Personal News

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy City LSA

Service Attendant
Hello, group.

I received a call earlier today. I'm recalled as of tomorrow! I was about as shocked as I was when furloughed. Not from the call itself, but it's much earlier then I expected. It seems this is a result of the Whitefish jobs going up for bid today. So for those of you traveling the Empire Bulider soon, it seems the Upper Lounge will be back in service in the near future!

I have mixed feelings in large part due to the shaky short-term future of Amtrak. Particularily, the D-Day June 30th, and the possibility of 2 of 3 Michigan routes being discontinued. I figure I could be permanently done with Amtrak in the not so distant future. The news is also bittersweet for me because I have been seeking "local" employment while furloughed since I have personal uncertanties of whether or not I'll be able to handle the job and travel. It's life on the Extra Board that is really the problem! So after another pyhsical and a safety class, I should be back on the rails in a couple of weeks. Although I will be attempting to get 2 training/refresher trips.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my "good" news.

Great to hear, Windy.

Yeah, the timing on these things never works out right, but having to choose between two jobs, while stressful, is a heck of a lot better than not having any!

Best Wishes,

JPS

x-press said:
Great to hear, Windy.
Yeah, the timing on these things never works out right, but having to choose between two jobs, while stressful, is a heck of a lot better than not having any!

Best Wishes,

JPS
I hadn't been sucessful in landing another job, yet. So it's a no brainer. No choice to be made this time.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm happy, yet nervous.

AmtrakFan said:
You'll have to tell us how all of this goes once you get on the road.
I'll still visit here...even if I only have 48 hours off between trips. :) I'll post anything I see or hear that seems relavent.

Well, there you go! I'm glad it worked out. Take the furlough in stride, and then forget about it. Your a "newby" for the most part, so the whole issue regarding the craft is only yours to make of it. Don't get bogged down by pessimist on the road. Have fun, work hard (like you have to try!!!) and make that money!

Like everyone has said, LSAs are the most important folks on the trains regarding the new operating program so you've the best chance of making something out of the diner-lite program. Also being very new, with your previous background, can open doors to those all important manager jobs. You never know!!! :D :lol: :p

If you ever get a special assignment on 3/4, let me know as I start my big move to Grand Canyon this week for the new Customer Services/Park Service job at FLG. :rolleyes:

happy for u as well. maybe i see u in chicago when I come in on train 4 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back