Planning a circle the US trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnrkitect

Train Attendant
Greetings to all! Just found this board and am glad to find such a wonderful resource!

This winter, my wife and I are attending my sister-in-law's commencement ceremony for her master's degree at the University of Idaho. We both like trains, and my wife likes the idea of taking one there and back. It will be her first train trip ever, and my second (my first was a City of New Orleans Jackson, MS to Chicago then Empire Builder to St. Paul and return back in 2006) We are planning on getting a roomette for all portions of the trip, and making an experience of it. We have two weeks plus the weekends at each end to travel, and have a tentative itinerary laid out as follows:

Sat, Dec 4th: Board the Crescent in Birmingham, AL at 2:41 pm headed to Washington DC.

Sun, Dec 5th: Due to arrive in DC Sunday morning at 10:10 am

do some sightseeing until time to check in that afternoon.

Board the Capitol Limited at 4:05 pm headed to Chicago.

Mon, Dec 6th: Due to arrive in Chicago Monday morning at 8:45 am

Board the Empire Builder at 2:15 pm headed to Spokane, WA

Tues, Dec 7th: full day of travel. :)

Wed, Dec 8th: Arrive in Spokane, WA at 1:30 am, met by Sister-in-law who drives us back to Moscow, ID

Stay for graduation ceremonies on Saturday.

Sun, Dec 12th: Board the Empire Builder in Spokane, WA at 2:15 am bound for Seattle, WA. (we are considering having this segment be coach instead of roomette due to the length of trip)

Due to arrive in Seattle at 10:25 am

Sight see and get a hotel for the night

Mon, Dec 13th: Board the Coast Starlight at 9:45 am bound for Los Angeles

Tue, Dec 14th: Due to arrive in Los Angeles at 9:00 pm

Get a hotel

Wed, Dec 15th: Board the Sunset Limited at 2:40 pm bound for New Orleans

Thu, Dec 16th: Full day of travel

Fri, Dec 17th: Due to arrive in New Orleans at 2:55 pm

Get hotel, do some sightseeing in the Quarter

Sat, Dec 18th: Board the Crescent at 7:05 am bound for Birmingham, AL (considering making this a coach leg as well due to length)

Due to arrive in Birmingham, AL at 2:32 pm.

Being newbies to all this comments, tips and suggestions are most welcome!

First thing I'd do is thank your sister-in-law for pursuing her master's degree at the U of I, giving you good excuse to take a train trip of this magnitude! :lol: As far as tips, always expect the unexpected. Weatherwise shouldn't be much of a problem, though anything can happen. The worst of the winter weather on your route doesn't usually occur until about mid-December or later but that could change at a moment's notice.

It looks like you have your itinerary set down pretty well. Traveling at that time of year you should get pretty good hotel rates. Best advice I have: When in Seattle, if your hotel is near Pike Place Market and you have time for breakfast before boarding the train, try Lowell's, in Pike Place Market. They make a dungeness crab omelette to die for!!!! :lol:

Oh, and one other thing: Tell your sister-in-law, on her travels to and from Spokane, to SLOW DOWN while traveling through the town of Colfax, WA. I live in Colfax and even at the time you'll be going through, the cops have a very well-earned reputation for nabbing anyone that even looks like they're speeding. Even at the dead hours of the morning. In fact that's better advice than the omelette: SLOW DOWN IN COLFAX!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AU! A wonderful trip for a worthy accomplishment! You probably know about booking as far ahead as possible, you get lower fares (called low bucket),better choices of rooms (upstairs is better on a Superliner (The CL/EB/CS/Sunset). Also there are plenty of hotel deals since you are going the week before Christmas week! Please feel free to ask any questions you have, lots of experience on this forum, also join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards) and read the various sections on this forum to learn more about train travel and the routes yall are traveling and the cities you are visiting!

Welcome!
hi.gif

You didn't say of you're going coach or sleeper on the Crescent, Capitol Limited or Empire Builder. But If you are arriving OR departing Washington and/or Chicago by sleeper, you are entitled to use the Club Acela (in Washington) and the Metropolitan Lounge (in Chicago)! these are the first class waiting areas, with free snacks and soda, and where they board the trains first. They also have comfortable seating areas. And a place to store your luggage! (In Chicago, this luggage storage is manned by a Red Cap, but in Washington is is not.)

Also, you said "...until you check in ..." Unlike an airline, there really is no check in. But as I said, they start boarding from the lounges before the other passengers.

On the Coast Starlight, if you have a sleeper, make use of the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)! The PPC is an old fashioned lounge car (like from the 50's), and is ONLY found on the Starlight! Also be sure to be in there (unless your room happens to be on the right - or ocean - side) in southern California on the 2nd afternoon! The train runs right along the Pacific Ocean coastline, and if you're lucky, you'll see a beautiful sunset on the ocean! (I did!
biggrin.gif
)

As for the overnight in LA, you may want to consider the Metro Plaza. It is not the Ritz, but for (IIRC) $89, it's worth it! And it's an easy 2 block (5 minute) walk from Union Station! (You can see it from the door!)

Most important, have fun!
cool.gif

Also, you said "...until you check in ..." Unlike an airline, there really is no check in. But as I said, they start boarding from the lounges before the other passengers.
Some stations like LAX, CHI, WAS, and NYP have what I call "Kindergarten Boarding". Whether you are in a lounge or a coach passenger, you should check in at the counter and they will direct you to the waiting area and you will be called to line up single file and play "follow the leader" to the train. Most other stations, if you have your ticket in hand, just wait on the platform, if possible, or at the gate. There should be some general signage or verbal instructions where to go from there (ie: Sleeping car passengers to the right, coach to the left)...

Remember that anything that can go wrong will likely go wrong. If you plan for the worst an expect the best your journey should fall somewhere within your expectations, and you will enjoy your trackabout.

Hi,

That sounds a great trip, and the awkward train times in Spokane overcome by being met there. My advice is to do a "dummy booking" on Amtrak.com, and see how prices work out, then book as soon as you can, to get those prices. I have found that availability of roomettes varies greatly day by day, and so do prices. It might be worth spending two nights in one place in a hotel, in order to obtain a cheaper price roomette on a section, if you follow me.

You might consider a rail pass also, this covers your basic coach fares, you just have to pay for roomette upgrades. There are restrictions on the number of trains, and number of days each pass is valid, so do check that out first. As you probably know, the Sunset Limited only runs on certain days, your current plan fits that very well!

Good Luck,

Eddie. :cool:

As for the overnight in LA, you may want to consider the Metro Plaza. It is not the Ritz, but for (IIRC) $89, it's worth it! And it's an easy 2 block (5 minute) walk from Union Station! (You can see it from the door!)
On the suggestion of someone else here, I was able to use Priceline for a hotel in the downtown area and get a room at the Westin for $75 for the overnight in LA. Use the $10 you save to pay for a cab to the hotel and you'll have a much nicer room for the same price.

Sounds like a great trip! I did much the same for my honeymoon a few months ago and had a great time.

Greetings to all! Just found this board and am glad to find such a wonderful resource!

This winter, my wife and I are attending my sister-in-law's commencement ceremony for her master's degree at the University of Idaho. We both like trains, and my wife likes the idea of taking one there and back. It will be her first train trip ever, and my second (my first was a City of New Orleans Jackson, MS to Chicago then Empire Builder to St. Paul and return back in 2006) We are planning on getting a roomette for all portions of the trip, and making an experience of it. We have two weeks plus the weekends at each end to travel, and have a tentative itinerary laid out as follows:

Sat, Dec 4th: Board the Crescent in Birmingham, AL at 2:41 pm headed to Washington DC.

Sun, Dec 5th: Due to arrive in DC Sunday morning at 10:10 am

Mon, Dec 6th: Due to arrive in Chicago Monday morning at 8:45 am

Board the Empire Builder at 2:15 pm headed to Spokane, WA

Tues, Dec 7th: full day of travel. :)

Wed, Dec 8th: Arrive in Spokane, WA at 1:30 am, met by Sister-in-law who drives us back to Moscow, ID

Stay for graduation ceremonies on Saturday.

Sun, Dec 12th: Board the Empire Builder in Spokane, WA at 2:15 am bound for Seattle, WA. (we are considering having this segment be coach instead of roomette due to the length of trip)

Due to arrive in Seattle at 10:25 am

Sight see and get a hotel for the night

Mon, Dec 13th: Board the Coast Starlight at 9:45 am bound for Los Angeles

Tue, Dec 14th: Due to arrive in Los Angeles at 9:00 pm

Get a hotel

Wed, Dec 15th: Board the Sunset Limited at 2:40 pm bound for New Orleans

Thu, Dec 16th: Full day of travel

Fri, Dec 17th: Due to arrive in New Orleans at 2:55 pm

Get hotel, do some sightseeing in the Quarter

Sat, Dec 18th: Board the Crescent at 7:05 am bound for Birmingham, AL (considering making this a coach leg as well due to length)

Due to arrive in Birmingham, AL at 2:32 pm.

Being newbies to all this comments, tips and suggestions are most welcome!
I think you'd save a lot of money by getting USA Rail passes for the coach portions of the trip.

Thanks for all the replies!

I am considering a 15 day railpass, which is good for 8 segments. It would just barely work, as the above trip is 15 days, and is 7 segments. I think it would save me just under $500, If I am calculating everything right (not certain I am though).

The only segments that we are not planning on a roomette are Spokane - Seattle & New Orleans - Birmingham, since those are not that long really, and a coach seat will be perfectly adequate.

For a good estimation of cost with a rail pass, I add up the upcharges for the roomette for all the legs applicable, and add them to the cost for the two rail passes, correct?

As far as Amtrak Guest Rewards, am I correct that the points I earn will not be applicable towards this particular trip?

Thanks again for all of the input!

Thanks for all the replies!

I am considering a 15 day railpass, which is good for 8 segments. It would just barely work, as the above trip is 15 days, and is 7 segments. I think it would save me just under $500, If I am calculating everything right (not certain I am though).

The only segments that we are not planning on a roomette are Spokane - Seattle & New Orleans - Birmingham, since those are not that long really, and a coach seat will be perfectly adequate.

For a good estimation of cost with a rail pass, I add up the upcharges for the roomette for all the legs applicable, and add them to the cost for the two rail passes, correct?

As far as Amtrak Guest Rewards, am I correct that the points I earn will not be applicable towards this particular trip?

Thanks again for all of the input!
You will receive two points per $ on the rail pass (rail points) if your AGR number is included on the Pass/reservation. Any upgrades (business class/sleepers) will also get you 2 points per $ spent but only on one persons account (the top name on a sleeper for instance,if you each have an account the rail pass and any upgrade to business class will get each of you AGR points.)

If you are a registered member any trips within 21 days of joining will get you the 1,500 points plus any ugrades. Also consider on the NOL-BHM leg of the Crescent that this is probably the best deal in Amtrak, a roomette gets you two meals (breakfast/lunch)for two persons, a roomette for like $40 for two, a heck of a deal! ;)

Hi

Sadly, being from the UK, I can't collect those popular points!

You are right about the costs, just add the total sleeper prices to the railpass costs for an all in price.. Just nit picking, but the only possible extra is that if the train is busy, your railpass might not be valid for coach seats sections, unless you pay a supplement. How it works is that your pass gives you a lowest bucket price coach seat. If all the low bucket seats are sold out, at the time you try to reserve, you would have to pay the difference between the low bucket priced seat and the price your seat would be on the open market, at the time of your reservation. In your case, you are only going short distances by coach, so a supplement would be negligable, in any case. You don't pay any extra supplements when you reserve a sleeper.

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Well, as an update, due to circumstances beyond our control we had to postpone this trip. :(

Note however, that I said postpone. :cool: We have purchased our railpass, and booked roomettes for the last week of June, first week of July. :D

There are a few differences in the itinerary as well.

Rather than catch the EB at OMG-early in the morning heading westbound, we arranged to spend the last portion of our visit with my sister-in-law in Glacier Park, and will be boarding in East Glacier the evening prior.

In order to maximize our time visiting, we are also not taking the EB to Seattle, where we would have an overnight layover. Instead, we are taking the EB to Portland, and catching the CS there the same day.

We have arranged for lodging at all of our layovers, with reservations for a cabin in East Glacier, a hotel in LA, and a Bed & Breakfast in New Orleans.

Can't wait!

What a wonderful itinerary .... have a great time!

Latest Itinerary change, due to the flooding in North Dakota :( causing the cancellation of the EB. :help: Vito in customer service did an excellent job of rerouting us and being patient with us as we negotiated the changed visit with my sister-in-law on the other cell phone. :rolleyes:

Sat, June 25th: Board the Crescent in Birmingham, AL at 2:24 pm headed to Washington DC.

Sun, June 26th: Due to arrive in DC Sunday morning at 10:10 am

Mon, June 27th: Due to arrive in Chicago Monday morning at 8:45 am

Board the Empire Builder at 2:15 pm headed to Spokane, WA California Zephyr headed to Sacramento, CA

Tues, June 28th: full day of travel. :)

Wed, June 29th: Arrive in Spokane, WA at 1:30 am, Arrive in Sacramento, CA have a approx 10 hour layover in Sacramento, then catch the Coast Starlight north to Portland, OR

Thur, June 30th: met by Sister-in-law and boyfriend, who show us around Portland, then head to the coast, and end up in Seattle, WA. Sightseeing galore! :D

Mon, July 4th: Board the Coast Starlight at 9:45 am bound for Los Angeles

Tue, July 5nd: Due to arrive in Los Angeles at 9:00 pm

Staying at the Metro Plaza Hotel

Wed, July 6th: Board the Sunset Limited at 2:40 pm bound for New Orleans

Thu, July 7th: Full day of travel :)

Fri, July 8th: Due to arrive in New Orleans at 2:55 pm

Staying at the Fairchild House B&B in the Lower Garden District, do some sightseeing in the Quarter

Sat, July 9th: Board the Crescent at 7:00 am bound for Birmingham, AL

Due to arrive in Birmingham, AL at 2:15 pm.

If the Zephyr gets into Sacramento before 3 or 4 PM and you don't have too many bags to carry, definitely consider heading over to the California State Railroad Museum. It's probably one of the three best Railroad Museums in the US, and is well worth a visit since you're in town (it's also about a 5 minute walk from the train station). It's located in Old Sacramento which has tons of restaurants and shops as well--a great place for a layover!

Rafi

If the Zephyr gets into Sacramento before 3 or 4 PM and you don't have too many bags to carry, definitely consider heading over to the California State Railroad Museum. It's probably one of the three best Railroad Museums in the US, and is well worth a visit since you're in town (it's also about a 5 minute walk from the train station). It's located in Old Sacramento which has tons of restaurants and shops as well--a great place for a layover!

Rafi
Thanks! We are hoping we get to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back