Points + Coupons for 2 from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambdking

Train Attendant
Hello,

I have a little over 20,000 points as well as 2 "free companion" coupons. I would like a roomette from PITS to CHI and from CHI to LAX. I believe the cheapest way to do this is to use 20,000 points for CHI to LAX (those points cover 2 of us and a roomette, right?) and then buy 1 ticket and 1 roomette PITS to LAX and use the GR coupon for my guest.

So in the end, all I would buy is 1 railfare and 1 roomette from PITS to CHI. Is this the best I can do?

thanks!

I'd book the AGR ticket from Toledo (the zone boundary) to Los Angeles, and pay for the Pittsburgh-Toledo segment. That is, of course, assuming that PITS means Pittsburgh (PGH). It's probably better to spell out the city rather than to make up an ambiguous abbreviation.

I agree with Ispolkom. If your not sure of the code, you should spell out the name.

You had said "PITS", which many of us assume is Pittsburgh, PA. That city code is "PGH". However, there is also an Amtrak station in Pittsfield, MA, whose code is "PIT". We are confused which one you meant when you stated "PITS"!

BTW: Amtrak also has stations in Birmingham, AL and Birmingham, MI, as well as Portland, OR and Portland, ME. Not directly related, but from Boston's South Station, you can take Amtrak to Kingston, RI or take MBTA to Kingston, MA!

So if unsure, please specify the state as well as spelling out the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I have a little over 20,000 points as well as 2 "free companion" coupons. I would like a roomette from PITS to CHI and from CHI to LAX. I believe the cheapest way to do this is to use 20,000 points for CHI to LAX (those points cover 2 of us and a roomette, right?) and then buy 1 ticket and 1 roomette PITS to LAX and use the GR coupon for my guest.

So in the end, all I would buy is 1 railfare and 1 roomette from PITS to CHI. Is this the best I can do?

thanks!
That will not work because you cannot use the companion coupons for travel in sleepers. So in this scenario you would have to pay two railfares and the cost of a roomette as you cannot use your companion coupon for roomette travel.

I agree with Ispolkom. If your not sure of the code, you should spell out the name.
You had said "PITS", which many of us assume is Pittsburgh, PA. That city code is "PGH". However, there is also an Amtrak station in Pittsfield, MA, whose code is "PIT". We are confused which one you meant when you stated "PITS"!

BTW: Amtrak also has stations in Birmingham, AL and Birmingham, MI, as well as Portland, OR and Portland, ME. Not directly related, but from Boston's South Station, you can take Amtrak to Kingston, RI or take MBTA to Kingston, MA!

So if unsure, please specify the state as well as spelling out the city.
You'd think "PIT" would be the code for Pittsburgh to match the Airport designation.

Back