Planning our trip on the Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for VIA preference tip. Our group debated the class of travel and in the end decided prestige class was just something most wanted to experience just one time. It is expensive no doubt but you only live once. The travel agent did knock down VIA cost for the Canadian. She got good deals on what appear to be nice hotels and tours. We did pad our trip to avoid late train problems. The travel agent has done so well we are adding a trip on the Corridor to Montreal.

The biggest complaints I have read have been on delays. I totally understand. I rarely see one complaining about staff. I saw very few on the cabins and berths. I haven’t found one on prestige class complaints. So far, so good.

I will post the hotels and see what you all think.

The only thing so far on planning is transfers. Airport to hotel. Hotel to train. Travel agent says she can’t do the transfer like she wants to due to some rule. I usually use Uber anyway and I am told they are plentiful. Is that the case?

It is an expensive adventure so I really appreciate all your help. I don’t want to miss something in my planning.

Thanks again - Tim

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

The best part of a delay on the Canadian is that you get to spend more time on the train!

The hotels the agent has set up are the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre, Fairmont Royal York and Omni Mont-Royal. She got excellent rates. Trip advisor gave them good ratings. Is their something I should know about these hotels?

Can someone tell me about the Vancouver trolley?

The travel agent is really doing a great job of making a super expensive outing into an expensive adventure. It makes me think something isn’t right but maybe I hit the right person. The VIA trains were booked by Railbookers, a company I have never heard of.

I did double check and she has us in prestige class.

Right now it is looking like $4500 per person.

Thanks again for all the input - Tim

Offhand, I can tell you that the Royal York is one of the original Canadian Pacific chain of hotels (now mostly Fairmont), and has a direct passageway into Toronto Union Station...not familiar with the other's...

The Hotels are all First Rate, with the Royal York in Toronto being connected to Union Station by a tunnel. ( Its an ex-CP Railroad Luxury Hotel.)

Vancouver has Trolley Buses that run on wires. I believe you may be asking about the SkyTrain (Light Rail/Subway) which was built for the World Expo back in the 90s.

It runs from the Airport all over Greater Vancouver and is a great way to sight-see and travel around Vancouver.( buy a Day Pass which includes the Sea Bus/Ferry to North Van from the Water Front stop of the Sky Train. )

This is now a combo Mall,Food Court,Hotel,Cruise Ship Terminal( One Canada,Place) and Sky Train Station(underground), it's the old CN Rail Waterfront Station.

There is a stop ( elevated) right in front of Pacific Central Station so getting there is EZ-PZ when its time to catch the Canadian.

This sounds like a good deal,good travel agents are rare now a days.

Looking forward to your trip report and know that we are envious!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tunnel between Union Station and the Royal York is now closed due to the major reconstruction project at the station but no problem.....it's just across the street. Here's a view of Union Station from the Royal York entrance.

20170915_150244.jpg

There was an actual trolley that ran between Granville Island Market and the Olympic Village during the Winter Olympics and for awhile after. Tracks and trolley wire are still there, but hasn't been running in a long time.

There is a "Vancouver Trolley" hop-on hop-off bus tour with buses that are made up to look more or less like cable cars. As a juice fan, I would go out of my way NOT to ride that.

Just take TransLink around, don't bother with any hop on hop off BS. Especially not in a toy.

Translink has lots and lots of trolley bus lines around, though. What used to be called "trackless trolleys" way, way back when. And, of course, the SkyTrain/Canada Line system.

Canada Line is the best, fastest, and cheapest way to get from the airport to downtown. The cars have space for luggage. Although it is not particularly convenient to the Sheraton Wall Centre, about a 6 block flat-ish walk from the Vancouver City Centre station on the Canada Line.

This is now a combo Mall,Food Court,Hotel,Cruise Ship Terminal( One Canada,Place) and Sky Train Station(underground), it's the old CN Rail Waterfront Station.
Waterfront Station is the former CP station and was not called Waterfront when in Canadian Pacific service, it was just the CP station. The former CN station is now Pacific Central Station that serves the Canadian and the Amtrak Cascades. That also was just the CN station back in the day, not "Pacific Central". The big PACIFIC CENTRAL sign on the roof has the roughly same size letters, font style and color as the big CANADIAN NATIONAL sign that it replaced, BTW.

The Canada Place cruise ship pier is not part of Waterfront Station, it is very close, about a half block to the west. What is there is the dock of the SeaBus ferry to North Vancouver. There is also not a hotel in Waterfront Station, it really isn't big enough, but there are lots right around it. There is a nice restaurant (Rogue) in there in addition to the yogurt stands, food court kind of places.

I'd encourage you to take a look at Waterfront station while you are there if you are into railroad stations at all. It is nicely restored, very pretty and a working station for Skytrain, SeaBus and the West Coast Express commuter trains (which unfortunately only run weekdays, inbound morning, outbound afternoon and therefore difficult to take a joy ride on).

Opps, I knew it was CP! And thanks for the updates on Vancouver's transit. ( Coulda sworn there was a Hotel in Canada Place and that it was all connected, the aging mind plays tricks.)
There is a hotel in Canada Place: the Pan Pacific Vancouver.

I put down my deposit! Several friends also are locked in. I am very appreciative. I have been watching the times and very happy we chose to go out of Vancouver. Great suggestions on things to see.

I am so stoked. Can’t wait for June.

Tim

Back