Pick a sleeping car line number...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratkinson

Conductor
Amtrak has an inconsistent sleeping car numbering scheme that drives me nuts as it differs from one long distance train to another. For most sleeper passengers, it's not a problem. But spending about 15 nights or more in a sleeper, it's one of those Amtrak inconsistencies that makes me crazy. (and yes, they 'came and took me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee', but they sent me back!)

For example, I'm currently aboard the Silver Star #91 to West Palm Beach. I'm in the 2nd sleeper behind the lounge car and it's the '11' car, eg, 9111. Makes sense as the first sleeper is usually the '10' car, 9710. Both the Star and Meteor have the '10' car as the first sleeper. But on the Capitol Ltd, the first sleeper nearest to (eg, in front of) the formerly known as a dining car is the 2900, the zero car! Then preceeded by the '01' car as the sleepers are at the front of the train.

But on the Lakeshore Ltd, the '11' car is the first NY section car behind the brand new Viewliner II first class lounge (aka, built as a full service diner) and the '12' car, 4912, directly behind that.

And on the Coast Starlight this past April, I was in the 1130 car, the 3rd sleeper from the front of the diner! The trans/dorm car was in front of that!

But the real fun and games for car numbering is for those trains that are separated/joined enroute. In particular, the Lakeshore Ltd, Texas Eagle/Sunset Ltd, and the Empire Builder. The Boston section sleeper of the Lakeshore Ltd is a '20' car, whereas on the Texas Eagle, the through sleeper to/from LA is the '30' car. The Portland sleeper on the Empire Builder is a '30' car as well.

Then we get to the transition/dorm Superliner sleepers. On the Capitol Ltd, it's a '40' car. I've never been booked in any of the trans/dorms other than on the Capitol Ltd, so I don't know what line numbers they use. Perhaps Amtrak is consistent on trans/dorm line numbers...but I wouldn't make book on it.

And it's anyones' guess what line numbers the new baggage/dorm cars will carry IF they sell a couple rooms that will not be needed by a full dining car crew. Maybe they'll be 40's as well as they're dorm cars.

I'm reasonably sure that the cookoo number scheme is somehow a hand-me-down from pre-Amtrak days. But after 48 years they haven't made it consistent?

Yes, it's a minor annoyance made even more annoying as the line numbers on the cars as frequently wrong.

Back