Picking Up Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auxplage

Train Attendant
Should I pick up my tickets in advance or just wait until the day of departure (I am planning on getting to the station around an hour before departure)?

The station, Newport News (which I assume is not too busy), is around forty minutes from my house, so it is not too far - just far enough for me to be lazy.

Thanks

I've never felt a need to pick up tickets at any point other than the day of departure. I just use the Quik-Trak machine to print the tickets, then hop on board. Plus, if you ever need to cancel at the last minute, it's free and easy. NPN is staffed, so if there's any problem they'll be able to help you out.

The only time I ever had a problem was when I was going CRT-Toronto on the Maple Leaf. I was traveling with my father, who had never stepped foot on an Amtrak train before (and couldn't remember if he had ever been on a train pre-Amtrak) and was hoping to create a very good impression of rail travel.

We arrived at the station early, went in, and approached the Quik-Trak machine (there is no Amtrak agent at CRT, just a machine). I used it to pull up our reservation and then it began printing our tickets. Or at least it tried to. It ended up not giving us anything and switching to an out of service message. I immediately called Amtrak, and was told to explain the situation to the conductor, and that we would have to ride to Albany, where we would have to run into the station quickly and repurchase our tickets from scratch, at our own expense. Then we'd have to send the ticket stubs to Amtrak for reimbursement. Needless to say, this was not how I wanted the trip to start! My father handled it very well, though, and we got on board and explained the situation to the conductor. He told us he'd make a call and get back to us. A few stops down the line, he jumped off the train, ran into the station, and then ran back. He promptly showed up at our seats with our original tickets which he had the station print for us before the train arrived, which was a very nice surprise! My father was very pleased and it set the tone for a wonderful rest of the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never felt a need to pick up tickets at any point other than the day of departure. I just use the Quik-Trak machine to print the tickets, then hop on board. Plus, if you ever need to cancel at the last minute, it's free and easy. NPN is staffed, so if there's any problem they'll be able to help you out.
Thanks.

The scenario you described is what I imagined happening to me: I am sometimes over cautious. However, since the station is staffed as you mentioned, all will be well. :)

Dont kid youself about the New Port News station. It can get quite crowed just before train time. #66 northbound has a 4:20 PM dep.weekdays a # 194 9:00 AM dep. SAT & SUN and a # 94 9:10 AM dep on week days. Thats only one morning dep. I ride these trains often and it can be a mad house at times. Go B/C if you can. People come by bus from Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Lots of commuter traffic. Give yourself some time. Have a good trip. :)

I've always been a guy who wants to have "tickets in hand" for a trip. I learned having them picked up "before" can be a hassle if something needs to be changed. Since I have a small station in my town, I usually go down the day before. We have excellent employees in LNK but there's one that just can't seemed to figure things out. (he is new) So I usually call and see if he is working, if he is, I avoid going down there. I also call and see who is working the night I depart. If its the guys that are "up to snuff", I leave it for when I depart.

I've always been a guy who wants to have "tickets in hand" for a trip. I learned having them picked up "before" can be a hassle if something needs to be changed. Since I have a small station in my town, I usually go down the day before. We have excellent employees in LNK but there's one that just can't seemed to figure things out. (he is new) So I usually call and see if he is working, if he is, I avoid going down there. I also call and see who is working the night I depart. If its the guys that are "up to snuff", I leave it for when I depart.
I've found that this approach usually gives some peace of mind. I have a station here in Columbia, and I've picked up my tickets before my day of departure (even when Columbia isn't my departing station and Silver Star isn't my train). I think it's just a smart thing to do (if it is convenient) because you never what will happen on the day of departure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back