Pere Marquette Weekly Special?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was checking the weekly specials online tonite, and noticed that the Pere Marquette (Grand Rapids, MI to Chicago) special had been extended well into August, and to make me happier yet, they cut the "regular" weekly rate from $8 to $4. So for $8 roundtrip, guess who reserved a few seats a couple of times from here to the end of the special? :D

This brings me to my question. With Amtrak facing the critics that it does, how can a rate this low be offered? I understand that Amtrak is facing a 1 million dollar cut in the upcoming Michigan budget, and was wondering if this was possibly done to bolster ridership numbers to try and save that million dollar cut?

Alrite, must have been a glitch in the system, (Online ticketing), or else someone from Amtrak saw my post. Today when I checked the Weekly Special for the Pere Marquette, the weekly special rate was back up to its "regular" special $8 one way fare from GR to CHI and vice versa.

I guess it helps to check the specials in the wee early morning hours. LOL. I guess I should have ordered on extra ticket just to save to show my grand kids that once upon a time you could ride the train from GR to Chicago for $4. Then again I hope they don't ask "What's a train Grandpa?"

Back