pittsburgh, to be precise, so we leave out of Pittsburgh. We would be taking the CL to Chicago and then the SWC to Flagstaff. I'd have to look to see how many zones that is. I looked around at the reward site last night and have a little better idea abut this, but really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

You must have skipped a step. To multi-quote you need to select at least 2 posts by clicking the multi-quote button. Then you must click the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page. You cannot use the "quick-reply" function.
Thanks! I moderate on another forum, but this one works differently. Easy enough when you know what to do and where to look! :rolleyes:

Thanks!
I figured since the_traveler hasn't responded, I'd chime in with what I know, even though he is the resident AGR guru :)

Here is the AGR zone map (I have it bookmarked for such purposes) https://amtrakguestrewards.com/zonemap According to it Pittsburgh to Flagstaff would send you through all three zones, as Pittsburgh to Fostoria? (can't find it as an actual Amtrak stop, but it's a little southeast of Toledo) would be the first zone, then from there to Albuquerque is would be the second, and from Albuquerque to Flagstaff would be part of the third. I've ridden the SWC from Chicago to Flagstaff, and Flagstaff is really only about 5 hours away from Albuquerque (there's Albuquerque, then Gallup, NM; then Winslow, AZ; then Flagstaff) so that third zone might not be worth it to use points, a coach ticket from Albuquerque to Flagstaff is about $50-60 (it was $57 when I bought one for early October today).

If you only want to use a 1-zone award, I would use it on Toledo to Albuquerque, so you can get the most out of your award. If you used a 2-zone award then of course you have your options, but from looking at the map, Pittsburgh to Toledo would be a better use of an award than Albuquerque to Flagstaff.

You'll also have to call AGR when you want to make your reservation, as I just found out recently you can't redeem an award online if it requires a connection (also can't redeem if you're booking sleepers).

Hopefully I was able to help a bit :)

Thanks. I'll check out the link. We will certainly be doing a sleeper, so I always do that on the phone, anyway, as there are some roomettes I don't want.

Pittsburgh to Fostoria (can't find it as an actual Amtrak stop, but it's a little southeast of Toledo)
Fostoria is not an Amtrak stop anymore. I don't know why it still is listed on the zone maps. Fostoria used to be a stop on the old Broadway Limited route, which was discontinued many, many years ago!
sad.gif
(IIRC, the tracks have been removed in places also.)

Pittsburgh to Fostoria (can't find it as an actual Amtrak stop, but it's a little southeast of Toledo)
Fostoria is not an Amtrak stop anymore. I don't know why it still is listed on the zone maps. Fostoria used to be a stop on the old Broadway Limited route, which was discontinued many, many years ago!
sad.gif
(IIRC, the tracks have been removed in places also.)
Yes I thought that it was strange that it was still listed on the zone maps when it wasn't an Amtrak stop (train or bus) anymore...so I just guesstimated that it was somewhere around Toledo/Sandusky area

You know, I'll say that I don't think I can ever see myself cracking about 125,000 points stored up. At some point, I'd just start spending some long weekends in Florida or something...and besides, I think my LD trips to AZ will remain a twice-yearly thing as long as I can manage them.

Back