Police checks in abq?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMadison

Service Attendant
I wondered if these were new, I didn't see them in December, but had plain clothes cops on the train chatting with everyone this time through. Have you guys experienced thus too?

Back in April was on # 3 and had "police activity" in our car, 330 in ABQ. The strange story per our attendant was the person of interest slipped away and the train left. The person never returned to the roomette but it was unclear if they got off at the next stop or was hiding somewhere on the train. There are split feeling of "I'm on vacation, is this really what I'm dealing with, to great their catching the bad guys and taking them off the train?"

As I recall, there has been several topics on this type of activity that has mentioned ABQ.

Given the horrendous reputation of the ABQ police (now under DOJ investigation), I don't trust at ALL that they're "catching bad guys".

Yea this was the where are you from going thing. Dude seemed friendly enough, tho I heard the abq police tended to hassle folks (I suspect of the not white variety)

When I lived near ABQ, I always thought how weird it was to have a Border Patrol unit in town. ABQ is WELL within the check point zone for immigration purposes. If anything, check when boarding in LA.

So long as these cops aren't stealing people's money based on circumstantial, quasi-legal searches, it should be fine. Hi, how are you? I'm fine. Can I look in your bags? Do you have a warrant? No. No.

I was questioned outside Truckee in my sleeper car. He asked me where I was going and asked to see my ticket and ID. He saw on my ticket that I had purchased the ticket a few weeks prior so he said he believed me. (?) I'm wondering if had purchased the ticket the day before if he wanted to look inside my bags. Good thing no one questioned me the other day, as I had purchased a last minuted sleeper the night prior on my NOL to ATL trip. The sleeper was still in low bucket.

Maybe there was a threat or some kind of credible intelligence about someone with a warrant? Did anyone get arrested?
You don't need any credible intelligence to make use of civil asset forfeiture and you can seize virtually anything of value without having to arrest the actual owner.

Well most likely green carding people...
What is that assumption based upon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago we are on the SW Chief, or Limited, or whatever they call it nowadays. We were getting settled into our sleeper and overheard a fellow telling the attendant not to worry about changing over his room, etc.

The next day we get off in Albuquerque to stretch our legs and find something to eat, as it was to be a long stop. There's an interesting homeless population there including one fellow with a pet turkey.

Anyway we get back to the train. My g/f notices immediately that our bags have been moved. This was her first train trip, and she'd been paranoid about our luggage since we'd gotten onboard. Our bags had been opened and gone through.

I step outside and ask our attendant Gabe what's up? The police had boarded the train and arrested the fellow mentioned above for smuggling cocaine. Apparently they had searched our bags then. I'm thinking ***?

We're at dinner that night and sit with a young black kid from our sleeper. He'd been onboard when the police were there. He'd been searched along with his room and luggage. I'm thinking ***?

Later there was an announcement about smoking on the train. When we get to Trinidad, and person is taken off the train and arrested for smoking onboard.

All this after telling my g/f this was the coolest most relaxing way to travel. I doubt she'll ever take the train again. And I'm never leaving the train in Albuquerque again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back