Planning a trip on the Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_MontanaJim

Im taking the zephyr in december. not sure if i should go all the way to oakland or stop in salt lake city (salt lake would be more convenient to my home).

I was wondering, which mtn crossing is more dramatic---the rockies west of denver or donner pass in california?

Guest_MontanaJim said:
Im taking the zephyr in december. not sure if i should go all the way to oakland or stop in salt lake city (salt lake would be more convenient to my home).
I was wondering, which mtn crossing is more dramatic---the rockies west of denver or donner pass in california?
That is a real tough call. Both are absolutely breath taking in their own right. Honestly, I wouldn’t miss either of them if I had a choice.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
That is a real tough call. Both are absolutely breath taking in their own right. Honestly, I wouldn’t miss either of them if I had a choice.
Denver to Sacramento on the Zephyr is worth the ride.

sechs said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Denver to Sacramento on the Zephyr is worth the ride.
Exactly my take on this as well! If there is anyway you can do both, def. take that option.

Very nice train ride. You might want to add an extra day in case the train gets stuck out in the middle of nowhere, and then gets to your destination very late.

Amtrak-P42

I checked out your web pictures and you stated on one of them that you didn't recommend taking pictures from the train as it could result in penalties, I'm assuming you are refering to fines. You can't take pictures from the train? No viedo either? If this is right I don't understand the reason for this? What about inside the train? We had planned on making a video diary of our trip, but I surely don't want to anything against the regulations. Could you give me more info on what we can and can not photograph. I hope I misunderstood the caption on your picture.

Judy said:
Amtrak-P42
I checked out your web pictures and you stated on one of them that you didn't recommend taking pictures from the train as it could result in penalties, I'm assuming you are refering to fines. You can't take pictures from the train? No viedo either? If this is right I don't understand the reason for this? What about inside the train? We had planned on making a video diary of our trip, but I surely don't want to anything against the regulations. Could you give me more info on what we can and can not photograph. I hope I misunderstood the caption on your picture.
If I'm reading the same caption you are, his comment was in reference to opening the window on the vestibule door and sticking one's head/camera out. A definite no-no.

Any photography inside the train is allowed.

rmadisonwi said:
Judy said:
Amtrak-P42
If I'm reading the same caption you are, his comment was in reference to opening the window on the vestibule door and sticking one's head/camera out. A definite no-no.

Any photography inside the train is allowed.
Exactly, I was referring to sticking your head out the window. On a side note, I do really need to update that page. Some of the writing on there is from over 4 years ago in 9th grade and could use quite a bit of work. Especially since I included the link in some of my college apps. :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up. When you said that you took the pictures out of the window I thought you meant "through" the window. I won't even let my son stick his hand out of the car window doing 30 mph. I guarentee you there will be no taking of video out of open windows on the train. I'm just glad he can take video. He is an aspiring film maker and this will be his first documentary.

I enjoyed your photo. You were just in high school when you took them? Very impressive.

Back