Planning A Mega Trip - Focus on CS or CZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil's Advocate

⠀⠀⠀
1. I want to schedule a much longer ride to see more of the Amtrak system instead of just another short trip on the same two routes I'm already familiar with. I already did a trip out east this year for NTD so this time I'm looking North and West of TX. If I head West I can see the full Coast Starlight route as part of a SL > CS run and hang out in the PPC (assuming it's not bad ordered) before ending up somewhere in the Northwest. Amtrak also offers a TE > CZ > CS ticket for the same number of points. Which option would you take?

2. I must admit that the TE > CZ > CS ticket sounds like one heck of a train ride to me. However, Amtrak expects you to spend ten hours in Sacramento until the Coast Starlight finally shows up at midnight. Assuming it's on-time. I could probably find ten hours worth of late-day and late-night stuff to do in a place like Chicago, but Sacramento? Is there any way to adjust that part of the trip? If Amtrak would give me an actual stopover in Sacramento I'd happily take it. If Amtrak would give me a way to travel further south and pick up the Coast Starlight earlier I'd take it. But this ten hours till midnight stuff doesn't sound like much fun at all.

3. I've already visited Seattle not long ago but it's been ages since I saw Portland and I've never been to Vancouver. Between Portland and Vancouver which city would you prefer to explore and why?

4. I think most folks are aware that there is some late night switching that occurs in San Antonio between the Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited consists. But what I find curious is that there are sometimes two Superliners just sitting there in the sun the next day. Does anybody know what they're doing there?

1. I want to schedule a much longer ride to see more of the Amtrak system instead of just another short trip on the same two routes I'm already familiar with. I already did a trip out east this year for NTD so this time I'm looking North and West of TX. If I head West I can see the full Coast Starlight route as part of a SL > CS run and hang out in the PPC (assuming it's not bad ordered) before ending up somewhere in the Northwest. Amtrak also offers a TE > CZ > CS ticket for the same number of points. Which option would you take?
Sort of a toss up. Yes I know, not much help.

The SL-CS gives you the full run of the Coast Starlight. The Zephyr gives you the Rockies.

2. I must admit that the TE > CZ > CS ticket sounds like one heck of a train ride to me. However, Amtrak expects you to spend ten hours in Sacramento until the Coast Starlight finally shows up at midnight. Assuming it's on-time. I could probably find ten hours worth of late-day and late-night stuff to do in a place like Chicago, but Sacramento? Is there any way to adjust that part of the trip? If Amtrak would give me an actual stopover in Sacramento I'd happily take it. If Amtrak would give me a way to travel further south and pick up the Coast Starlight earlier I'd take it. But this ten hours till midnight stuff doesn't sound like much fun at all.
You can request the transfer in Emeryville, it too is a guaranteed connection. Some agents initially balk at the idea, but it is a valid routing in ARROW and therefore bookable. So keep trying to politely pressure them or call back later and get a different agent.

Note: There is far less to do in EMY than there is in SAC. SAC at least has the California RR Museum. On the other hand the layover is much shorter in EMY.

3. I've already visited Seattle not long ago but it's been ages since I saw Portland and I've never been to Vancouver. Between Portland and Vancouver which city would you prefer to explore and why?
Either is a fine choice. Vacouver of course requires passport and the hassles of border crossings. It's a beautiful ride on the Cascades to Vancouver however!

4. I think most folks are aware that there is some late night switching that occurs in San Antonio between the Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited consists. But what I find curious is that there are sometimes two Superliners just sitting there in the sun the next day. Does anybody know what they're doing there?
Probably spares for bad ordered cars and fill-ins for days that the Sunset runs so late as to miss the connection to the Eagle.

In my opinion the best part of the CS is Los Angeles-Oakland; in particular Santa Barbara-Salinas. I think it would be a shame to miss that stretch, PPC or no. There are parts of Southern Oregon which are spectacular but as a whole it doesn't compare. I tried a multi-city trip and Taking the CZ all the way to Emeryville, then the Capitol Corridor down to San Jose and getting the CS looks legal; whether AGR would allow you to book that is another matter altogether. You could probably at least go all the way to Emeryville. Having spent a few days in downtown Oakland I wouldn't call it the greatest place in the world to hang one's hat.

As to destinations, I think Portland's a fun place to visit. I've never been to Vancouver.

Chris: Much as I Love the CS Route from LAX-SEA :wub: , gotta say the TE-CZ-CS Route is the One to take if you have to choose one! The Sunset Ltd. is no Great shakes on Scenery (mostly Desert as you know! :help: ). The California Zephyr Route, even with the current Re-Route around Omaha, is the Best Scenery going in Most peoples opinion. As others have said you can go on to Emeryville on the CZ but Sacramento has the Rail Museum ( a Do Not Miss! :wub: ) ,

Old Sacramento on the River where you can eat/shop etc.) The Station is NOT a Very Good place to wait till Midnight but on Balance it beats Oakland (Emerryville, Davis or Martinez as a place to wait!) The Route up the Northern Coast through Mt. Shasta, the Cascades etc.is very Nice, especially in the PPC.

As to Portland vs. Vancouver, BC?? Portland is Nice, but Vancouver is the Hidden Gem of North America, I can't stress strongly enough to Visit for More than a Day in this Beautiful City! :cool: Be sure and ride the Train, NOT the Bus!!! Ive ridden all these Routes, the only Negative is the Van ride from Springfield to Galesburg through the Corn Fields but Overall the TE/CZ/CS is the way to go! You won't Regret it! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for Sacto on this thread, I see. Downtown Sacramento really rolls up the sidewalks at 5, when the government workers go home, but there are restaurants and nightlife in Midtown, not too far from the station. Take the 30-J St. bus or the Gold Line light rail eastbound right from the Amtrak station, but remember that the last bus and train back are both a bit after 20:30. After that, you'll need to call a cab. (Sacramento RT has suffered some serious cuts in recent years, they used to be more awesome.)

My vote would be for the TE > CZ > CS run as you will have some serious train time to enjoy the rails and take in the contrasting sights. If you detrain the CZ at Emeryville as AlanB suggests, it is a short jaunt across the pedestrian bridge to the International Food Court where you can find a variety of supper ideas. Alternatively, you could have a nice dinner in the restaurant of the [former] Woodfin; it has just changed hands into a Hyatt Summerfield Suites, so I'm not sure what's cookin' there currently. Next to the food court is a Borders where you can have a java and relax with a book or magazine while you wait for the Starlight to come in.

Perhaps you can crank the CS into your next trip and make it a point to catch the southern half. The coastline after Gaviota running through Hollister Ranch and Vandenberg AFB is like stepping into a time machine, affording views of what the California coastline must have looked like 300 years ago. Just pure, unadulterated Pacific seascapes.

I'm glad that you are hitting the rails and wish you much luck in the planning which is of course half the fun! :p

Postscript Edit: I think the Borders actually closed due to their financial duress. There is a Peets however where you could get that java and a newspaper to pass some time.

I agree with Mackensen: the scenery along the beach at the south end of the Coast Starlight run is great. It would be a shame to miss that, and exchange it for a 8 hour layover in Sacramento. It wouldn't be bad to be there for 8 hours during the day, but if you're on time, you'll get in only an hour before the rail museum closes, so you'll have to find something else to keep you busy until midnight (at least).

I think the way to do the Zephyr is to transfer from the Coast Starlight going southbound. The layover in Sacramento is shorter, and you get to descend into Denver in the evening, which everyone says is lovely.

Between Vancouver and Portland, I'd choose Portland, but then again, I live there.

You could spend the day riding our extensive rail transit system: the MAX, the Streetcars, and the West Side Express. If that's not enough time on rails, you can ride the steam train at the zoo, or test out the arial tram that runs from the south waterfront to OHSU overlooking the river. The train station is next to a MAX stop, and right in downtown, so it's an easy walk to restaurants, hotels and of course, Powell's books.

Happy travels!

I would choose the TE/CZ/CS option. IMHO, the scenery on the CZ is unmatched with the Colorado Rockies and the Sierras. I even enjoy the crossing of the Mississippi River into Burlington. Plus it's a much longer trip so I can enjoy more time on trains! :lol:

As for the long wait in Sacramento, that is indeed a problem. One good thing: you shouldn't have to worry about missing your connection! :lol: I enjoyed the railroad museum and Old Sacramento a couple of years ago while there; in August (Lord willing and the rivers don't rise any more!) I am taking a CZ/CS trip Chicago-Seattle with my uncle and his granddaughter.

We are making the connection at Sacramento, as we wanted to go back to the museum and Old Sacramento. If that doesn't sound interesting to you, it looks as if ColdRain & Snow has outlined a couple of good suggestions if you choose to opt for Emeryville instead.

I've been to Portland on numerous occasions (and will be there next Friday for several hours) and it is a great place to visit. I've never been to Vancouver save for a short drive in the far suburbs, but from what I have been told by anyone who has ever visited, it is a must see! It sounds as if it is well worth the expense of a passport and the hassles of the border crossing. I've never ridden the Cascades north of Seattle (on my must-do list!) but have driven that general route from Seattle to the border, and even from I-5 the scenery is great and from the vantage point of a rail traveler I'm sure it's even better!

All that to say: I'd go for the TE/CZ/CS. Oh, and one other thing: Have fun and happy traveling! Until 2004, I hadn't ridden long distance on a train since the pre-Amtrak days, since I was a wee lad of five years old in 1965. I'm doing what I can to make up for lost time! :lol:

I took my FIRST mega trip in 2010 and had originally planned to do the SWC and CS, but then read a New York Times article about the California Zephyr and changed my mind. I loved the CZ, but hated the SAC layover. It was hot in SAC (at the end of August) and the station is not air conditioned, however it cooled off when the sun went down. There was a group of about 10 of us that hung out together and we all were bored to death. If I would have thought about it (and had extra money), I would have rented a motel room for the 10 hours and relaxed in comfortable surroundings or stopped over in EMY. I did go to the train museum, but that closed at 5pm.

I was very happy that I took the CZ in 2010 and I highly recommend it. In 2011, I will be taking the SWC and the CS from LAX to SEA for the gathering. :)

If you have never done the full run of the Coast Starlight, then I highly recommend you do that first and work the CZ in to a different trip. The CS is just about as good as it gets for Western US trains, in my opinion. Watching the scenery roll by in the PPC is something everybody needs to experience if you have a chance. The CZ is equally as wonderful, but there is a better chance of the PPC going away in the consist than there is of the CZ being eliminated. In other words, you can always take the CZ another time.

I have never had a problem getting my layover moved to EMY, but it sounds like I am lucky in this regard.

Portland is a fun and interesting city, so I very much recommend you stop there. The train station is great, and it is so easy to get around in that city using public transportation. They are in the middle of renovating the station, but that does not detract too much from its charm.

No love for Sacto on this thread, I see. Downtown Sacramento really rolls up the sidewalks at 5, when the government workers go home, but there are restaurants and nightlife in Midtown, not too far from the station. Take the 30-J St. bus or the Gold Line light rail eastbound right from the Amtrak station, but remember that the last bus and train back are both a bit after 20:30. After that, you'll need to call a cab. (Sacramento RT has suffered some serious cuts in recent years, they used to be more awesome.)
And rightly so. I've lived in Sacramento (Downtown/Midtown) for the past decade. There really isn't a whole lot to do here. Light Rail doesn't go to any of the places where people really gather in Midtown and has safety issues at night. Second, Sac RT was never "awesome" at all. It was barely adequate prior to the service cuts and is now virtually unusable outside of commuting into or out of downtown during business hours. In the summer the only thing near the station open or available later in the evening is either a movie at Downtown Plaza or a River Cats game is they're in town and playing that night.

First of all thanks to everyone who replied. Your comments have been very helpful. I have been trying to swing the TE > CZ > CS trip but as mentioned in the AGR thread I'm getting stuck trying to find a way to book one of six empty roomettes on the CS. I'm doubtful I'll be able to pull it off so now I'm thinking I'll probably have to do the SL > CS route. It's not my first pick but it would get me around the whole after hours SAC dilemma. The part that really soured me on the CS was the "congealed entrees" post regarding the PPC meals in another thread. I was hoping the PPC was drastically better than the standard diner but now I'm wondering if it might actually be worse. In any case I now know that it's far more limited in what's available for each meal. It's not the end of the world but it's certainly not what I was expecting. I'm kind of 50/50 on this trip right now. I want to go but I don't want to argue/beg with AGR about making exceptions in order to book a roomette and to avoid spending ten hours at SAC and the like. Honestly I'm still a little surprised the CZ route even shows up. There's apparently no SWC or EB route allowed from SAS to SEA, so why does the CZ show up? Maybe it was a mistake or was only meant as a secondary reroute in case of other complications.

Chris: I know the SSL Route isnt that Great but the CS from LAX-PDX/SEA IS Great!!! :wub: The Best Meals I Have Had on Amtrak were in the PPC, So Let me Urge you to Go Ahead and Book the Trip! You can Always do the CZ later , or even Return, SEA-SAC-GBB-SPL-SAS. (GBB-SPL is in a Van through the Cornfields of Ill!!! :help: )

BTW-Since the SSL only Runs Three Days a Week SAS-LAX, have you talked to a Supervisor @ AGR re Booking the SAS-SPL-GBB-EMY-SEA Trip you want ON DAYS the Sunset Doesn't Run??? I have booked this Route Three Times, No Problem but have to admit I only went to SAC since Emeryville Didn't used to be a Guraanteed Rez!

On the day I am planning to leave both routes are active. There's another twist on this whole thing in that I am likely to be in the ELP area shortly before I leave. If I decided to do SL > CS I could shave 5,000 points off my redemption fee. Not sure that's a big enough benefit to sway me but it's still better than nothing. And, honestly, these are pretty nice problems to have. Worrying about taking the CS or CZ you can't really complain either way! I just had a mistaken idea about how AGR worked. As I get more familiar with it there will be fewer complications and pitfalls over time.

I don't know what post you are talking about with "congealed entrees" in the PPC but I've had many meals in the PPC and they have all been pretty good. Yes, the choices are more limited than in the diner (and the vegetables and rice pilaf served with dinner both leave much to be desired, same as in the diner) but the meal experience is generally much, much better in the PPC.

I certainly wouldn't let one person's opinion about one option on the CS be enough to dissuade me from even considering the experience. ;)

I don't know what post you are talking about with "congealed entrees" in the PPC but I've had many meals in the PPC and they have all been pretty good. Yes, the choices are more limited than in the diner (and the vegetables and rice pilaf served with dinner both leave much to be desired, same as in the diner) but the meal experience is generally much, much better in the PPC. I certainly wouldn't let one person's opinion about one option on the CS be enough to dissuade me from even considering the experience. ;)
Barring some unforeseen disaster both of these trains (CS and CZ) will be in my future, so really it just boils down to which one I want to try first. The PPC sounded pretty darn nice with many fans. But when this post wasn't roundly refuted my eyes perked up and I wondered if I had been missing something in past posts.

I say CZ over CS by a lot. I had taken the CZ three times previously, and just returned from my first trip on the Southern section of the CS. I loved the views but think the PPC is over rated unless nostalgia is big in your book. I had two excellent meals, but don't care for the exclusive nature of the car - I typically find coach passengers to be at least as interesting as sleeper passengers.

And leading up to the CZ trip home (last week) I was wondering if I'd find the ride boring since I had done it so much before. WRONG. It was really the highlight of a 7,000 mile circle I just did (LSL/SWC/CS/CZ/LSL. People keep mentioning the Rockies (as well they should!) but let's not forget the Sierra Nevada either, nor those beautiful huge red and orange buttes and other colorful geological features of Utah.

I love the train dining experience but it's not the main reason I like the train - for me it's about the getting and being there, the views, and the people I meet along the way. PPC is excellent food (the one time I've been in it) - but there are a whole lot of really good restaurants nearly everywhere I go. Being in motion doesn't really enhance the dining experience for me.

I don't know what post you are talking about with "congealed entrees" in the PPC but I've had many meals in the PPC and they have all been pretty good. Yes, the choices are more limited than in the diner (and the vegetables and rice pilaf served with dinner both leave much to be desired, same as in the diner) but the meal experience is generally much, much better in the PPC. I certainly wouldn't let one person's opinion about one option on the CS be enough to dissuade me from even considering the experience. ;)
Barring some unforeseen disaster both of these trains (CS and CZ) will be in my future, so really it just boils down to which one I want to try first. The PPC sounded pretty darn nice with many fans. But when this post wasn't roundly refuted my eyes perked up and I wondered if I had been missing something in past posts.
The quality of food in the PPC is the same as the Diner. I’m sure lousy food is served in the PPC from time to time just like it is in the Diner. But, unlike the Diner, the PPC has better views, no community seating, much more relaxed atmosphere, and you can sit at your table (by yourself, if you want to) for quite a long time and enjoy things. Plus, you have less foot traffic in the PPC than you have in the Diner.

There are fewer seats in the PPC than in the SSL, but it doesn’t get that crowded very often. I have never had a problem getting one of the big comfy swiveling chairs at some point during the trip. Plus, when they are not showing movies in the downstairs theatre, you can watch the scenery from there.

So, don’t worry about the food, unless you have a big problem with the quality of food they serve in the Diner. And the complaints about the seating in the PPC must come from people who just can’t be satisfied about anything. We are talking about Amtrak here, not Hilton or the Ritz-Carlton. They are giving you your own table to yourself to eat your meal at your own pace, a comfy chair to enjoy the scenery, a small theatre downstairs, and an attendant who will bring a drink to your seat in the PPC. How is all of this unsatisfactory?

You make a strong case Guest Rider. Thanks for your input. Maybe fighting with AGR is worth a little more effort or maybe I can just suck it up and accept 20 hours of coach on a roomette award. :eek:hboy:

Edited to add... But so does George B! Dang, I'm having a hell of a time. Better book something before I end up in coach the whole way! :eek:

I'm not sure what you mean about roomette/coach business - if you have to downgrade to coach you will get back a lot of the points - I did two consecutive coach overnights on my recent trip (LSL and SCW to ABQ) and it was fine - I admit that entering my roomette at ABQ was a treat though! (I'm 62)

The quality of food in the PPC is the same as the Diner. I’m sure lousy food is served in the PPC from time to time just like it is in the Diner. But, unlike the Diner, the PPC has better views, no community seating, much more relaxed atmosphere, and you can sit at your table (by yourself, if you want to) for quite a long time and enjoy things. Plus, you have less foot traffic in the PPC than you have in the Diner.

There are fewer seats in the PPC than in the SSL, but it doesn’t get that crowded very often. I have never had a problem getting one of the big comfy swiveling chairs at some point during the trip. Plus, when they are not showing movies in the downstairs theatre, you can watch the scenery from there.

So, don’t worry about the food, unless you have a big problem with the quality of food they serve in the Diner. And the complaints about the seating in the PPC must come from people who just can’t be satisfied about anything. We are talking about Amtrak here, not Hilton or the Ritz-Carlton. They are giving you your own table to yourself to eat your meal at your own pace, a comfy chair to enjoy the scenery, a small theatre downstairs, and an attendant who will bring a drink to your seat in the PPC. How is all of this unsatisfactory?
Just to add to all of this, I've always received much more personal service while in the PPC ("Are ready for another beer Chris?"). A single attendant is responsible for all the food and beverage service in the PPC and every one that I've had was hard working while maintaining a great attitude and being very friendly. Debbie has been the best so far but all of them have been far better than the best I've ever had in the dining car of any train. :)

You make a strong case Guest Rider. Thanks for your input. Maybe fighting with AGR is worth a little more effort or maybe I can just suck it up and accept 20 hours of coach on a roomette award. :eek:hboy:

Edited to add... But so does George B! Dang, I'm having a hell of a time. Better book something before I end up in coach the whole way! :eek:
Just flip a coin and go with the result. You will have a great trip either way. These are the kinds of decisions we all want to have to make, right?

I'm not sure what you mean about roomette/coach business - if you have to downgrade to coach you will get back a lot of the points - I did two consecutive coach overnights on my recent trip (LSL and SCW to ABQ) and it was fine - I admit that entering my roomette at ABQ was a treat though! (I'm 62)
I don't think you'll get any points back if part of your trip is only available in coach at the time of booking. In those cases Amtrak is going to charge you a roomette points rate for a mixed booking.

***UPDATE***

I decided to change my dates in order to secure the TE > CZ > CS routing. At first I was told that particular routing did not exist. After some assurance that it did in fact exist the agent eventually "found" it. I was calm and professional and mentioned that I wanted EMY as my transfer point thanks to it being a guaranteed connection. The agent I was speaking with said nothing about the routing can be changed from whatever the reservation system spits out. However, she was willing to bring someone else on the line unlike the last girl. It took several minutes but eventually another person was brought on the line and immediately told me that EMY was in no way a guaranteed connection and that it could not be changed for AGR tickets regardless. I explained that I did not agree but at that point there didn't appear to be much more I could do to get them to change their mind and the revenue website had already warned me that there was "Only One Room Left!" on my itinerary, so I went ahead and took it as-is. I'm assuming I can call back and try again but each time I call it takes 10-15 minutes to get to a human and some calls just seem to go nowhere at all. I decided to pick Seattle as my first stop to get the last bit of PPC goodness out of the CS line before getting off. At this point I might head back to Portland after spending the first night in Seattle. Or I might head up to Vancouver. Or maybe both. Also pondering a ride on the Canadian. No chance of a refund once I make the reservation, but they still allow a date change for a $100 fee if I'm understanding their T&C's correctly. Normally I'd probably decline at the $2,300 level, but their summertime 50% off sale ain't half bad. Who knows how long the Canadian will still be around anyway. It might not even outlive the PPC for all we know. :(

It took several minutes but eventually another person was brought on the line and immediately told me that EMY was in no way a guaranteed connection and that it could not be changed for AGR tickets regardless. I explained that I did not agree but at that point there didn't appear to be much more I could do to get them to change their mind and the revenue website had already warned me that there was "Only One Room Left!" on my itinerary, so I went ahead and took it as-is.
Smart choice! :) Even while you were debating someone else could have potentially grabbed that last room and you'd be back looking at a different routing or date.

I'm assuming I can call back and try again but each time I call it takes 10-15 minutes to get to a human and some calls just seem to go nowhere at all.
While it's obviously up to you as it's your reservation and your points, let me tell you something about how ARROW works that may persuade you to live with what you've got.

In order for an agent to change the destination city on the Zephyr, they have to go into RailRes (their front end for ARROW) and release the room you currently have assuming that there are no other rooms left on the CZ. Once they release the room it goes back into inventory. That means that anyone who just happens along could grab that room out from under you if the agent isn't fast enough in making the request for a room from Chicago to Emeryville.

Now the odds are in your favor that they can get back to the request screen fast enough to recapture that room before someone else does. But still, there is an element of risk even if it is slight.

If you really don't want to hang around SAC, consider buying a ticket on either the Zephyr to EMY or on one of the Capitol Corridor trains down to EMY. Then buy a room or just a coach seat on the CS back to SAC. If your lucky you may be able to sweet talk your way into your room early, but worst case scenario you still have your room out of SAC and you'll have earned a few AGR points to help replace those you spent on the trip.

I decided to pick Seattle as my first stop to get the last bit of PPC goodness out of the CS line before getting off. At this point I might head back to Portland after spending the first night in Seattle. Or I might head up to Vancouver. Or maybe both.
Any of those cities is a fine place to spend time!

Also pondering a ride on the Canadian. No chance of a refund once I make the reservation, but they still allow a date change for a $100 fee if I'm understanding their T&C's correctly. Normally I'd probably decline at the $2,300 level, but their summertime 50% off sale ain't half bad. Who knows how long the Canadian will still be around anyway. It might not even outlive the PPC for all we know. :(
You understand things correctly here. Note: That change fee doesn't guarantee you that rebooking your trip for some other time gets you the 50% off. You'll be charged whatever the going rate is at that time, with your credit applied to that new charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back