Pittsburgh Amtrak Station past, present and future

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been awhile, so I wonder if the Greyhound station steps away across Liberty Avenue offers any sort of food or drink service?

Failing that, would vending machine service be viable at either Amtrak or Greyhound so as to provide overnight food and drink availability?
Greyhound has been closing and moving from most of its station’s, and may itself not be in existence much longer…

When I travel from Columbus to take the Pennsylvanian in the early morning, I park in the Greyhound's parking garage. It's very convenient, but from what I've seen inside the actual Greyhound area, it has been somewhat shady and I did feel unsafe. Although, when I pay for parking there, there is always a security staff person in there.

I didn't see any food options in the actual Greyhound waiting area from what I saw. I would stick the options above.

A lot of people are freaked out by dark empty cities. I blame Hollywood, which gives a false picture of urban dangers. Actually 5 AM is pretty safe as all the crooks have gone to bed and aren't out on the street. Nobody else is on the streets either, so there's really nobody to mug. And on the other side, when the Pennsylvanian comes in at 7-ish PM, even though it might be dark during a lot of the year, it's at a time when lots of people are out and about. OK, maybe not by midnight when 29 comes in, but there's enough time to walk over the the Strip District to get a dinner and then come back to the station before it gets too late. Plus there's always Uber/Lyft, taxis and such.

I took a trip that involved an overnight in Pittsburgh and stayed at a hotel about 2 blocks from the station. I arrived on the bustituted Pennsylvanian at about 7, and after I checked in, I walked over to Primati's to get some dnner. OPart of the walk was in the dark, but I didn't feel too uncomfortable. In the morning I had to catch 30, so there I was at 4:30/5 AM hauling my rollerbag down the street. It was really no problem. I hung out in the station until 30 came in, and then I got breakfast in the cafe car, which was open.

It might be nice to have a snack stand in the station, but then, given the size of the crowd I saw, I don't think there would be enough business for one. I don't think there's even enough traffic for a food truck to hang out in the evening when the Pennsylvanian comes in. The crowds aren't that big, and most of the people aren't really interested in getting something to eat. Maybe if they start running more trains out of the place all through the day, there might be enough foot traffic in the station to justify such a business.

Thanks, it’s good to hear your perspective on the muggers being asleep at 6 am.

Greyhound has been closing and moving from most of its station’s, and may itself not be in existence much longer…

The reason they're been closing stations is because Greyhound sold off all their real estate holdings. I believe the Pittsburgh Greyhound facility is owned by the City, so hopefully they will not be moving out.

The reason they're been closing stations is because Greyhound sold off all their real estate holdings. I believe the Pittsburgh Greyhound facility is owned by the City, so hopefully they will not be moving out.
I didn’t know the City owned it. Any idea of when that came about?🤔

Last fall in the night wait for the Pennsylvanian to CL westbound, I walked up to Primanti Bros. Restaurant which I learned about here. I used Liberty Ave. and well it seemed spooky absolutely no one around, many dark shadows, SA certainly went up a notch. What bothers me are enclosed walkways like under tracks or roads, autos speeding by a few feet away from the sidewalk and few feet on the other side non-lighted indentations in the walls for service doors or whatever that you can't see into until you get to them. The way back I used Smallman St. and it seemed better lit up and a few people around, less sketchy. There was an Amtrak Policeman around the station that night. Pedestrian sidewalks to the the station seemed limited when trying to go north/east. (I may not be aware of a better way to walk that everyone else does?).
According to Google, Primanti's would be an option if westbound, Pennsylvanian to Capitol Ltd. But not eastbound Cap to Pennsy. They used to be open all night, but now close at 10pm on weeknights and 2am on weekends.

From Amtrak (closest crosswalk 1th St.) to Primanti's (18th St.), there are three walking options: Liberty Ave., Penn Ave., or Smallman St. Liberty would be my least favored; Smallman or Penn are better. Or maybe Uber?

There are no "villages" for the unhoused on any of these streets, tho there could be the rare person sitting in a doorway of a closed residential or commercial address. Most of the unhoused people I've ever met were not dangerous nor of the criminal element, the latter of which can be found anywhere and probably do have a permanent address.

According to Wikipedia, in 2003. The bus station is on the ground floor of a large parking garage owned by the municipal Parking Authority.
Ahh, thanks, that helps...around 2008 it says. I recall this 1959-opened version on the same site, owned by The Greyhound Corporation, back then. It also had a parking garage above it, although smaller. It had a full service Post House Restaurant, a snack bar, a cocktail lounge, a newsstand, barber shop, gift shop, etc. Greyhound ran a huge amount of trips to all points back then, around the clock.

https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/GB10_PC3-FrankW_bb-1024x695.jpg

According to Google, Primanti's would be an option if westbound, Pennsylvanian to Capitol Ltd. But not eastbound Cap to Pennsy. They used to be open all night, but now close at 10pm on weeknights and 2am on weekends.

From Amtrak (closest crosswalk 1th St.) to Primanti's (18th St.), there are three walking options: Liberty Ave., Penn Ave., or Smallman St. Liberty would be my least favored; Smallman or Penn are better. Or maybe Uber?

There are no "villages" for the unhoused on any of these streets, tho there could be the rare person sitting in a doorway of a closed residential or commercial address. Most of the unhoused people I've ever met were not dangerous nor of the criminal element, the latter of which can be found anywhere and probably do have a permanent address.
Did you mean 11th St.? IIRC, you can walk to the end of the parking lot where there is a walking path to the intersection.

Take it from a Yinzer: you're correct, Smallman or Penn are better, I'd favor Penn for its variety of storefronts, I absolutely do not recommend Liberty which in that area (as distinct from downtown) has few businesses, little foot traffic, and little separation from traffic whooshing seemingly inches away. It's an artery, not a street.

And Joel is correct, you mean 11th St.

Pennsylvanian arrives at 8:05 p.m. (and is often early), affording three and a half hours free before transferring to the Cap. I'm a small female and I wouldn't make that walk to Primanti's in winter, especially solo. Summer? No problem.

Take it from a Yinzer: you're correct, Smallman or Penn are better, I'd favor Penn for its variety of storefronts, I absolutely do not recommend Liberty which in that area (as distinct from downtown) has few businesses, little foot traffic, and little separation from traffic whooshing seemingly inches away. It's an artery, not a street.

Pennsylvanian arrives at 8:05 p.m. (and is often early), affording three and a half hours free before transferring to the Cap. I'm a small female and I wouldn't make that walk to Primanti's in winter, especially solo. Summer? No problem.
Is there a way out of the Amtrak station to get onto Penn? I looked at Google maps for walking directions (morning layover, headed east) to the Westin or Einstein’s, and they put me right on Liberty which is actually a creepy enclosed underpass— ugh. According to the photos there seems to be a non pedestrian ramp on the other side.

Yes, 11th. No such thing as 1th. LOL

Is there a way out of the Amtrak station to get onto Penn? I looked at Google maps for walking directions (morning layover, headed east) to the Westin or Einstein’s, and they put me right on Liberty which is actually a creepy enclosed underpass— ugh. According to the photos there seems to be a non pedestrian ramp on the other side.
Ah, Google. Fast, efficient, and dumb. It's apparently directing you to turn right on Liberty when you exit the station, which might be shorter but is dark and dank and dystopian. For pedestrians anyway. Best route: from the station turn left on Liberty one-half block toward 11th St. and the lights of downtown. Then right on 11th past the somewhat dodgy bus station, then right on Penn. Welcome to Pittsburgh! Someday treat yourself to an extra day (or two) between trains, yinz will like it.

Ah, Google. Fast, efficient, and dumb. It's apparently directing you to turn right on Liberty when you exit the station, which might be shorter but is dark and dank and dystopian. For pedestrians anyway. Best route: from the station turn left on Liberty one-half block toward 11th St. and the lights of downtown. Then right on 11th past the somewhat dodgy bus station, then right on Penn. Welcome to Pittsburgh! Someday treat yourself to an extra day (or two) between trains, yinz will like it.
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think you even need to go out onto Liberty. There's a sidewalk through the parking lot along the building on the left as you exit, and IIRC at the end of that sidewalk, there's a path through a little plaza leading directly to the intersection of Liberty & 11th.

Thank you, Trollopian. This is enormously helpful.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think you even need to go out onto Liberty. There's a sidewalk through the parking lot along the building on the left as you exit, and IIRC at the end of that sidewalk, there's a path through a little plaza leading directly to the intersection of Liberty & 11th.
Awesome! Thanks so much.

I confess to not going through that little plaza after sunset. It's a pretty parklet (Google "11th & Liberty" for a street view), with trees and benches, and, uh, bench occupants. I don't have any particular knowledge of risks but as a smallish female I prefer to remain in full view of passing drivers. Just something to weigh!

I confess to not going through that little plaza after sunset. It's a pretty parklet (Google "11th & Liberty" for a street view), with trees and benches, and, uh, bench occupants. I don't have any particular knowledge of risks but as a smallish female I prefer to remain in full view of passing drivers. Just something to weigh!
I can understand that. I visited in the summer, arriving and departing on the Pennsylvanian. I think I arrived before sunset, and departing I walked to the station from the Drury shortly before sunrise. I don't recall seeing any "occupants", but I wasn't really paying attention.

I can understand that. I visited in the summer, arriving and departing on the Pennsylvanian. I think I arrived before sunset, and departing I walked to the station from the Drury shortly before sunrise. I don't recall seeing any "occupants", but I wasn't really paying attention.
I think now I see on street view kind of an elevated sidewalk well lit leaving the station at rail level right against the Pennsylvanian Apartment building instead of the basement exit to the parking area. Is that exit more pleasant than the parking lot way? It does go a bit further SW than the 11th and Liberty intersection. No park benches I can see, there are bushes. What I don’t know is if there is a door right into the Amtrak station and if it is kept unlocked.

I think now I see on street view kind of an elevated sidewalk well lit leaving the station at rail level right against the Pennsylvanian Apartment building instead of the basement exit to the parking area. Is that exit more pleasant than the parking lot way? It does go a bit further SW than the 11th and Liberty intersection. No park benches I can see, there are bushes. What I don’t know is if there is a door right into the Amtrak station and if it is kept unlocked.
Before my trip, I spotted that on Google, too. I could never get a satisfactory answer as to whether or not there was access from there. Unless someone else knows, I wouldn't count on it, as station staff was pretty strict about access to track level.

This was caused by Greyhound's previous owner (FirstGroup) selling the company to the current owner (Flixbus), but without the real estate holdings which were held by a separate company/subsidiary on paper. Flixbus was (and in many cases still is) paying rent to use the stations that are left. After Greyhound was sold off, FirstGroup sold their Greyhound station real estate holdings to a hedge fund, who are now closing the stations because they're more valuable for development.

I'm sorry to say: No. Though I have an apartment in the Pennsylvanian, there is no direct access between it and the Amtrak station...unlike the heyday of train travel when the now-Pennsylvanian was the station (with Pennsylvania RR offices above).

It's an early example of office-to-residential conversion, an idea much in vogue today, and a pretty successful one. That's largely because buildings of that era didn't have modern HVAC systems and typically had courtyards or air shafts for ventilation and light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Pittsburgh)

Before my trip, I spotted that on Google, too. I could never get a satisfactory answer as to whether or not there was access from there. Unless someone else knows, I wouldn't count on it, as station staff was pretty strict about access to track level.
It’s been many years since I lived in Pittsburgh, but when I did, there was access to the station at track level. You walk to the left of the condo building and there’s a sidewalk that takes you to the upper level of the station. It was a more pleasant walk than along Liberty Avenue.

It’s been many years since I lived in Pittsburgh, but when I did, there was access to the station at track level. You walk to the left of the condo building and there’s a sidewalk that takes you to the upper level of the station. It was a more pleasant walk than along Liberty Avenue.
Oops, now I recognize from your detailed description the entrance you're talking about. And it seems to be open in daytime, locked at other hours, including those hours when the Cap Limited leaves on its westbound and eastbound legs (around midnight and 5 a.m., respectively). I haven't taken the Pennsylvanian for some time and I'm not sure if the same is true at its slightly more civilized hours (8 p.m. arrival and 7:30 a.m. departure...well, I did say "slightly," didn't I?). Apologies.

(And minor clarification: it's a rental, not condo, building.)

Picked up a friend tonight at Pittsburgh "Union Station." Good to see progress on some updates. The usual exit to the platform is closed due to construction, but I haven't a clue what they are doing in this space. Nice too see the platform location signs though I have no idea why they are still covered in plastic. I do not see evidence of any other track and platform infrastructure work which is part of the expansion of Pennsylvanian service, likely in two years.

Attachments

• 20240309_200434.jpg
    20240309_200434.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240309_195612.jpg
    20240309_195612.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240309_195923.jpg
    20240309_195923.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240309_195535.jpg
    20240309_195535.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
When I was there recently, I wondered the same thing about the structure outside near the entrance. @PaTrainFan I'm glad you got a peek inside.

I'm assuming this is something for the maintenance staff as their area is behind that sliding door right before the escalator/stairs. My other other assumption is that it is an overflow waiting area for those who have connecting trains (e.g. Pennsylvanian to CL, CL to Pennsylvanian)?

Back