Pizza Delivery to Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for a better station to try this you could use SAS on the LA to Chicago TE. The scheduled stop is 8 1/2 hours. Plenty of time to go out to eat all the pizza you want.
Last time I rode the Texas Eagle, at least one enterprising guy hawked hot pizza on the San Antonio platform.

And don't forget the Burrito Lady who greets the westbound Sunset Limited at ELP. She gets swamped with pax and crew and often sells out before she can get everyone served.
She wasn't there on the day my TE train stopped in ELP last fall. Many of us were disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, people, I just have to post this for this thread:

Add a star if you're a Sean Penn or Jennifer Jason Leigh fan.

And don't forget the Burrito Lady who greets the westbound Sunset Limited at ELP. She gets swamped with pax and crew and often sells out before she can get everyone served.
Tell me about it. I love those burritos. And I'll love Aramark meals the day they can bring themselves up to the culinary sophistication of a sidewalk hawker.

Last time I rode the Texas Eagle, at least one enterprising guy hawked hot pizza on the San Antonio platform.
Considering that San Antonio is the end of the line for most Eagle passengers I'm not sure why they'd be in need of at-track food service. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

anyone had chinese delived to a train
I haven't. Then again, thousands of Chinese laborers were worked to the bone to help deliver the rail network we take for granted today.

Considering that San Antonio is the end of the line for most Eagle passengers I'm not sure why they'd be in need of at-track food service. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?
Because Texas Eagle also carries Sunset Limited passengers who have to wait several hours in San Antonio before they can be latched up on westbound Sunset or transfer to eastbound Sunset? Plenty opportunity to serve a midnight meal to bored passengers.

anyone had chinese delived to a train
I haven't. Then again, thousands of Chinese laborers were worked to the bone to help deliver the rail network we take for granted today.
Many times the Vermonter crew gets Chinese delivered to the train in Randolph, VT. The usually call in the order around White River Jct and the restaurant runs it over to the train station. Never seen a passenger order food to the train, though.

When I rode the Eagle to L.A. last fall, one coach and one sleeper overnighted in San Antonio to await the Sunset Limited the next morning. The pizza guy arrived after San Antonio-destination passengers had cleared the area. Both the sleeper and coach were sold out, and there were a number of people waiting inside the station. My guess is that they had been unable to book a CHI-LAX trip on the Eagle and had to leave the SAS coach and wait for the Sunset Limited. So there were plenty of customers.

I walked over to the Alamo and when I returned about an hour later, there were still lots of folks standing around. I had thought that the hours spent for the layover would be boring, but I found it quite enjoyable. After chatting with other passengers, I took a shower and got a good night's sleep. I awoke when our cars were being switched.

Pizza Delivery Update:DECLINED! EVEN OFFERED $20 TIP!!!

Tried to do delivery to train 91 in Richmond VA on Sunday. Guy who answered phone wouldn't do it he wanted a physical residential address. He said only way he could do it was if I was a station employee working at a fixed location in the station........Have no fear, Meat Puppet is here... and he will get his pizza delivered to his train with full video documentation.

Pizza Delivery Update:DECLINED! EVEN OFFERED $20 TIP!!!

Tried to do delivery to train 91 in Richmond VA on Sunday. Guy who answered phone wouldn't do it he wanted a physical residential address. He said only way he could do it was if I was a station employee working at a fixed location in the station........Have no fear, Meat Puppet is here... and he will get his pizza delivered to his train with full video documentation.
I think you would need to prepay at a place for them to take you seriously. I would approach it as calling ahead of time ( a few weeks before). Probably not a chain but a private place would be better. Order for a certain day, get a price, and send them a money order (with a good tip) ahead of time. Promise them an additional tip on delivery. Tell them on the phone and with the payment that you will call an hour before delivery time to confirm the order. I would expect that you would end up paying $50 at least for a pizza.

Another approach would be to find a member here willing to deliver a pizza to a train. Any takers for Lancaster, PA?

Some chain Pizza places allow ordering and payment by credit card on line or by phone...you should be able to do that with one that is reasonably close to a selected station stop just prior to arrival time.....just be sure they realize they must be waiting on the platform when the train arrives....maybe tell them what color shirt you are wearing or something... :p

Some chain Pizza places allow ordering and payment by credit card on line or by phone...you should be able to do that with one that is reasonably close to a selected station stop just prior to arrival time.....just be sure they realize they must be waiting on the platform when the train arrives....maybe tell them what color shirt you are wearing or something... :p

I have thought about the credit card. First, online how do you effectively describe where you want it delivered. Second, they may not take the order seriously and by talking to somebody ahead of time you can specifically goo over what you want them to do. They also maybe worried about you trying to cancel the charge if it doesn't get delivered. By paying them ahead of time, you are guerenteeing the payment even if something goes wrong. I think it is all in how much you are willing to pay. I am not sure a pizza shop will deliver free will all the stipulations.

Pizza Delivery Update:DECLINED! EVEN OFFERED $20 TIP!!! Tried to do delivery to train 91 in Richmond VA on Sunday. Guy who answered phone wouldn't do it he wanted a physical residential address. He said only way he could do it was if I was a station employee working at a fixed location in the station........Have no fear, Meat Puppet is here... and he will get his pizza delivered to his train with full video documentation.
Would you take a measly $20 in exchange for a chance to become the next Brian Douglas Wells?

My advice is to talk to the crew. If it's possible to have food delivered to the train they will already know where and how to make it happen. If they're feeling friendly they might share this information with you.

There is a pizza shop at the St. joseph, MI station. They will take pickup orders, the problem is getting into the store and back to the train before it continues on. So far I have been able to get in and out in time, its been close a couple of times though!

Speaking as a former delivery girl:

Most pizza places won't deliver to a train because it isn't a physical address. It's a safety thing, and it doesn't matter how much you tip. We always had calls from people asking to meet us on corners and near pay phones, and they were refused every single time.

There's also the issue of the train being early/late. A driver isn't going to want to wait around, even for a $20 tip, and if they get there after the train leaves, there goes their tip. Talk about a waste of a delivery. Additionally, paying by credit card still requires you to sign a slip (in most cases); they can't process the payment if they miss you.

There are probably other orders in the driver's car waiting to be delivered (we very rarely left the store with only one order). This further exacerbates any issues with timing. If I got to someone's house and they weren't home, I rang the bell twice, waited until a count of twenty, and then left (and man, was that annoying because it was a waste of gas and I lost a tip).

I'm not saying it can't be done; I'm just giving some reasons WHY it might be impossible.

Trains magazine in the June 2012 issue has a story about food delivery to a train.

Prime rib pickup on the platform at Galesburg, IL. Story give the name, the web site, and the telephone number so you can try it.

I am sure this will end very fast, by Amtrak or the restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back