Philadelphia to Seattle- A cost Comparison Plane vs Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying domestic or international, there is no difference in the security you're subjected to (at least, not at the security checkpoint) when departing from a US airport. All passengers funnel through the same checkpoints and the planes often board from the same gates.
International travelers may be given additional scrutiny, but it doesn't happen at the checkpoint. So, comparing one's TSA screening experiences doesn't make a difference if you are traveling domestic or international.
Yeah. The funny thing is that it does make a difference in many places in the opposite direction, something that very few of the train bigots in the US who never ever fly have never experienced. :) The re many countries where US bound passengers undergo a second mandatory security check at the gate after the regular airport security check.

In US airports, AFAIK only departures for Israel undergo a mandatory second security check at the gate, which depending on the Israelis idea of what security check should be, may involve a serious pat down for select people, though I have never seen one of those beyond just a simple wanding, and El Al flights I am told get a special third one too, but I don;t know for sure since I have never flown El Al.

'train bigots'? :help:

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Some comments make me wonder if I really want to spend 3 days at the AU Gathering.

"Train bigots" are those that keep on incessantly bad mouthing anyone that deigns to enjoy riding any other mode of transportation and proclaim loudly that they never would even if their life depended on it. ;)

That is different from a "railfan" who just like to ride on and photograph traIns and related stuff without necessarily having a prejudice against other modes.

Au has a few of the former and lot of the latter with a special focus on Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is different from a "railfan" who just like to ride on and photograph traIns and related stuff without necessarily having a prejudice against other modes.
Well, I don't like buses, I prefer to take the train whenever I can, but I will drive and fly if I have to, I do have a prejudice in that I will always pick a train unless it REALLY doesn't make sense and/or is REALLY much more expensive. I won't put anyone down for not doing so, however; to each their own! Just my personal thing ;)

In US airports, AFAIK only departures for Israel undergo a mandatory second security check at the gate, which depending on the Israelis idea of what security check should be, may involve a serious pat down for select people, though I have never seen one of those beyond just a simple wanding, and El Al flights I am told get a special third one too, but I don;t know for sure since I have never flown El Al.
My mother flew El Al within the last five years and she said she got taken into a private room for an interview while waiting to board, state side, for a plane to Israel.

But what you must remember about airfares: airlines are NOT charging what they should be, and instead are lumping on fees to cover their costs ... fees which raise them $$-Billions in revenue.
I didn't mention airfares. I only said that many airplane fans take great enjoying from flying even though the general public dosen't like it much.

"Train bigots" are those that keep on incessantly bad mouthing anyone that deigns to enjoy riding any other mode of transportation and proclaim loudly that they never would even if their life depended on it. ;)

AU has a few of the former and lot of the latter with a special focus on Amtrak.
I agree, I'm a railfan, but not a train bigot. Nor am I a bug bigot as I am sometimes protrayed. I'd be willing to ride any mode of transport depending on the situation. I ride buses most because they fit in well with my needs, that's all. That has led to my increasing prefernce for intercity buses. However, I don't like transit buses much because they have to deal with too much crowding and congestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back