PIZZA DELIVERY TO SPOKANE STATION DURING LAYOVER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't do much for westbound EB's, but it should work for eastbounds as long as the EB's "temporary" schedule stays in place. Calling from #8 might be a bit of a problem, as cell service is spotty at best from the great majority of the distance between Ephrata and Spokane. From #28, however, cell service is pretty good to excellent almost all the way to Spokane from Pasco as the train runs alongside US 395 and/or I-90 for most of that distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is money to be made by following the Indian style... Get someone to walk through the train in advance, taking orders, and the orders then are sent ahead from a convenient station, and brought to the train down the line by the vendors. In India they have many trains with on board franchises for food cooked aboard, the slower trains tend to use the telegraph ahead system. It is an official system there, and runs alongside the many unofficial food and drink vendors working the trains.

No doubt someone will now point out the rules and regulations which forbid anyone trying to sell anything unofficial aboard Amtrak trains...

Ed :cool:

I'd be happy just to see the El Paso burrito lady allowed to come back. I do not doubt she probably broke a dozen laws just by showing up on the platform, but I found her food very tasty and safe all the same. Meanwhile the absolutely disgusting heavily cross contaminated food preparation area at my local chain gas station has never once been under threat of being closed.

The problem with applying the Indian system in the US is that in India the trains run on time. Here... they don't, so your food might be cold by the time you reached the station after sitting in a siding for hours.

Reminds me of this sketch from _Goodness Gracious Me_:

Honestly, the entire setup of that show would be funnier applied to the US, but I'm not sure enough Americans can take a joke...

There is money to be made by following the Indian style... Get someone to walk through the train in advance, taking orders, and the orders then are sent ahead from a convenient station, and brought to the train down the line by the vendors.
That's more or less how the "Havre chicken dinners" are sold on the Empire Builder. The cafe attendant takes your order and your money a couple of hours

prior to Havre, then you come to the cafe car and pick up your food after departing Havre. Worked pretty well the two times I partook of this, even when

the train was several hours late.

I wonder what has happened to the Havre Chicken diners now that the EB's are sooooo late. On my last trip westbound on the Empire Builder no mention of these diners was made at all (since we arrived in Havre very late in the evening anyway). Those folks had quite a "franchise" going there for years until the Empire Builders started having the massive delays. Oh, well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back