points + cash trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
Is it possible to basically book a trip using both points and cash? For example, if one were going from CHI to ABQ (one zone) in a roomette, it's 15,000 points. If I only had 10,000 and couldn't buy anymore, could I use those 10,000 to get a discounted rate on the roomette (and pay the rest with cash/credit), or would I have to wait until I got the 15,000?

You cannot mix & match points & cash with AGR. So you would have to wait until you could either buy another 5,000 or until you collected enough points via other methods including riding, credit cards, & transfers from other programs.

If you have a good friend or family member who is also in AGR, they could for a fee transfer those points to you.

A point on the above: You can't do a mix-and-match on a segment, but you can mix and match segments. For example, say you were going CHI-FLG instead of CHI-ABQ. You could use AGR to go CHI-ABQ and then pay cash for ABQ-FLG.

Also check out the Chase credit cards mentioned in this forum (Continental and Chase Sapphire). If you have good credit, you can get points that will transfer to AGR to top off your account :cool:

Back