Pennsylvanian OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickrapak

Service Attendant
I was thinking of taking a short turn on the Pennsylvanian this coming Sunday to commemorate Amtrak's 40th. Since I am in State College, I was thinking of either driving to Altoona to pick up the train going east and then come back west; or go to Lewistown, go west, and then come back east again. (I would end up going to Altoona anyway to pick up the tickets) The major problem is the scheduling. If the trains are on time or the EB train is the only one late, it's better for me to go to Lewistown and turn in Huntingdon (I have a 12 minute buffer). If the WB train is over 20 net min. late (WB late-EB late), it would be better for me to leave from Altoona and swap in Huntingdon.

So basically, I am looking for historical OTP for the Pennsy on Sundays. The only data I was able to get from the Amtrak Delays site was this past Sunday's data, which is worthless due to it being Easter. Should I expect a longer delay WB or EB? Are they usually both on time on Sundays? Am I mad for having this idea? :wacko: Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Unless you can accept a night in the station you might want to reconsider a 12 minute connection.

Murphy is a heck of a guy and he will always strike when least desired.

I have had 4 hr connections that were "tight" due to delays, car vs. train, track work, brush fires, and a woman attempting suicide who drove her car down the tracks (She survived as she ran into the train stopped at the station.)

Either way a 12 min connection is tempting fate and encourging Murphy

Last edited by a moderator:
If your from Horsham why not do a turn on the Keystoners or even better do turns to WIL and TRE or any points you want. I also live in Montgomery County PA. Just a thought.
Right now, I'm at Penn State, although my home is in Horsham, hence the necessity for a central PA round trip.

That being said, the one stop that for some reason escaped me was Tyrone. I could take the short hop from ALT to TYR and back. It gives me a 45-minute window, and there's an evening Greyhound, in case something unforeseen happens. Not only that, but at $5.00 each way, and with the double points promo, it ends up being 2.5 cents per point, or 40 points/$!

On another topic, why haven't any of the anniversary engines made it on the Pennsy? I know it's kind of a captive route, but since the engines are staying on the Eastern Seaboard until the 7th, it would be nice for at least one of them to make a run across the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back