Pittsburgh to Altoona on Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Traveler

Service Attendant
This past weekend, we took our three-year-old granddaughter on her first train trip. We left Pittsburgh Saturday morning at about 7:30 AM and got to Altoona about 10 AM. She was surprised not to see seat belts, but she definitely enjoyed the freedom of not having to wear one. She didn't have a real reference for the time of the trip going out and was a little antsy about the length of the trip, but she really had a great time. She liked looking out the windows, particularly more the towns and cities rather than the lovely countryside. She entertained herself by looking out the windows, taking photos with my little Canon, and playing games on the Nook.

I had brought snacks, which worked out well. The cafe car attendant had missed the train, so after about an hour, they offfered free snacks and water to anyone who wanted to come and get them. it wasn't much, but we appreciated it. They were hoping to have an attendant get on the train in Harrisburg.

The reason we chose this trip for her was that we had never been on the Horseshoe Curve and it seemed like a good length for her first trip. We were originally going to return the same day, but decided to stay overnight.

Saturday after we got off the train, we picked up the car, had lunch, and then drove to the Curve just to get an idea of the drive. After a nap, we went out to Delgrosso's Amusement Park with her, and she had a ball! It was very clean and well maintained and had great food. It had been suggested that we go to Texas Hot Dogs, but we couldn't work that in. After we had eaten at Delgrosso's, on the way out we saw that they have a little place right there. I wish we had seen it when we went in, but the food in the park was really great, so we were fine with that.

Sunday we were at the Curve when it opened at 11 AM and took the funicular up to get a better view of the Curve and trains going by. This was a different prespective than coming in on the train the day before. We bought the double ticket so that we could then go back into Altoona and go to the Railroaders Museum. It's a really nice museum, but she was mostly interested in the Thomas the Train play area, which was fine with us. It was her trip, after all.

The train returning to Pittsburgh was on time, about 5 PM, after leaving from Philly more than a hour late, one woman told us. We had eaten an early dinner, but we did get drinks from the cafe car and had snacks with us. She entertained herself (and a lot of other people on the train) pretty much the same way as going out. She's a real talker. We got into Pittsburgh a half hour early, about 7:30, which several of the regular riders said was unusual.

Other than no cafe car attendant, things on the train going out had gone smoothly. On the return trip, the bathrooms were in terrible shape. My granddaughter wanted to go, and we even went into another car, but they were no better. I was a little nervous about her having to wait until we got to the station in Pittsburgh, but she was okay.

I had considered getting the reserved seating in business class, but decided against it. It didn't matter so much going out as the trip originates in Pittsburgh, but getting seats together on the return trip was not so easy. A man gave up his seat so that I could sit with my granddaughter and my husband sat behind us. If I had thought about it a little more, I would have done the business class returning. Live and learn. We usually do long-distance trains in a sleeper car, so we're not quite so familiar with coach. Our attendants both ways were good.

The Pennsylvanian is a nice route, with nice scenery. The tracks seemed mostly in really good condition, making for a nice ride. I'm so glad the state has managed to come up with the money to keep it running.

This was a great trip to introduce our granddaughter to riding on trains. This must be a popular trip with kids. We noticed a good many kids on the train and many of them also got off in Altoona. It was the same on the return trip. Basically, our granddaughter loved it and wants to do it again! And we will be more than happy to do so.

:)

Thank you for the trip report. Good to hear how the young one enjoyed and adapted easily.

Myself - want to see the Horseshoe Curve sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back