Pitts Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
I will have a four hour layover in Pitts in August and was just wondering what that station was like?

I will have a four hour layover in Pitts in August and was just wondering what that station was like?
Sort of a NYP Light! :giggle: Actually its pretty Bare Bones Waiting Room,not real busy! (sort of like a Greyhound Station. :rolleyes: ) We have had several threads on this topic, use Google to get good info on the Station/where to go to eat/drink/sight see etc. during the layover! -

Sort of a NYP Light! :giggle: Actually its pretty Bare Bones Waiting Room,not real busy! (sort of like a Greyhound Station. :rolleyes: ) We have had several threads on this topic, use Google to get good info on the Station/where to go to eat/drink/sight see etc. during the layover! -
Weather permitting I plan on walking down to a place called Permanties which is a sandwhich place I guess is well known in Pitts as it's not to far and from the food network, the sandwhichs look good, but figured that won't take up 4 hours...;-)

There are two funiculars there-one of them is on the south side and not too far from Amtrak

Weather permitting I plan on walking down to a place called Permanties which is a sandwhich place I guess is well known in Pitts as it's not to far and from the food network, the sandwhichs look good, but figured that won't take up 4 hours...;-)
Until your horribly misspelled reference to Primanti Brothers, I couldn't figure out where "Pitts" is. I have never, in my life, ever seen anybody refer to Pittsburgh as "Pitts."
Primanti Bros. is in the Strip District, on 18th. I personally don't care for the sandwiches, as cole slaw is just a step too far. That's pretty much blasphemy to any Yinzer, but too bad.

Until your horribly misspelled reference to Primanti Brothers, I couldn't figure out where "Pitts" is. I have never, in my life, ever seen anybody refer to Pittsburgh as "Pitts."
Primanti Bros. is in the Strip District, on 18th. I personally don't care for the sandwiches, as cole slaw is just a step too far. That's pretty much blasphemy to any Yinzer, but too bad.
I typed Pitts just because I am lazy, I am SO looking forward to trying a "true" legend in the food world. I have seen the Primanti place on the food channel so much I can't wait. From mapping it I don't think it's to far of a walk and just hope it's a nice night. If I had time I would go over and see the Pirates as that is one of the nicest ballparks in the bigs but don't think I can do both since my train gets in around 8pm.

As an FYI, there is a Primanti location in the city as well, about the same distance the other way. Its a 15 min walk or so to Market Square, but there is a bit more to do and see on the way.

They sell Primanti Brothers sandwiches at the ballpark. DO go if you get the chance-it is a great ballpark! You wouldn't be getting the ambience of the original restaurant but then the park is closer to Amtrak.

As an FYI, there is a Primanti location in the city as well, about the same distance the other way. Its a 15 min walk or so to Market Square, but there is a bit more to do and see on the way.
That's kind of like having gone to the Katz's Deli in Austin and thinking of it as the same experience as you would have gotten in New York.

]That's kind of like having gone to the Katz's Deli in Austin and thinking of it as the same experience as you would have gotten in New York.
Touche. I'll give you that. There is something about the one in the strip. I frequent it at 4am-ish. Right after the afterhours bar closes. Tasty good times for all.

They sell Primanti Brothers sandwiches at the ballpark. DO go if you get the chance-it is a great ballpark! You wouldn't be getting the ambience of the original restaurant but then the park is closer to Amtrak.
I have been to the new park for a couple of games and it is wonderful, but my train doesn't get in till 8pm and that is if it is on time, so I would miss a few innings, plus I want to experience the sandwhich place itself...

I saw there were two locations, one down in the warehouse dist. I believe and I think the original and I am guessing the one you speak of at Market Square. both about the same distance. If you don't mind me asking what other things are there to do and see should I chose the Market square location?

The Original is in Oakland... but seriously, unless it's a Friday or Saturday night, I doubt that there's a whole lot of excitement in downtown Pittsburgh. At least, not the kind that you're after.

I typed Pitts just because I am lazy, I am SO looking forward to trying a "true" legend in the food world. I have seen the Primanti place on the food channel so much I can't wait. From mapping it I don't think it's to far of a walk and just hope it's a nice night. If I had time I would go over and see the Pirates as that is one of the nicest ballparks in the bigs but don't think I can do both since my train gets in around 8pm.
Bring antacid and some pepto....and probably a roll of your softest toilet paper.

Bring antacid and some pepto....and probably a roll of your softest toilet paper.
I saw the tv show..shouldn't be any issues...love the exessive foods..;-)

The Original is in Oakland... but seriously, unless it's a Friday or Saturday night, I doubt that there's a whole lot of excitement in downtown Pittsburgh. At least, not the kind that you're after.
It will be a thursday night...

it is an easy bus ride to Oakland (which is much more happening than downtown) $2.25 fare each way.

It's "more happenin'" because of the University of Pittsburgh. If you're leaving downtown, Shadyside might be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back