Pictures and Article on New Amfleet Diner/Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Since it's kind of buried in the Cardinal Diner/Lounge thread, here are the links and my comments for those of you who didn't catch them yet (with some more details):

For those who are curious, I was able to snap some pictures of one of the new Diner-Lounges on the Cardinal today in DC. This particular car represented a mid-generation test model, whose design has since been tweaked slightly; another ADA-accessible table has been added to the dining room, more room has been added to the dining room (by relocating one of three trash receptacles and moving the wall back), etc. Aside from that, everything else is as we will see it on all future models.

Some background:

-All 25 Amfleet II cafe/lounge cars on the roster will be receiving this overhaul. So far, 8 are being used as test models. Amtrak's PR office is pushing the fact that this is a "test in progress" and that some things are bound to change (see above). While the Cardinal has the cars now, the PR folks made it clear that there's no guarantee that they'll stay there. They may decide to move them to another train in a few weeks to test other markets. That said, the response from the Cardinal test has been very good, and revenue has been "through the roof."

-Trains that are running high sleeper numbers will still have the diner, and the Diner/Lounge will be an alternative option and supplement; there are no plans to remove single level Diners from trains at this time. Trains with no/low sleeper numbers (possibly Cardinal, Palmetto, Vermonter, EAE, Carolinian, etc) will have just the Diner/Lounge.

-The Diner/Lounge attendants are being trained on how to use the steam table

-All cars are receiving the wood paneling motif with blue accents and enhanced lighting.

-The coach-side of the car does not come with table cloths, and represents the "lounge" side. Seating is open, first come, first serve.

-The sleeper-side of the car is the "Dining Room" and from what I was able to understand in context, is seated as a Dining Car with shared assigned seats, table cloths, and the same plastic china/metal silverware found in Diner Lite dining cars today. Sleeper Passengers have first-crack, but coach passengers are welcome to place their order at the cafe counter and have a seat for a served meal.

-The menu has been tweaked from the Capitol Limited's prototype. Some appetizers are smaller versions of full entrees, but priced cheaper. A passenger can pay a few dollars less for the economized meal/appetizer, or opt include all of the sides and have the full meal instead; they're trying to cater to folks who would normally scoff at the higher-priced dining car selections. And, by the way, Haagen Dazs "cup-sized" ice cream is stocked in the new freezer.

I've written a brief story on the topic, which may be of some interest: Click Here.

And, for those who like pictures, click here.

-Rafi

-The sleeper-side of the car is the "Dining Room" and from what I was able to understand in context, is seated as a Dining Car with shared assigned seats, table cloths, and the same plastic china/metal silverware found in Diner Lite dining cars today.
I'm assuming that you mean SDS Dining cars, since other than this current test on the Cardinal, I'm not aware of any Diner Lite cars in service today.

-The sleeper-side of the car is the "Dining Room" and from what I was able to understand in context, is seated as a Dining Car with shared assigned seats, table cloths, and the same plastic china/metal silverware found in Diner Lite dining cars today.
I'm assuming that you mean SDS Dining cars, since other than this current test on the Cardinal, I'm not aware of any Diner Lite cars in service today.
<hand hit head>

Yes, you're right, Alan. SDS Dining Cars. Can't keep track of all of these new buzzwords... <grin>

-Rafi

Thanks Rafi for setting us straignt after the depressing report on another forum by someone who tried it. Doesn't sound so bad for the secondary trains as long as they keep a full diner on Silver Service/Crescent/LSL.

What is you opinion on table placement relative to the windows? A little hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks Rafi for setting us straignt after the depressing report on another forum by someone who tried it. Doesn't sound so bad for the secondary trains as long as they keep a full diner on Silver Service/Crescent/LSL.
What is you opinion on table placement relative to the windows? A little hard to tell from the pictures.
You know, the placement didn't seem bad, really. I realize some folks would prefer for the table to be centered on the window itself, and I got the impression that they were certainly aware of that desire. You'll notice that on the lounge side the left-hand tables are centered that way. In fact, that end/side of the car didn't see any tables get moved around. The table tops, cushions, and every surface got replaced, but the placement of the seating on that side stayed the same. On the dining end, they were clearly still playing around with things in terms of table placement. There's that huge gap there on the right hand side where the ADA table will eventually go, and the entire back wall of that side (where trash receptacles and storage cabinets are) will be pushed back a good foot and a half to two feet in order to accommodate that extra table. When all's said and done, there will be at least one booth (possibly an entire table) that will not have a window at all, unfortunately, but they're trying to keep that kind of stuff to a minimum.

I dunno. I'm waiting to see the final version before I cast judgment, really, but from what I saw today, it was fine for my taste. Now, if every seat had a bulkhead next to your ear, then I'd probably have a problem, but that wasn't the case.

-Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
. And, by the way, Haagen Dazs "cup-sized" ice cream is stocked in the new freezer.

-Rafi

Thank yop Rafi...I almost can't wait until the City gets the new car which almost seems inevitable with the low numbers it generates especially on the southern end.

Last edited:

You know, the placement didn't seem bad, really. I realize some folks would prefer for the table to be centered on the window itself, and I got the impression that they were certainly aware of that desire. You'll notice that on the lounge side the left-hand tables are centered that way. In fact, that end/side of the car didn't see any tables get moved around. The table tops, cushions, and every surface got replaced, but the placement of the seating on that side stayed the same. On the dining end, they were clearly still playing around with things in terms of table placement. There's that huge gap there on the right hand side where the ADA table will eventually go, and the entire back wall of that side (where trash receptacles and storage cabinets are) will be pushed back a good foot and a half to two feet in order to accommodate that extra table. When all's said and done, there will be at least one booth (possibly an entire table) that will not have a window at all, unfortunately, but they're trying to keep that kind of stuff to a minimum.

I dunno. I'm waiting to see the final version before I cast judgment, really, but from what I saw today, it was fine for my taste. Now, if every seat had a bulkhead next to your ear, then I'd probably have a problem, but that wasn't the case.

-Rafi
It may not be p.c, but wonder if all the other tables could align correctly if the ADA table was put in the spot where there is no window at all. Since it would be used so infrequently seems like it might make things better for everyone else. I am sure most of the time no one would sit there, so require the crew to use that space for their paperwork or random storage.

. And, by the way, Haagen Dazs "cup-sized" ice cream is stocked in the new freezer.

-Rafi

Thank yop Rafi...I almost can't wait until the City gets the new car which almost seems inevitable with the low numbers it generates especially on the southern end.
Doesn't it use superliners? I hadn't heard of plans to convert it to single levels.

-Rafi

Doesn't it use superliners? I hadn't heard of plans to convert it to single levels.
The City does indeed use Superliners, but Amtrak is also working on a Superliner version of the Diner-Lite car. One such car was tested back in December and January on the Capitol Limited. There were some issues and problems, that supposedly are being corrected, before the car is released again and before work is finished on the other 9 Superliner dining cars currently in Beech Grove in various stages of the conversion.

-Rafi

The City does indeed use Superliners, but Amtrak is also working on a Superliner version of the Diner-Lite car. One such car was tested back in December and January on the Capitol Limited. There were some issues and problems, that supposedly are being corrected, before the car is released again and before work is finished on the other 9 Superliner dining cars currently in Beech Grove in various stages of the conversion.
Has it been confirmed to have ice cream? Not that it really matters.

We have a few running in Silver Service.

Don't know if they are "prototypes"?

Don't know if the stand up freezer is enough for the whole trip or restocked enroute. Now has 2 convection and 2 microwave ovens.

Any comments on the food?

MJ B) B)

It may not be p.c, but wonder if all the other tables could align correctly if the ADA table was put in the spot where there is no window at all. Since it would be used so infrequently seems like it might make things better for everyone else. I am sure most of the time no one would sit there, so require the crew to use that space for their paperwork or random storage.
Well, I can relate this:

When they pointed the ADA spot out to me, he mentioned that they took the time to make sure it had a window.

As for the crew space for paperwork, they've actually built a special room in the car across from the bathroom on the lounge side for that very purpose. It's basically an in-wall desk/hutch area with a folding phonebooth-esque door that slides closed. If you've been on an Acela and seen the "computer room" in the cafe on those trains, it's very similar, minus the computer screen.

The "random storage" space that we've all come to know and love seems to have been addressed in some manner, as there is a ton of cabinet storage across from the in-wall trash receptacles on the dining end just inside from the vestibule (where the bathroom would usually be).

-Rafi

-Rafi

There was a report of ice cream on one of the west coast trains. Not sure if it was the Coast Starlight or the Surfliners.

There was a report of ice cream on one of the west coast trains. Not sure if it was the Coast Starlight or the Surfliners.
Well I had ice cream last June on the Coast Starlight, as well as the Empire Builder which never lost ice cream since it never went to SDS food service.

As for the Cardinal, according to what Rafi was told by Amtrak, they are indeed putting ice cream into the new Diner-Lite car that has been assigned to the Cardinal. Whether ice cream will be expanded to the rest of the trains remains a mystery at this point.

I believe there is a funny column to be written by a writer better than I am, about how Amtrak has banished ice cream from its trains.

Well, I can relate this:

When they pointed the ADA spot out to me, he mentioned that they took the time to make sure it had a window.

As for the crew space for paperwork, they've actually built a special room in the car across from the bathroom on the lounge side for that very purpose. It's basically an in-wall desk/hutch area with a folding phonebooth-esque door that slides closed. If you've been on an Acela and seen the "computer room" in the cafe on those trains, it's very similar, minus the computer screen.

The "random storage" space that we've all come to know and love seems to have been addressed in some manner, as there is a ton of cabinet storage across from the in-wall trash receptacles on the dining end just inside from the vestibule (where the bathroom would usually be).

-Rafi
thanks Rafi. Seems like they are paying attention to the details that matter to passengers. Now if they could just figure out about the windows... By the way, as you know the Palmetto's cafe-lounge is also half business class. It is very nicely done with leather seating in 2-1 seating arrangement, so you do get more space for your money. Any plans to have a half business class modification for these cars?

thanks Rafi. Seems like they are paying attention to the details that matter to passengers. Now if they could just figure out about the windows... By the way, as you know the Palmetto's cafe-lounge is also half business class. It is very nicely done with leather seating in 2-1 seating arrangement, so you do get more space for your money. Any plans to have a half business class modification for these cars?
You know, I had the same thought/question yesterday, but forgot to ask. I have to wonder how the nice cafe/business cars are going to factor into this. All I was told was that there were 25 Amfleet II cafe/lounges on the roster, and that those are the only ones targeted for the rebuild/refit. I don't think that includes the cafe/business cars, but perhaps someone else on the board knows....

-Rafi

I believe there is a funny column to be written by a writer better than I am, about how Amtrak has banished ice cream from its trains.
Yeah, lots of possible, mostly nauseating, puns come to mind..... Something about trying to churn up some business for the diners, or milking it for all it's worth, the best suppliers were all frozen out of the business........Whatever you write, try to make it interesting, not just plain vanilla..... And, let's see.. which route would end up with Rocky Road? Hope you sell the story and make a mint :)

(And the coffee for this board would be:...... Chock Full O'Nuts ) :lol: :lol:

ok, back to my padded cell... :(

You know, I had the same thought/question yesterday, but forgot to ask. I have to wonder how the nice cafe/business cars are going to factor into this. All I was told was that there were 25 Amfleet II cafe/lounges on the roster, and that those are the only ones targeted for the rebuild/refit. I don't think that includes the cafe/business cars, but perhaps someone else on the board knows....

-Rafi
There are no Amfleet II cars with half business class. All 25 lounges have no revenue seating in them. I don't know if they're planning to rebuild the Amfleet I club dinettes.

There are no Amfleet II cars with half business class. All 25 lounges have no revenue seating in them. I don't know if they're planning to rebuild the Amfleet I club dinettes.
While nothing that Amtrak does surprises me, at least not too much, it would make no sense to rebuild the Club-Dinettes as they've just been rebuilt. In fact I believe that a few more cars are still in the conversion process to Club-Dinette. So converting them once again would be throwing away all that money that just got spent over the last 2 to 3 years.

And I agree at the moment there are no Amfleet II cars with half-business. Now I suppose that they could take some of the 25 AMF II lounge cars and give them a Diner-Lite make over, but instead of all tables put BC seating on one side.

Returned from Charlottesville aboard the Cardinal yesterday, and took the opportunity to use the Table Service in the Lounge/Diner. Must admit this is a big leap forward from the Cardinal food I was used to. I was suprised how "welcome" I was as a coach passenger, though I will say I never heard a word mentioned about this option, and saw most of my fellow coach passengers "feeding" themselves back at their seats with Lays and Mountain Dews. That much said, while I was there, I was one of 6 passengers eating, and 5 of us were out of coach.

I had a chance to look at the menu, and it's fairly similar to SDS on other LD trains - but with dinner being the main exception. Options there were

a) Beef Short Rib with Mashed Potatoes

B ) Chicken Cacciatore

c) Salmon with Rice

d) Cheese Ravioli

I opted for the Salmon with Rice and found it to be quite good. Accompanying it were well prepared carrots and a small portion of a corn-red bean medley.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/mtabu...pg?t=1190641254

Ice Cream was indeed available, though the car was quite cold - only one person wanted some - I instead opted for the cake, and a coffee to warm up.

A very big leap forward for the Cardinal, indeed.

-Rafi

I'll send you 20 street tough kids who love ice cream for a 20 plus hour delayed #2 (with NO ice cream) and we'll soon see how much "it really matters." I had to endure the wrath of my 6 year old grand daughter when the lounge car ran out of pizza. You would have thought somebody had kidnapped Sponge Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back