Perception of Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
taking the train IS CHEAPER when you go coach. and going first class in a plane your still cheaper in a amtrak roomette.
I said in some cases. And it still isn't cheap, not Greyhound cheap.
As a dog rider, I gotta tell you that for longer-distance runs, Greyhound aint that cheap.
Greyhound's average ticket price between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa is around $70... that's exactly TWICE the price of the average one way ticket price on the Silver Star in coach. With that $35 in savings, I can have a well cooked meal, a few drinks, and get there 2 whole hours quicker. Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue as to how Greyhound can keep that route in business with its current fares.

Greyhound's average ticket price between Ft Lauderdale and Tampa is around $70... that's exactly TWICE the price of the average one way ticket price on the Silver Star in coach. With that $35 in savings, I can have a well cooked meal, a few drinks, and get there 2 whole hours quicker. Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue as to how Greyhound can keep that route in business with its current fares.
Many folks just don't think of Amtrak!

Many folks just don't think of Amtrak!
That's also true for tourists form Europe. If you ask an european travel agent about travel options in the US he will certainly mention rented cars and planes, maybe also Greyhound, but knowledge about Amtrak not very widespread.

Surprisingly the Canadian, the IndianPacific and especially the Ghan in Canada and Australia are far better known than Amtrak Trains. Only the CZ has a certain reputation in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an exercise that'll help you determine what the perception of trains are in the United States.

Tell 100 people you are a train enthusiast and ask them for their honest opinion of you. Then tell 100 people you are a car enthusiast and then ask them for their honest opinion.

You'll be very disappointed.

Do I agree with it? No. But that's the reality. If you get off the railroad boards you'll find out very quickly how little trains are on the general public's radar.

Here's an exercise that'll help you determine what the perception of trains are in the United States.
Tell 100 people you are a train enthusiast and ask them for their honest opinion of you. Then tell 100 people you are a car enthusiast and then ask them for their honest opinion.

You'll be very disappointed.

Do I agree with it? No. But that's the reality. If you get off the railroad boards you'll find out very quickly how little trains are on the general public's radar.
Agree with you 100%.

But I notice when I tell them I ride x-country on Amtrak their eyes light up and a torrent of questions comes; how long does it take? What's it cost? How's the food? What do you do all day?

Heck, we all know those questions and more. We just need to educate them a little and expose them to the world of travel by train. I get a big smile from them when I say that the people you meet on the train are there because they want to be there.

Most of them say they'd like to do it sometime. Probably most of them won't, but I'm not going to be shy about talking about it.

I just finished reading two articles in the Wall Street Journal. The first described the hugh amount of excess capacity in the economy, including manufacturing and transportation, even mentioning Union Pacific's excess freight carrying capacity.
Do these guys really know what they are talking about? Remember, UP has been spending multi-millions to increase capacity, particularly between Los Angeles and El Paso, but not only there. About the only places where I can think of significant excesses in capacity existing would be in the very lightly populated states that have good systems of two lane highways. Otherwise, for the most part our transportation system needs a lot of work.

As far as Family Guy is concerned, the only way I would watch that show is tied to a chair with my eyes glued open.

I just finished reading two articles in the Wall Street Journal. The first described the hugh amount of excess capacity in the economy, including manufacturing and transportation, even mentioning Union Pacific's excess freight carrying capacity.
Do these guys really know what they are talking about? Remember, UP has been spending multi-millions to increase capacity, particularly between Los Angeles and El Paso, but not only there. About the only places where I can think of significant excesses in capacity existing would be in the very lightly populated states that have good systems of two lane highways. Otherwise, for the most part our transportation system needs a lot of work.

As far as Family Guy is concerned, the only way I would watch that show is tied to a chair with my eyes glued open.
I believe you're thinking of...

RobotChicken_S1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back