Pennsylvanian and Club Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exiled in Express

Lead Service Attendant
A short hop but full of new experiences and charm.

I arrived in PHL via US Airways and timed my arrival at the airport SEPTA station almost perfectly, arriving 30th Street 45 minutes after touchdown. Thanks to the generosity of our own boxcar817 :hi: I was able to gain admission to the Club Acela to pass the nearly 2 hours to train time.

I was at 30th Street early enough that I could have made the earlier Keystone but I would to have had to exchange tickets wait upon arrival in Lancaster and that is not fun at all. Additionally I had the Club pass and booked Business Class for an additonal $4.50, the appeal of telling that tale alone made it worth it.

The entrance to the PHL is really tucked away in a back corner, I wasn't sure I was in the right place until I saw the signs. There was some confusion about trying to gain entry with someone else's pass but was admitted within a minute of approaching the attendant. There were perhaps 8-10 other passengers in the club making it very emplty. After settling in with a view of the concourse and locating power for my phone I looked over the breakfast spread and while not hungry was disappointed to only find prepackaged muffins and soda/coffee available. I did some brief reading and watched the comings and goings of the station and a complete turnover of the club occupants in the 90 minutes I was there. A the attendant was sending some southbound sleeper passengers on the way I asked about the status of my train, the Pennsylvanian, and was told that there was elevator available and would have to join the general boarding line shortly.

Boarding was the usual Mainline mess with a line of 100+ snaking around the concourse. Several passengers got turned away for holding Keystone tickets and sent to exchange for the reserved train. Upon descending to the platform I found the Business class car at the rear of the train and immediately to my right. A vocal conductor stepped in every 2-3 minutes to identify the car the as such and chasing away those that just boarded through the first door they saw.

Train left on time as far I as was concerned with tickets collected quickly with about about a third of the business seats occupied. Wanting to get the most bang for my $4.50 I was in the cafe car claiming my included beverage by Ardmore, surprised to get a full sized can and that there seemed to be no accounting for this stock. Also bought a pizza and enjoyed the fleeing suburbs over lunch. A refill on the way back to my seat and enjoyed the countryside in the pleasantly quiet car. Ontime arrival and I am pleased to report the Lancaster station actually looks like it is undergoing renovations now compared to the past 2 years of drapped plastic sheeting.

Overall the Club Acela is a great improvement over the general waiting lounge and business class was nice but summed up by the conductor's sarcastic tone when referrring to it. Nothing too special but a value at the current price.

The Lancaster station did get some improvements but there was recently an article in the Lancaster paper how the station renovations never included some painting and other cosmetic uprgrades.

The ride between PHL-LNC is best in the fall IMO. But the access to Center City from the Airport via Train is great. The tracks are easy to find and it's a short 20 minute ride to 30th Street.

Clubacela is a bit hidden but those who know the station like I do, know exactly where it is and the shortcuts to get to it. Overall PHL is a beaut. I go over to the station frequently to watch the Solari Board flip, and people watch. There's always one person who just makes the train, each and every train. They hustle down the stairs and somehow just make it. I've yet to see one passenger come back up from the platform. Although the communication between station personal and train crews is constant. From the time the train leaves WIL, TRE, PAO, or ARD till the last passenger goes running down the stairway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back